A Stereotypical Teenager? | Teen Ink

A Stereotypical Teenager?

December 2, 2009
By Mitch1991 BRONZE, Saint Louis, Missouri
Mitch1991 BRONZE, Saint Louis, Missouri
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

A Stereotypical Teenager?

Loud, obnoxious, rebellious, out of control, and up to no good… these are just a few of a wide number of stereotypes that are attributed to American teenagers. What is it about teenagers that make the rest of society seem to turn against them? I believe that there are many misconceptions about teenagers. Many people in different generations sincerely believe that all teenagers are up to no good, and are guaranteed trouble no matter where they are. I am not arguing that teenagers like that don’t exist, because there are plenty of them out there, but it bothers me that one type of teenager has been able to spoil the image of all other teenagers.

Personally I think that these stereotypes apply more to me because I am a male. In addition to being a male teenager, I also have noticed that people think negatively of me because I wear a longer hair style than what is typically expected in society. Some people grow long hair to show rebellion, or to be unique, but I wouldn’t classify myself into either of those categories, I simply enjoy having it more than short hair. But because of that, many members of society link certain stereotypes of male teenagers to me because I show long hair. I could be considered many different things including: rebellious, troubled, angry, arrogant, or any other sort of stereotype out there. How could anyone possibly claim to know all of these false accusations simply based on my age, and my gender?

At times it can be bothersome when people take certain precautions around teenagers, because they believe that we are all reckless, and dangerous. Parents will cross to the opposite side of the street with their kids, people clear sidewalks when walking, other drivers tense up on the road, and all while this is happening, other people will keep one eye carefully watching, just to make sure that all of the rotten teenagers don’t do anything dangerous. I sometimes think that people see me and other teenagers as giant, shiny explosives that are about to detonate, so everyone else needs to distance themselves as much and as quickly as possible. Just because a teenager happens to be walking around outside, that should in no way trigger a response where people feel that it isn’t safe to be near teenagers. Although it does bother me, I can also see a point of view where I would do the same thing. If I saw someone outside that looked a little bit off-beat to me, I would most likely go a different path as well. However, that raises the question, why does society take in all of these stereotypes and live all of their lives believing false statements?

All of it is ridiculous I believe. Anyone that knows me will be able to explain that I am the exact opposite of a stereotypical teenager, so no one should need to take precautions if they see me out somewhere. A stereotypical teenager would most likely be thought of being connected to alcohol, tobacco, and drugs in some way, shape, or form; I on the other hand do not do any of those things, and am strongly against them. Because I do not consider myself anywhere close to a stereotypical teenager, it does bother me when people mistake me for doing those types of activities. All of these common stereotypes don’t do any good for the people who actually work hard, and try to do something with their lives.
For many people, stereotyping does more than just become a bothersome hassle. For a handful of teenagers, the effect of stereotyping makes them feel pressured into behaving like a stereotypical teenager. For example, some people do drugs and alcohol because they are expected to by society’s stereotypes, so someone may think, “Oh, I am a teenager now, I guess because other people are drinking then I have to as well.” I don’t even see peer pressure as that much of an issue here, people tend to start drinking or doing drugs voluntarily; more often than not, there isn’t peer pressure that is forcing them into doing something. And that creates an entire roundabout of madness. To simplify this; many people start acting like stereotypical teenagers, because they feel that they need to in order to be a “normal” teenager. But that in turn makes society cast out teenagers, when it is actually those same members of society who created these stereotypes for teenagers to follow. In reality, there are several statistics that illustrate a decline in teenage drug abuse, alcoholism, and teenage pregnancy, yet stereotypes still exist (Poole).

Are all teenagers loud, obnoxious, rebellious, out of control, and up to no good? Obviously not, there is no way that every single teenager in the world could fit that description. And yet, society still labels every teenager in the world by a description very similar to that. The few teenagers that live a life similar to that have managed to destroy the image of every teenager that happens to be a good kid. It seems that hardworking, determined, and honest teenagers don’t have a place in the world anymore. They are out there, and ready to be noticed, but the rest of society has chosen to view them in the same manner as the bad crowds that exist in the teenage population. Quite strange, that the model teenager that is acceptable in society is not taken seriously. Why does society view superior teenagers that way? It is not only teenagers; it is everybody in the world. No person will ever be right in prejudicing someone, no matter who they are.


Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 35 comments.


Summerstone said...
on May. 15 2015 at 4:16 pm
@JoshuaChen Very well. However, being a non-teenager, as I am assuming you are, (for you choose to ignore the content of the article and instead critique the (truly well written) writing, and refuse to acknowledge the message put out within this article) your statement is also cynical and poorly written. Not everyone has the capability to write perfect, publishable articles. If anything, you should be commending this author for trying.

SFang said...
on Apr. 4 2015 at 6:03 pm
Don't you think your comment was quite rude?

on Mar. 17 2015 at 2:45 pm
RenHoggard BRONZE, Paragould, Arkansas
3 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
"There's always something." ~Violet Baudelaire

@Mitch1991, i feel the same way. My parents are always saying "no rush to grow up" when it comes to other teens having sex, doing drugs, et cetera, but when i act "immature" its just like "OH GROW UP". What...does ... society... want?!?!?!?!?

on Jan. 22 2015 at 8:48 pm
SophieFloph PLATINUM, Seattle, Washington
21 articles 3 photos 37 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Her stomach did a revengeful flop."

I will say something and my mom will shake my head and say, "Teenagers are weird". Annoying, but sort of off topic. Anyway. YOUR ARTICLE WAS AMAZING!

on Oct. 13 2014 at 3:08 pm
yasmin Elsouda BRONZE, Riyadh, Other
2 articles 0 photos 8 comments
Your analysis of this whole 'stereotypical teenager' issue is so accurate! Unfortunately i think the problem is much biger than stereo-typing teenagers, society will always find a flaw in the system and that in the teenage case is: impulse behaviour, hence the stereotype but really all individuals in our impossible to please sociaty suffer of some sort of false judgment or a stereotype and in an ideal world i would suggest that people should be less judgemental but who am i kidding, even i do it sometimes :/ -awesome writing though

Highlander03 said...
on Aug. 12 2014 at 1:49 am
I couldn't agree more. 

Huuge Dicck said...
on Aug. 5 2013 at 7:46 pm
This article made me feel soo goooooooood! I'm now going to commit suicide thankyou (:

JoshuaChen said...
on Nov. 3 2012 at 8:40 pm
JoshuaChen, Westborough, Massachusetts
0 articles 0 photos 20 comments

Favorite Quote:
"All this philosophy Confucius me"

Your essay is naive and reinforces several stereotypes that you failed to mention, i.e. teenagers are cynics and incapable of making well-written defenses of their opinions.

on Nov. 3 2012 at 8:28 pm
TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas
72 articles 0 photos 860 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby." - Unknown

That's a great opinion piece. I completely agree with that. You are a fantastic writer! Keep writing, and good luck on your future writing endeavors.]    

skybean BRONZE said...
on Oct. 12 2012 at 1:59 pm
skybean BRONZE, Elmont, New York
2 articles 16 photos 36 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”~GK Chesterton

I totally agree.

on Aug. 29 2012 at 12:06 pm
Wow that is very true. Many people put every teen into a steriotype that mostly is incorrect. Believe it or not, but most teens become angry and rebellious because they are put into that steriotype. If kids at school kept spreading rumors that this boy was emo because always wore a black hoodie, that boy would turn emo at some point because everyone in a way was putting peer pressure on him. (with something not even true too)

. said...
on Aug. 7 2012 at 10:26 pm
Completely true. I find that even my parents seem to judge me for who society makes me out to be, but not my actualy self. When it gets to the point where even family members will call you a 'wh.ore' or a 'bi.tch' you know the world has gotten to the point of no return. Thank you for writing this. Sometimes I feel like im the only one who is angered by this treatment. (Obviously not) and great writing as well :)

on Jul. 16 2012 at 9:06 pm
Mantequilla SILVER, Eagan, Minnesota
8 articles 0 photos 79 comments
It's true. I... I just can't say more. Like, all of the expectations of teenagers fell through all of the floor and so most of us end up clueless in an adult world with misconceptions of what equals happiness (money, sex, status, power). I just think it's gross. I don't necessarily want, I don't know, more jobs, just more trust. When parents think responsibility, i feel like the first reaction is CHORES! And, I suppose that is true. But i think we just want some way to use our talents and just show that we're just as good as adults; that we're ready. Anybody agree?

on Jul. 16 2012 at 3:58 am
HeatherOlivia GOLD, Solothurn, Other
16 articles 0 photos 86 comments

Favorite Quote:
"All things truly wicked start from innocence." - Ernest Hemingway

This article is amazing and something that I think all of us on Teenink can relate to. When you wrote this think that people see me and other teenagers as giant, shiny explosives that are about to detonate, so everyone else needs to distance themselves as much and as quickly as possible. I was think here is someone who knows exactly how it feels. This is one of the best articles I've seen in a long time, pratically because it really relates to us as teens. Plus, I know that sometimes I might be stereotypical as well and I want to avoid that. This article was just astonishing.

on May. 11 2012 at 11:49 am
BekkaGoodwin BRONZE, Haddonfield, New Jersey
2 articles 0 photos 41 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves from others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves." -Francois de La Rochefoucauld

I'm speechless; this is seriously one of the best essays that I've ever read. Although I must admit that I find myself sometimes stereotyping people, not just teenagers, but people in general. I try not to but sometimes I fail. I'm not perfect, you know. Anyway, I really enjoyed this essay and I think it is really well-written and I completely agree with you. It's not fair to others' to sterotype them into the typical 'this' or the typical 'that'. I will try my best from this point on not to stereotype people. Thanks for writing this!!