Racism Races on...

Racism, a definition we read as “hatred or intolerance of another race or other races” at www.dictionary.com. Hatred or intolerance towards another race in my opinion is appalling. How could you possibly ever dream of showing hatred or intolerance towards someone just because they are of a different race? In the Pulitzer Prize winning novel “To Kill a Mockingbird” written by Harper Lee we are given a depiction of exactly how African Americans were treated. This novel brings attention to the readers of a serious civil rights issue.

We see throughout the novel how African Americans were treated just because of their race. These people were treated cruelly and unlawfully. African Americans were not allowed the same privileges and rights as Whites and they were thought to be of no good use except as servants towards the Whites. What is it about skin color and physical appearance that makes these people “less than us”? In the novel “To Kill a Mockingbird” we come to understand that an African American man is being convicted of a rape charge. Through reading the story we come to learn that this man was convicted simply out of hatred towards the African American race, when he was honestly innocent.

I would like to say at this point that racism was a “thing of the past”, something that is long over and done with; however, I cannot say that because I would be lying. Racism is something that is still raging throughout the world today. I am proud to say that African Americans are now given the same privileges and rights as Americans, but racism towards this race is not something that has gone away. American needs to open their eyes and realize that this is an issue that needs to be dealt with. What happened to all men are created equally? Do you believe that racism is over and done with? Or do you believe that it still lurks around every corner?

Treefiddy said...
Feb. 11, 2011 at 1:36 am
No, I don't agree. America is not a racist nation. The charlatans who preech that America is a racist nation are playing lip service to the idea that everybody is a victim. There are too many people who are victims of the victim mentality. It is irresponsible to preech false victimhood.

Angelswatchme replied...
Well u have a point. but it is actally true if u think about it Every one at some point was victim of something. though i dont think all america is racist,  its still a problem for some people. and you dont have to be african american to be a victim of it. its any race against anyother. I dont see how "white" or "black" describes someone, its only a color. and honestly African americans were victims but so where some "white" people who didnt think african americans should be treated th... (more »)