Breed Specific Legislation | Teen Ink

Breed Specific Legislation

March 16, 2016
By Anonymous

A controversial topic that is very dear to my heart is that of breed specific legislations. Some cities, such as the beautiful Miami, have decided to pass a law that prohibits the ownership of a specific breed of dog that is deemed a danger to society, this dog happens to be the Pit Bull Terrier. Now, if when you say Breed Specific Legislation you mean banning all citizens from owning an animal that is an unpredictable killing machine, then I agree, this is a fair and just law, protecting the citizens, especially children from an animal that can easily kill, I as a human being, would most definably agree with this ban. The proof is all there in the media, constant stories of Pit Bull Terriers mauling or killing defenseless people and children who had no way of knowing this animal would just snap. Many articles even claim that this dog breed is built like no other, with locking jaws that once closed, will never open. If this is what you are referring to then yes I am completely in favor of banning this monster.


lets say all this proof isn't really proof at all, but instead a stereotypical image of a dog that is like all other dogs in every way. If when you say this you have definite proof, not faux science theories of "dogs with locking jaws" made by those who fear what they don't understand, then now I'm fifty percent opposed to Breed Specific Legislations. Now you give me more information about how dogs are a product of the environment that they are raised in, not inherently dangerous. Banning a breed is just of a form of laziness from the city that bans these dogs, you point out that Miami-Dade is the only area in Florida that has this law. More information is revealed now about how the media reveals only most interesting stories, and usually those stories don't involve the beagle that "Snapped"(although very rarely do animals not give us a warning) and bit its 5 year old owner, but instead these stories are about the vicious Pit Bull that "mauled" a child, be honest, which would you rather tune into. oh and you give one last piece of information, that before Pit Bulls were banned, the same law was applied to German Shepherds and then Rottweilers. Now i'm one hundred percent against Breed Specific Legislation,this is my stance from first, an objective, and then, a subjective view.You ask me, when will we stop this discrimination of dogs that leads to about 700,000 of them euthanized in shelters each year? ill tell you that I have no idea, but my hope is that it will never be too soon.
     


The author's comments:

In Miami-Dade it is illegal to own any dog related to or even resembling a "Pit bull". This piece brings to light my personal opinion on the matter which is very close to my heart. I hope this encourages you to do more research on the injustices that may be happening in your city and go beyond the influence of others.