Respect for the Disabled

It’s just another average day and you’re taking your routine walk to school. The birds are chirping, the sun is shining, and everything seems to be going well. You look to your right to see a disabled child struggling to get off the sidewalk in his wheelchair. You do what most people do and just turn your head like you don’t even notice him. Deep in your heart you know its wrong, but you want to play it cool. If one day, everyone would care less of what other people thought about them, and they take that extra minute out of their long day to help that disabled boy off the sidewalk, then this world would be that much better of a place to live in. Just flash a smile at a stranger or help a blind man cross the crosswalk. These are the little things in life that will make you a better person. Not only are you making yourself a better person, you could have just made someone’s day. I know that if we all could just spare that small minute out of our day, then we’d all be living in a better world. As stated is the dictionary, the definition of respect means to hold in esteem or honor. Acting upon these small opportunities would make people with disabilities feel respected. As so, we should respect them. People moan and groan about how terrible their lives are, but they aren’t the ones in a wheelchair and surviving off machines. The disabled hold on to everything they’ve got and get through life, even with their hindrances. Those are the ones that should truly be respected. However, a world filled with respect, kindness, and helpfulness is just an imaginary place. That is why you have to act now to make the world we live in a more enjoyable place. Respect the ones in need and you will get respect in return. Act upon all these little opportunities when possible.

alannareynolds said...
Jan. 31 at 2:32 pm:
I love this article.  People  need to realize that they they can't take things for granted.  They need to realize how lucky they really are. People who are disabled should be treated  with respect.

maS14 said...

Hey that is so... true! Usually if people just see kids struggling they turn the other way... I know what that's like... For I am disabled and even have a disease in my wrist... Thank you so much

oddballinthegroup said...
wow this one is amazing my mom has Cerebral Palsy and so do two of my best friends and i am active with the special needs students at my school

Cajunsnow said...
I love this article. this just made ma dae. this article is very true. I love that theres a person in the world who thinks like this. Tell the people the truth insted of feeding them false information, because it would come back and bite you in the long run. who ever wrote this did a tramendous job.

xBrando replied...
Nov. 5, 2009 at 5:14 pm :
Thanks so much :)