A Study In Contrasts

Tolerance is the only thing that’s keeping us all from killing one another, but so many few people seem to think it important.
I do. I think it’s vital.
You see, tolerance is my area of expertise. I am a Catholic with an atheist for a mother.In my entire school, there was only one black girl – one of my closest friends – and my mother was prejudiced against her because of her experiences growing up. The only friend of my dad’s I actually admire is gay, and had to move to another city because of it. I detest the idea of divorce, yet my grandparents are no longer married.
If you ask anyone, they’ll tell you that I am objective, but that I’m also great at putting myself in other people’s shoes. I guess it’s necessary, when so much of my life is full of contradictions. My religion tells me that sex before marriage is wrong, but every book, movie or TV show I can get my hands on seems to shriek otherwise.
In the end, I’ve learned to accept everything. Though I wish my mother didn’t consider my beliefs ridiculous and outdated, we share a lot of the same morals, and it’s helped me understand that people can be different and similar at the same time. The differences – like gender, race, religion or sexuality – only make our world better, more diverse, and the similarities will forever bind us together.

amybug said...
I really like this! I actually tracked you down from the other article you wrote about slitting wrists. I think this is a great concept. I really like it. World peace may be impossible, but the little things certainly help! Great Work!

lizzymwrites replied...
Sept. 1, 2010 at 8:32 pm :
Wow, I'm glad you liked it!!! =)

Writer24 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 1, 2010 at 1:26 am:
I really like this article. It's a pretty cool concept. Although, it's not like me at all, 'cause I get very frustrated when people are different from me and often would prefer to relate to them.

lizzymwrites replied...
Sept. 1, 2010 at 2:38 pm :
Thanks! It's normal to want to relate to people, but you can try to focus on thingss like enjoying the same books or movies instead of religion and stuff like that, right?