Gun Control and Policies | Teen Ink

Gun Control and Policies

By DerickR SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
DerickR SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

One of the most controversial topics in America is the 2nd amendment. Most of it is
about gun control and its policies and if it should be more strict or more loose. The main
policies I’m going to talk about is conceal carry, who can own one, what the firearms are
limited to, background checks, and also gun safety. In my opinion I believe some should
be more loose, and let me tell you why.

For what kind of weapons are limited, Poland makes every man serve in the
army that is eligible and when discharged gets to keep their service weapon and has a
firearm death rate of .26 per 100,000 people meanwhile the U.S. has 10.54 per 100,000
people and both of those are off wikipedia and certified, both are as of 2014. What this
proves is that if you have all the citizens that have served in the military keep their
service weapon and they have the training to use them that this alone will help the crime
rate I believe dramatically. 

The right to conceal carry which is the right to be able to carry a small arms on
your person for self defense, I believe that everyone should have to take a class for it
along with gun safety but it’s your choice if you choose to use it or not, because if you’re
a criminal and you’re going to shoot up a place wouldn’t you think twice about it if you
know that almost everyone in that room has a gun and you will be putting them in
danger and you’re gonna be the person they aim for, that is a scenario that I often use
to picture something in someone’s head. Over 12.8 million people have a conceal carry
and I know that most of my family does also and when my uncle was about 23 (He had
his conceal for about 2 years), someone in the cities tried to mug him walking down the
street at knife point and he wouldn’t be here today if it wasn’t for that carry to save his
life. Basically my point is, is that you won’t think you need one until it’s too late and that
it is actually helpful.

Background checks I agree 100% on but I think that they don’t need to be any
more strict because most of the guns used in crimes are unregistered guns and did not
go through a background check. For those who don’t know a background check is
exactly what the name is, a background check just to make sure you’re not a terrorist
trying to get a gun and I completely agree with it.

For who can own one, think of this and if no one could. If guns are banned are
criminals gonna walk to the nearest cop shop and turn them in and never try to get them
again? No they're not and the public will have to rely on the police to handle a burglary
or a shoot out, or even just your normal mugging. Now I don’t know about you but the
average response time is 10 min as of self-defense-mind-body-spirit and that’s not
including the people who live in the middle of timbuck to. If it is even more limited just
because someone has a bad background if its over 5+ years I believe as long as it’s just
a petty crime you should be able to own one now you might be thinking a criminal is
always a criminal right? Not always people can change.

The main policies of gun control are what they are limited to, conceal carry, gun
safety, background checks, and who can own one. I agree on most policies should be a
bit more loose minus background checks and now you know my views and one of the
most controversial topics in America, the 2nd amendment.