Two Hearts, Same Sex | Teen Ink

Two Hearts, Same Sex

December 21, 2009
By dirinity SILVER, Clayton, North Carolina
dirinity SILVER, Clayton, North Carolina
9 articles 0 photos 59 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Certain things catch your eye,
But pursue only those
that capture your heart.
"


This is a response to a "One man, One Woman".

Ive seen you have written from a religious stand point and here is my reply.

Religious Law is not National Law.

I am by no means saying you can't have your religion, I wouldnt say that unless yours consisted of , killing others senselessly I don't mean to say that one cannot say this life style is wrong because, while I may disagree with you, that is your opinion.

What I am saying is that our governement and other organizations that are related to the governement (the military being one of them), should not persecute people due to their sexuality. Sexuality(not sexual preference, since that insinuates a choice) is something people cannot change. Ex: Can you change yours if God didnt exist to you? Most likely no, because you probably are not attrracted to those of your own sex.

However there are those people who are attracted to those of their same sex and saying you wont judge, but still allow the persecution to exist is judging them not fit to have the same rights as another non-homo/bisexual person.

On the topic of "Traditionaly gay people have been bullied therefore it is okay"

Tradition doesnt make one thing right and and another wrong. If it did, we'd stilll be having slaves and if we stretch further back in time, my family wouldn't have existed because my family would have never left England for some crudy rock called Plymouth all those years ago. (Sorry Plymouth rock, I do know what you symbolize.)

But as an American, I see that my fellow Americans who are willing to die for me are being treated so horribly. Regardless to how people feel about the whys and hows of being gay, bisexual or transgenedered or transsexual, these are people deserving of respect. Why do we deny that to them? How would you like it if you just got back from war and see all these people gathering around your troop-brothers and sisters, kissing their loved ones and hugging them, while you cant kiss the one person you love more than life itself because you happen to be the same sex? Thats just one example pertinet to the "Dont ask, Don't tell" debate.

People could have decided to continue to hate others based on differences(even though they still do) long ago as a woman, I wouldnt matter, I'd be here as second class citizens; only here to breed and toy with when men got bored. I cant ignore another's plight simply because it isnt my own. That goes against my morals.

Also, I keep hearing the idea of God coming up in a debate about equality. No offense, but God has no difinitive proof of existing. I have nothing wrong with this "God" people speak of except that if He created people, He created gay people too, so He shouldn't hate His own "children".

I hear what people are saying when they say that they cant help end the hatred against gays, bisexuals, leabians, transgendered people, and everybody else called "queer". But I do not understand how one could honestly believe that just because one person may be gay, bi, or whatever else as far as sexuality goes, they are not equal to a heterosexual person.


The author's comments:
well, Im Bi and Ive heard this debate before. I read an article about this I found offensive, so I relpied politely.