In defense of "that's so gay" This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

The controversial expression “that’s so gay” is uttered by many tolerant high school students. It is an innocent idiom and should be the least of society’s concerns. Unfortunately, gay rights activists attack the phrase like it’s hate speech.

Certain activists see the word “gay” in the phrase literally and associate it with homosexuality. However, among our generation, the everyday understanding of the phrase has absolutely nothing to do with sexuality.

For example, when students say a homework assignment is “so gay”, they are saying that it is pointless. After all, can homework really have sexuality?

What students mean is that the assignment is “so pointless.” When they say the phrase, they do not equate “pointless” with “homosexuality” because they are commenting on a useless chore, not a sexual orientation.

I have uttered the expression many times. But it is ludicrous to say that I would mean anything other than the fact that an assignment was futile busywork.

Nonetheless, I have heard hateful speech at school. Whether justified by the Old Testament or an ignorant upbringing, there is hate speech to worry about. Those that hate based on ignorance and fear should be shamed.

However, those who use innocent slang should be left alone.

In our society, we focus on addressing harmful actions. That is why the police are supposed to focus on preventing drunk driving, not jay walking.

Likewise, students who say “that’s so gay” do not violate other students’ right, according to my high school's Agenda, “to be in an environment free of discrimination.” The phrase also does not create “a hostile, offensive or intimidating environment based on … sexual orientation” because the phrase does not describe people.

The Agenda rightfully focuses on actions harmful to students. The phrase does not discriminate because it is free of homophobic meaning. While certain gay rights advocates see an ignorant, hateful expression, I see teenage slang unrelated to homosexuality.

But to those who are offended by my words, I regret my inarticulate speech habits. I hope you will forgive my own and others’ politically incorrect speech: we are not your enemies.

But attacking students’ harmless slang? That’s so pointless.

BreezyS said...
I agree to some extent, but this is where the problem lies. Most people opposing gay marriage, or homosexuality have their oppositions stemming from naivety, mostly in how others feel. While they aren't as bad, people who use "thats so gay" as 'innocent slang' are speaking without regard as to how others feel. What does "thats so gay" mean anyway? Most people use it to refer to something negative, like the example you used as homework. So, even if they dont mean i... (more »)

Yasmin E. said...
this is so true, when ever that phrase is used in school ten people turn around and give you a death stare like you just said GAY PEOPLE DESERVE DEATH, when actually its just a miss used phrase that to be honest should be the least of our concerns in-as messed up of an enviroment as-high school.

JesusandHisLawyersThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 17, 2014 at 4:27 am
stop straight people 2K14

Aug. 17, 2014 at 4:25 am
Straight peple don't to decide what words they can reclaim to mean different things. That's not how it works. Just like straight people are not allowed to reclaim queer or fag(got) or dyke or any other phrase that has come to mean derogatory things. The fact of the matter is, the phrase "that's so gay" essentially equates gay to mean stupid, bad, boring, ugly, etc. etc. etc. So yeah, don't use it.

mirandaxgail replied...
I'm straight but I respect this comment so much

AnnaOfMirkwoodThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
I'm not straight and I respect this. 

SallySunshine replied...
Feb. 7 at 10:21 pm
Straight people can do anything they want. You don't get to decide what people can do, especially based on their sexuality.

JesusandHisLawyersThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Feb. 9 at 9:01 pm
You can do whatever you want, but if you're straight, your opinion on LGBTA issues doesn't mean jack.

SELI-chan replied...
Feb. 19 at 2:21 am
I love how also people want to comment their sexual/romantic orientation on this. "I'm straight, but..." I guess I'll continue the chain, then. I'm pan, and yeah, I like this comment. 'Queer' has been reclaimed, for a good reason. Saying LBGTIAPPD (sorry if I left anything out) every time gets tiring, and 'queer' is a good, non-biased term for people who aren't cis-het. Unfortunately, not everyone uses it which sucks because the people who don't categorize themselves in the LGT (bisexual erasur... (more »)

SELI-chan replied...
Feb. 19 at 2:34 am
I find it funny how people find it necessary to mention their sexual/romantic orientation. Continuing the chain, I'm pan and I totally agree. Adding on, I think that people should use 'queer' more as an umbrella term, rather than LGBT, because that promotes asexual and aromantic, genderfluid, agender, pansexual/romantic, polysexual/romantic, demisexual/romantic, intersex people, erasure (and I know I'm forgetting more). 'Queer' is great because you no longer have to say LGBTAPDI+ every single ti... (more »)

Feb. 19 at 9:32 pm
idk if you want my two cents on the word queer but here we go anyway: I'm a lesbian and I hate the word queer. I hate it when people call me queer and I hate it when people refer to the community as the "queer community" because you can reclaim a slur all you want but that doesn't change the fact that it's a slur and you really SHOULD NOT be using it in reference to people other than yourself. But I couldn't care less if someone uses it to refer to themselves. *shrug* straight people really ju... (more »)

SallySunshine replied...
Feb. 22 at 3:07 pm
@JesusandHisLawyers Everyone's opinion matters. If you want to ignore some peoples' opinions, then you are free to do so, but you will only gain ignorance.

Feb. 22 at 6:22 pm
@SallySunshine, straight people's opinions on issues that they don't understand and don't effect them are completely irrelevant, in the same way that men's opinions on feminism, or white people's opinions are racism are completely irrelevant. Have all the opinions you want, but don't expect anybody in the community to give a sh_t. (@SELI-chan, hmu on tumblr, same username, if you'd like to have a discussion on my views on queer and other similar issues, I'd love to hear your take and have a dial... (more »)

LouderthanBombsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Hearing this would also probably discourage people who are closeted to come out, because they are unsure of these people's intentions.

slowenowen said...
This might not be intentionally malcious, but, at the very least, it is inadvertently ignorant. You're saying that it's okay to use the word "gay" as anything you please, and that it isn't offensive, but in reality, that isn't at all true. First off, you aren't a part of the LGBTQ+ community. You have no right to assert what is offensive and what isn't to us. Yes, you do have a right to express your opinion, but I'm going to step out and say that it's wr... (more »)

Darth Jim Scott said...
If we are going to be literal here.  Historically the word  "gay" simply means happy, joyous or positive.   It's only later on that homosexual persons adopted it as a code word to identify themselves to others of their preference in a society that was negatively predisposed to their behavior.   Thus to make it a negative is more akin to making the word "bad" a positive.  "Yo that suit is bad my brohter!" Translation "Gee you loo... (more »)

Cyber said...
It's fantastic that you have lgbt+ friends, but that doesn't give you the right to tell us what to be offended by. This article isn't malicious, but it IS a bit ignorant. You are not a member of this community; you cannot know what is or isn't offensive.

screen name said...
Feb. 22, 2014 at 10:17 am
So, your name is Jack, right? What if people decided to start using Jack as a synonym for anything they consider inferior? "Dude, you're wearing pink?? That's so Jack."     "Dude, my homework was stupid last night. It was so ****ing Jack."     They would have decided that you were inferior, and therefore your name would make a great negative adjective. "That's so gay" IS hate speech. Also, you are a straight guy.... (more »)

Dudeguy replied...
People already say that. "dude, we got twelve pages of homework, that's jacked up." What about figures of speech such as "Sally-SobStory" or "Average Joe"? Should the Jacks and Joes and such say that they're offended, and people cant tell them they shouldnt be, since they're not part of the Jack community and wouldn't understand?

CharleyLatta said...
Being gay myself, I find it offensive when someone says "That's so gay".