A Study In Contrasts | Teen Ink

A Study In Contrasts

July 23, 2010
By lizzymwrites GOLD, Miami, Florida
lizzymwrites GOLD, Miami, Florida
13 articles 0 photos 56 comments

Favorite Quote:
The only people for me are the mad ones... the ones who never yawn and say a commonplace thing but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders against the stars." - Jack Kerouac


Tolerance is the only thing that’s keeping us all from killing one another, but so many few people seem to think it important.
I do. I think it’s vital.
You see, tolerance is my area of expertise. I am a Catholic with an atheist for a mother.In my entire school, there was only one black girl – one of my closest friends – and my mother was prejudiced against her because of her experiences growing up. The only friend of my dad’s I actually admire is gay, and had to move to another city because of it. I detest the idea of divorce, yet my grandparents are no longer married.
If you ask anyone, they’ll tell you that I am objective, but that I’m also great at putting myself in other people’s shoes. I guess it’s necessary, when so much of my life is full of contradictions. My religion tells me that sex before marriage is wrong, but every book, movie or TV show I can get my hands on seems to shriek otherwise.
In the end, I’ve learned to accept everything. Though I wish my mother didn’t consider my beliefs ridiculous and outdated, we share a lot of the same morals, and it’s helped me understand that people can be different and similar at the same time. The differences – like gender, race, religion or sexuality – only make our world better, more diverse, and the similarities will forever bind us together.


The author's comments:
"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." - Nietzche.
Everything I wrote here is true. People, we all need to practice tolerance more often. If we did, things like the Holocaust and the Rwanda Genocide never would've happened in the first place. Someday, we will be the ones to lead America forward.
We are the future. Let's make it a good one.