The Right to Love

America has for many years stood for freedom and natural rights, the constitution, which has been amended to as the United States became more enlightened, states the equal rights of all men. To exclude homosexuals from these rights would be the equivalent of excluding women or different races. The U.S. is blessed and known for the amount of fairness and equality they give to all of their citizens. Not allowing same sex marriage is contradicting all of these morals that America has stood by for so many years.
Many religious extremist , and others who offer the biased and stubborn opinion that homosexuality is wrong, argue that gay marriage would:

weaken the definition and respect for the institution of marriage, provide a slippery slope in the legality of marriage….(Messerli,1)

Or that, the implications for children in a world of decaying families would be profound (Dr. James Dobson, NPG). These arguments, however, under further scrutiny are flawed. The definition of marriage need not effect any straight people. Homosexuality is a widely respected culture and works just the same as a heterosexual relationship, so it can hardly be compared to polygamy, the love for an object, or other wrong doings that truly would disgrace the name of marriage. Many studies have shown that children living with same sex parents grow up just as children from heterosexual families(B.A. Robinson, 2)

As stated above, not allowing gay marriage is unconstitutional. All Men are created equal, was the same argument that brought down discrimination against many minorities, it can be used again to argue, the right to marry whomever you please. This famous phrase is what makes denying same sex couples the right to marry so wrong.

Denying marriage to a homosexual couple is no different than denying marriage to Hispanic or black
couples. (Messerli,2)

The rights to marriage should be allowed to gay, and straight people alike. “Marriage is more than a legal status. It affects many things in society such as tax filing status, joint ownership of property, insurance benefits, and agency law,”(Messerli,http://www.balancedpolitics.org/same_sex_marriages.htm). As stated in the above quote the benefits of being a married couple are great in the legal sense. To deny one couple these rights because they, simply are not allowed to marry is, yet again, another discrimination.

What about love? In all the talk of rights and what not, people forget the true and simple bases for any marriage, love. People go their whole lives searching for that one person to share their life with, to honor and to cherish till death do they part, and many never find them. For a person to find anyone their willing to call a wife or husband is a blessing in it’s self. Whether someone finds love in the same or opposite sex shouldn’t matter, because everyone deserves the right to love.

The United States was not built to be a country of discrimination. It was meant to protect all men, and minorities, yet today it sadly stains it’s good name by contradicting all that it stands for. Love is love whether it be between a man and women or two people of the same sex, and two people in love deserve the right to get married. Marriage is a right that should be enjoyed by all, and a couples marriage has no real effect on anyone eles. So why are the people of America forcing their beliefs and prejudices on innocent people? If all men are created equally then why aren’t they honored with the same rights?

ArcticWolfie said...
Lust isn't love. Sorry. Marriage was created by religion for a man and a woman. 

thoughtfulsoul replied...
i would like to know where exactly you came across this fact..if it is indeed a fact. also i have a question for you, why don't you think gays should have the right to marry? if their not hurting anybody was does it matter?

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
You demonstrated your point reasonably and with considerable eloquence. I applaud you for that. And I agree wholeheartedly with you.

Thegirlinthemirror replied...
Thank you :)

lizzie625 replied...
i also strongly agree, i believe that love is love and whether they are born that way or come to find themselves, it is not a crime, sin, or wrong doing. i think you should send this to the government.

Thegirlinthemirror replied...
I wish to, unfortunately the change has to come from the people of America, as they are the ones oppressing this right.