Stuck In America | Teen Ink

Stuck In America

January 27, 2016
By Natalialicia BRONZE, Austin, Texas
Natalialicia BRONZE, Austin, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I contain fifty percent of a european gene and fifty percent of a native-mexican gene. In consideration, my parents are mexican immigrants. Although, was born in the United States. I personally call myself hispanic or latina. I believe that ‘anchor babies’ should have the fourteenth amendment protected because, it was written in the United States Constitution.


I was reading in Fox News about Donald Trump “What happens if they're in Mexico, they’re going to have a baby, they move over here for a couple of days, then they have the baby”. I really don't think that’s what happens.Well not everybody that comes to the United States have the same reasons to come. Some people have children here because the parents are worried about what will happen if the children stay in their home country(mother country).In example, I was reading in Huffington Post , Mexico had forty-three students kidnapped and they were all handed to the four gang members that killed them repeatedly and incinerated their bones and dumped their bones into the trash.


Also, it was reading more in CBS News and it said the following “Also,in 2013 Representative Steve King, Representative of Iowa, tried to introduce legislation ending birthright citizenship, saying in the statement,“The current practice of extending U.S. citizenship to hundreds of thousands of ‘anchor babies’ must end because it creates a magnet for illegal immigration into our country.” This is my point that people  don’t understand what immigrants go through.

In Conclusion, I believe that ‘anchor babies’ should not be called ‘anchor babies’ because, it if not all true what Donald Trump said about what immigrants do here in The United States. There are other reasons that immigrants move here like I explained above. I have been fighting for the topic and now I hope it comes true or someone hears me out.