Top Voted Current Events / Politics Articles

Here are the top voted current events / politics articles:

voted
#1
Barack Obama for President This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Every time an election rolls around, people want to know what each candidate’s stance is on the issues that are important to them. Now that I can vote, I am much more interested in the ­political race. In deciding which candidate I want to vote... (more »)
70 comments
voted
#2
Orwell Is Fashionably Late This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
“If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face – forever.” – from 1984 by George Orwell “Big Brother is watching you.” And he’s not the only one. In today’s society, we’ve acclimated to... (more »)
15 comments
voted
#3
John McCain for President This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Republican candidate John McCain has experience in our nation’s government. His views on border security and the environment make him well suited for the nation’s soon-to-be vacant spot in the White House. McCain shows great leadership and... (more »)
138 comments
voted
#4
Letter to George Bush This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Dear Mr. Bush, Much is being made of the inauguration of President Obama. But amidst all the celebration, I couldn’t help but think about how you must be feeling leaving office and transferring your position to another. You served as... (more »)
273 comments
voted
#5
Still Not Colorblind This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
I often heard about the presidential election on the news. You probably did too, if you expose yourself at all to the sickly sun of the American media. Journalists, reporters, and every other member of the information army practically wet... (more »)
208 comments
voted
#6
A Curved Construction This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Patriarchy, Monarchy, Matriarchy, Oligarchy … So many arches yet not one can uphold its burdens. (more »)
4 comments
voted
#7
Overserved and Undecided This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
There is not much in this world that will get me up at five in the morning. A tsunami perhaps, or a pile of hundred dollar bills garnished with a Ferrari and a supermodel. There is even less that will get me up that early twice in three days. In... (more »)
6 comments
voted
#8
What Obama Means to Me This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Two years ago, Obama meant nothing to me. His name did not ring any bells of hope or change or bring huge traffic to my hometown. However, just a year later, he became the Democratic nominee for president and his name rang the bells of history.... (more »)
104 comments
voted
#9
Inauguration Poem This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Frozen in time We wait For change to sweep us Off our feet And reverse The spell We wait For time to tie The mane of the Wild stallion Which is loosely In our grasp Frozen in time We wait As the ripple Of change develops In... (more »)
19 comments
voted
#10
Presidential Rock Star? This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
On Monday we celebrated the birthday of a man who gave his life for civil rights, and on Tuesday we inaugurated our first black ­president. It was fitting. A little PR-happy, perhaps, a little campy, but if one could overlook the fact that... (more »)
23 comments
voted
#11
A Dream Regained This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
I was brought up believing I could be anything I wanted to be. So in early November, when my mom said that she couldn’t believe that we’d have a black president, I was taken aback. She said her family and teachers told her the same thing that... (more »)
15 comments
voted
#12
The Obama Intern This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
I didn’t plan on the woman in the coffee shop changing my life. I just wanted a bumper sticker. She had a six-inch stack with “Obama for President” in large blue letters. But Amy was not just ­selling paraphernalia. She was the new area... (more »)
15 comments
voted
#13
January 20 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
So, it’s inauguration day. After all the concerts and the speeches, there’s nothing more standing in the way: our new president is Barack Obama. Yesterday I headed down to the National Mall in D.C. I wanted to feel the energy in... (more »)
21 comments
voted
#14
Modern Patriotism This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
What makes a patriot? People through the ages have carried out both horrible and wonderful acts under the banner of patriotism. How then are we to define it? The concept of patriotism is just as debated and relevant today as it was during the... (more »)
21 comments
voted
#15
Ending the War on Terrorism This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.
Since 9/11, fighting terrorism has become a top priority in our nation. Each year, the U.S. spends billions of dollars on the war in Iraq, attempting to dismantle the extremist groups that threaten us. However, we have had troops in Iraq for eight... (more »)
85 comments
voted
#16
Modern Slavery This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
In 1927, the Slavery Convention outlawed the ­institution of involuntary labor in order “to bring about, progressively and as soon as possible, the complete abolition of slavery in all its forms.” ­However, in a report by the United Nations... (more »)
2 comments