NFL Anthem Protests | Teen Ink

NFL Anthem Protests

By MTP4. BRONZE, Oakland, New Jersey
MTP4. BRONZE, Oakland, New Jersey

NFL Anthem Protests

Week 3 of the NFL season brought major controversy to the whole nation. Players, owners, and coaches have been kneeling for the National Anthem and some entire teams did not even come out of the locker room for the National Anthem. These actions are allegedly against President Donald Trump for his actions speaking out against the NFL owners and players. The President said that NFL owners need to take a stand against players disrespecting the flag and they were dogs to do to such a thing. The players were kneeling originally from a movement Colin Kaepernick started about innocent lives being taken by the police. Outside of football, the NBA Champions, the Golden State Warriors elected not to visit the White House, as well as the NCAA Men’s basketball champions the North Carolina Tar Heels. Also, three time NBA Champion, LeBron James, tweeted that, “It used to be an honor to visit the White House until you took office”. On Sunday September 24th, almost every team silently revolted toward Trump. Players such as Odell Beckham Jr of the New York Giants, Brandon Coleman of the New Orleans Saints, and Rishard Matthews of the Tennessee Titans celebrated scoring touchdown by putting their fists up and looking straight into the sky. The Dallas Cowboys took a knee altogether right in front of a flag covering the whole field. Teams such as the Tennessee Titans, Seattle Seahawks,and Pittsburgh Steelers stayed in the locker room during the Anthem. Running back from the Buffalo Bills Lesean McCoy did his stretch routine during the Anthem. Several other teams just stood with their arms linked together. Players, coaches, executives, and owners showing that they were in it together. There were also some players who stood with their hands over their hearts by themselves. Offensive lineman of the Pittsburgh Steelers Alejandro Villanueva stood just outside of the tunnel by himself with his hand over his heart singing along. Villanueva was an Army veteran and the only Steeler that was out of the locker room for the anthem. In week four of the NFL season, on Thursday night football, both the Chicago Bears and Green Bay Packers linked arms during the national anthem and they asked all of the fans at Lambeau Field in Green Bay to join them in the stands during the anthem. On sunday players kneeled again, but this week some players who kneeled put their hand over their heart showing that they were still glad to be a part of this beautiful country. The real reason they were kneeling was because they were silently rebelling against President Donald Trump. The Steelers, who did not come out of the locker room for the anthem week 3, came out to support Alejandro Villanueva on week 4. Most teams either joined in locked arms or took a knee on Sunday in week 4. Lots of fans are very upset about the players kneeling because of a recent mass shooting in Las Vegas and they thought their favorite teams players should be standing to show their respect to those who are injured, lost their lives, or saved a life. The NFL is firing back at Donald Trump’s words about the NFL’s players who kneeled during the national anthem.

Every Friday in English class we write a new topic to revise and submit at the end of each marking period