How Many Of You Hate America? | Teen Ink

How Many Of You Hate America?

By Eilina Sealtman SILVER, London, Other
Eilina Sealtman SILVER, London, Other

The common view of things is often different from the reality. They can be twisted, beautiful images that shield us from the truth. Sometimes people should think of it not as a shield, but as a blindfold. Because a world superpower is taking steps too far. By consuming more fossil fuels than is necessary, by standing still and making no military progression when it was needed, and by waging war on a country and attacking soldier and civilians over a mere dispute for oil. This “great” country, is America.

Many people look to America and sigh with envy at “the American Dream” . However, that dream cannot last long, while America is guzzling up precious resources left on a rapidly crowding planet. These figures speak for themselves about the evident greed of America:

Coal > Production
531,822,000 ton

Coal consumption
1,060,000,000

Commercial energy use
8,148.38

Electric power consumption > kWh
3,920,613,000,000 kWh

Electricity > Consumption
3,892,000,000,000 kWh

Gasoline prices
0.77

Geothermal power use
5,640

Natural gas > Consumption
652,900,000,000 cu m

Natural Gasoline > Production
12,275,000 ton

Nuclear electricity generation
780.1 terawatt-hours

Nuclear energy consumption
821.1 terawatt-hours

Nuclear reactors operable
104

Oil > Consumption
20,680,000 bbl/day

Oil > Exports
1,165,000 bbl/day

Oil > Production
8,457,000 bbl/day

Oil imports > Net
10,400,000 barrels per day

Oil reserves
22,450,000,000 barrels

Usage per person
8.35 TOE per person

Wall plugs > Voltage
110 V

Wind energy installation
6,740 MW

These crimes are forgivable, as other nations are guilty of many similar crimes, such as Brazilians chopping down the Amazon. But global warming is not the most important aspect that we can hold against America. America has extorted countries beyond the point of recovery. Equador, for example, was reduced to a poor scrabbling wreck once America dealt out loans to them. Now Equador only has 5% of its national budget to spend on public services, whilst the rest of the money goes into paying off foreign aid, almost all of which goes to America. Is this right? Is it fair that Americans can bully nations? Furthermore. America threatens, assasinates, and then goes to war with the presidents of countries who refused to run their countries as they like. The war with Iraq is a simple example. America wanted oil. Iran refused to give for no good reason. Why should we just let them do this to us? Us as a world?
Oh yes, because they have guns!

The U.S.A government is a trigger-happy collection of murderous power figures, They do so much to the world, and yet they have nuclear arms and their military to point at other nations, and say “give me your money!” They succeeded for so long due to pure fear, but now other countries have the chance to strike back. America doesn't have all the power anymore. A single grain of rice can tip a scale. Somehow, America has set in a system which everybody likes. A system where people don't think. Where they impulsively buy items that will break very soon. In America, only 10% of items bought for a house are kept for more than a month, and only 5% of those remain for 6 months. America designs products to be made so they break as soon as possible, but will still leave the client with faith in the product, enough so to buy themselves more.

But who benefits from this system?

The aristocrats do. Right up in their trees, lording over us. There are bankers who awarded themselves millions of dollars in bonuses whilst creating a recession that would cripple thousands of struggling individuals around the world. This doesn't cause stress for people living on government benefits, but for the people who are just above the poverty line. America makes those people struggle and work every day. It does so by enforcing a system where the elite (namely money-posessing) people take hold. Can nothing be done to create a fair and happy world?

Well, there is something you can do. You can be fair. You can be smart, and you can think before reaching for your credit card while watching an auction channel. You can PAUSE and WAIT before buying that “wonderful new shave”. We have to know our limitations, and stretch them. Whoever is reading this, YOU are the workforce. You are the people economically enslaved. There is hope. You can work together towards goals such as Project Venus, Save The Forests, Oil Conservation, and Fairtrade. These small lifestyle changes will help you sleep at night. How can we sleep after reading this, knowing that we are only here through the turmoil and suffering of potentially hundreds of other men, women and children.

When a child reaches to the future, who will have the heart to say, “we've used it up, son.”

Many of you will be enraged by this article. I mean no offence to any human being, merely a minority's actions. And if you can condemn a terrorist group, can you condemn a group of terrorist that don't use guns and use the American people to shield themselves?

zoeyu BRONZE said...
on Jun. 9 at 10:52 pm
zoeyu BRONZE, Conroe, Texas
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

"Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder." -Rumi

Although America is not perfect - no country is - we should all be grateful for the opportunities and privileges this country has given us. Take this article, for example. In a different country, you may have not been able to publish this and voice your opinion. Although it is important to recognize the faults of this country, it is equally important to strive towards initiating positive change.

on Jun. 7 at 9:52 am
Robert214 SILVER, Guangzhou, Other
Very good points! America should no longer lead the world in many aspects...

on May. 11 at 4:34 pm
22rbhattacharyya GOLD, State College, Pennsylvania

Among my most prized possessions are words that I have never spoken -Orson Scott Card

If you hate America so much, why don't you go to Venezuela, a beautiful socialist welfare state?
Oh yeah, cause then if you complain about Venezuela you go to jail.

on Feb. 5 at 1:54 pm
delaneyjanz BRONZE, Fort Smith, Arkansas
As most people are saying, yeah America is not perfect...nowhere is. This writing focuses solely on the bad things in America, even dramatisizing. While I do not agree with many things happening within the US, you cannot focus only on the negative. This is an unfair bias towards this nation.

on Oct. 5 2018 at 8:23 pm
WK9232015 SILVER, Amherst, Massachusetts

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." -Mahatma Gandhi

I agree that America isn't perfect, but what country is? I do agree that we should look at the hard truth though, even if it isn't pretty.

on Feb. 26 2018 at 2:23 am
JacobLindland SILVER, Dulles, Virginia
Interesting, you do have a point...

Trump will crush america like his own dreams.\

on Nov. 29 2017 at 10:07 am

I am a proud American and you just wrecked yourself even if you do not support our country you can shut up and stop spewing hatred like you guys think rednecks do about racism You might not like our country but it is your duty to defend the flag, the COnstitution and our military

Locke9 BRONZE said...
on Sep. 17 2017 at 11:34 am
Locke9 BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
I think your forgetting the fact that the world isn't fair. America is grounded on the belief that all people should be TREATED equally. But, in the end people aren't all identical, which means that people will never have the exact same amount of money or job security. It just can't happen, but Americans do the best we can to get close.

Locke9 BRONZE said...
on Sep. 17 2017 at 11:29 am
Locke9 BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
You perfectly articulated how I feel about the issue, it is good to know that there are people who can see things as they are.

on May. 25 2017 at 12:14 pm
JacobBaker GOLD, Sacramento, California

If your good at something,never do it for free --- The Joker

check you're self before you wreck you're self dude

on May. 25 2017 at 12:07 pm
JacobBaker GOLD, Sacramento, California

amen to that

on May. 19 2017 at 3:00 pm
Your_Apathetic_Basketcase ELITE, Orlando, Florida

"Just remember, if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off."
-Derrolyn Anderson

"Don't trust everything you see, even salt looks like sugar."

"The sea speaks more honestly... To those willing to drown." -J.D. Hard

And what does the world get in return? Food, medicine, protection, financial support. Where would the UK be without us? Oh yeah, that's right speaking German. Do you recall World War II? Think before you write, the United States gives more to the world than any other country ever has. Anytime there is any type of disaster, who is the first country to step up and send aid, even to those who hate us. That's right. The United States of America.

Spambi SILVER said...
on Mar. 14 2017 at 11:58 am
Spambi SILVER, Alsea, Oregon

Never change for someone else, change for yourself.

Trump will crush america like his own dreams..

on Jan. 19 2017 at 1:05 pm
FutbolWriter14 BRONZE, Owingsville, Kentucky
Yes yes yes!!

on Jan. 19 2017 at 1:04 pm
@Chankzu Amen! I grew up in a country in Africa and now realize how amazing America is, everyone should thank their lucky stars instead of complaining.

on Jan. 19 2017 at 12:58 pm
I gotta agree

Sparaxis GOLD said...
on Nov. 16 2016 at 8:36 am
Sparaxis GOLD, Saint Marys, Georgia

"If you keep on picking on me, I'll mess up again. This time, on PURPOSE."

The worst part is how Americans use age-old issues to distract themselves from real issues. Like instead of worrying about the now messed-up environment, they bring racism back. That should have ended decades ago.

DankMime said...
on Nov. 9 2016 at 10:39 am
DankMime,
yo its ya boi skinny p3n1s

DankMime said...
on Nov. 9 2016 at 10:39 am
DankMime,
yo its ya boi skinny t3sticle

Smith Summer

Parkland Speaks

Campus Compare