Is Gay Marriage Really That Bad? | Teen Ink

Is Gay Marriage Really That Bad?

October 30, 2010
By Bookworm_Belle GOLD, Surprise, Arizona
Bookworm_Belle GOLD, Surprise, Arizona
19 articles 1 photo 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
You will never know whats on the next lily pad unless you leap


The subject of gay marriage is very popular. I am for gay marriage, here is why. First of all, no amendment states that gay people CAN'T get married. However it does separate the state from the church, which is not the same. The states that have banned gay marriage have twisted the constitution around and have distorted the amendments to fit in their favor.

Second, how is it any different from a man and a woman getting married? Yes they are the same sex, so what, that doesn’t mean that we should restrict them from getting married. Gays should have the right to be happy just like people who are straight. I myself am not gay but that doesn’t mean I am an ignorant person who disagrees with gay marriage. Marriage is about love not gender, or what the constitution states.

Third there are many gay people in the United States. You might know a few whether they be a family member, friend, co-worker, etc. you say you want them to be happy. But how can they be happy if a person they know is against gay marriage.

I respect those who are against it, but I challenge those who have another prospective to take another point of view and think 'How would I feel if I was gay and my friends didn't approve of my marriage?'


The author's comments:
I read another article on Teen Ink called Gay Marriage In The US. When I was reading it I was thinking how to reply and show my stand on the subject.