"That's So BULLYING!"

Look around you. Try and count the number of people out there that are kissing, hugging, or using some other form of PDA to show some form of affection towards someone else. Kind of a high number, right? Now, fish out the people that are kissing someone of the same gender. That’s a lower number, isn’t it? Why do you think that is? Maybe it’s because of slang comments like “That’s so gay!” that are being used as slang on a day to day basis.

The average number of teens in America that say “that’s so gay” is higher than most any other saying. That’s pretty crazy considering us teens say A LOT of stuff! But let me ask you this: what if somebody came up to you and said, “Oh my gosh, that’s so negro” or “That’s so Hispanic.” What about, “Oh my gosh, your hair is so a Twilight lover” or “That is so some guy who wears his shirt tucked in!” How would you feel if someone came around and said something about your race, religion, or interests in an insulting way? Personally, I don’t see how saying “That’s so gay” is different than saying any of the above comments. Nobody goes around saying “That’s so (insert religion, race, or interest)!” At least I hope not!

So the bottom line of this article, if you felt like reading it, was that saying “That’s so gay!” is a horrible, offensive comment that we should stop saying. Anything you can do to prevent your friends and family members from saying “That’s so gay!” Seriously, it’s wrong.

alice_swim_n_skate This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 12, 2013 at 7:35 pm:
I appreciate the healthy discussion guys! Thank you!

AliMotamedi said...
Jun. 7, 2013 at 10:43 am:
its good to see someone and finally talk about this, i'm not gay either but i think everyone deserves to live their life just as they please to do so, as long as it does not bother others!

Aspiringauhor said...
Dec. 4, 2011 at 10:20 am:
Agreed. Completely. I get yelled at by my peers all the time for being uptight when that is yelled across the room, but I always tell them that it's inappropriate and just plain immature. And yet I'm still in the wrong for pointing it out, somehow. Sigh.

Spike9110 said...
Sept. 29, 2011 at 10:36 am:
i'm straight but people says things about my race. so you made a good point

Thoreau420 said...
Jul. 3, 2011 at 6:54 pm:
A good point, though I think the meaning of the phrase has really changed. Like when people say "Fag" or "That's So Gay" these days, they aren't really directing it as an insult towards Gays. The phrases have sort of morphed into their own kind of insults. Just like the definitions of "Gay" and "Fag" have changed overtime. I don't think the phrase will die out any time soon, but the definition will.

jbutterfly10 said...
Jun. 24, 2010 at 6:17 pm:
I agree, and neither am I:) I mean, it's like, "That's so blonde!!!!!!!!"

IcePrincess This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 28, 2010 at 5:38 pm :
I hate that comment too, especially since I'm a natural blonde.

Deipnosophist said...
Jun. 6, 2010 at 6:29 pm:
I believe that if some one is truly offended by an insult is due to that person being insecure. I absolutely agree with this, however people will always have a way of making something seem wrong, bad, or different. And besides meanings change, someday this comment could be a compliment.

bookgirl79 replied...
Dec. 28, 2010 at 9:55 am :
Deipnosophist, U R SOOO DUMB!!!!THAT IS NOT TRUE!WOULD U BE OFFENDED IF SOMEONE SAID SOMETHING MEAN 2 U? YES!PEOPLE HAVE OPINIONS & ARE OFFENDED BY DIFFERENT THINGS!

Deipnosophist replied...
Dec. 28, 2010 at 11:26 am :
I am not offended, but your insult, thusly your counter argument has no merit. :p

Cheesecake said...
Jun. 6, 2010 at 6:13 pm:
100% agree love, A

Aug. 26, 2010 at 11:13 am :
"Love, A?"  That's kind of creepy... are you stalking me on the phone with criptic messages about my friends and secrets?  ;) Love ya, Cheesecake

alsothelonelyone said...
May 28, 2010 at 10:56 pm:
People at my school do say things like 'That's so Asian!', because Asian is considered to mean smart, geeky, etc. It's always those who are Asians or their friends (like me) who say it, but it is kinda offensive and makes people feel unworthy or unnoticed (when the only non-Asian in the group), since it happens quite alot.

alsothelonelyone replied...
May 28, 2010 at 10:58 pm :
Sorry, I didn't mean that I was someone who said it, but that I am those people's friend. I also forgot- great article :D

questionauthority said...
Mar. 28, 2010 at 6:46 pm:
I totally agree! I sense that this is something you feel strongly about, and I encourage you to expand your article and views, because they're really good!

SeaStorm This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 26, 2010 at 9:39 am:
I found it incredibly hypocritical how everyone here, after stating their opinions, said "I'm not gay". Who cares if you are? Not anyone who's reading this, that's for sure.

Savor~the~Moment This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 20, 2010 at 12:09 pm:
Thanks everyone! Kelz1141, I understand your point and I probably didn't phrase that correctly in the article, but I think people get the message. Thanks for pointing that out thought

kateyt23 said...
Mar. 20, 2010 at 11:13 am:
I do use that phrase, but I never thought of it that way! You put your point across very well!

APoetAtHeart said...
Totally agree. Thanks for writing

Kelz1141 said...
Personnaly I'm all for gay rights. I try and not say anything like thats so gay because it could hurt someones feelings but I just don't feel offended thinking of somone running up to me and saying Thats so *insert something about me here* I even came up with examples and it just doesn't offend me. I just see it as another word for stupid. I still don't like to say it because I don't want to hurt anyones feelings.