Global Warming | Teen Ink

Global Warming

By BookNerd464 PLATINUM, Neenah, Wisconsin
BookNerd464 PLATINUM, Neenah, Wisconsin

I am good, but not an angel
I do sin, but I am not the devil
I am pretty, but not beautiful
I do have friends, but I am not the peacemaker

Have you noticed that the world is getting warmer?  Probably not, but it is, scientists have found that the earth's temperature has raised 1.5°F in the last 50 years. Human activity is primarily responsible for Global Warming.  This is true because: overwhelming scientific agreement says human activity is primarily responsible for global climate change, average temperatures on earth have increased at a rate far faster than can be explained by natural climate changes, and human-caused global warming is changing weather systems and making heat waves and droughts more intense and more frequent.

One reason is overwhelming scientific agreement says human activity is primarily responsible for global climate change.  According to a study conducted in 2010 by Anderegg, 97-98% of climate researchers and others in their field agree that human activity is primarily responsible for global climate change, and in a separate study another 84% of earth, space, atmospheric, oceanic, and hydrological scientists also agree that human activity is primarily responsible for global climate change.

Another reason is average temperatures on earth have increased at a rate far faster than can be explained by natural climate changes.  In a 2012 study conducted by Berkeley scientists found that the average temperatures of earth’s land increased by 2.5°F in 250; in the years of 1750-2000, and 1.5°F of the 2.5°F in the last 50 years.  More recently in 2013 study published in Science about surface temperature found that Global Warming over the past 100 years has proceeded at a rate faster than any time ever in the last 11,300 years. 

My last reason is that Human-caused global warming is changing weather systems and making heat waves and droughts more intense and frequent.  In May of 2014 the National Climate Assessment report stated that human-caused climate changes; some examples are increased heat waves and drought, they said that these changes “are visible in every state”.  In a more recent study in 2015 it found globally, 75% of exceptionally hot days are connected to global warming caused by human activity.

Some people may say that global warming is caused by natural cycles.  That is not true because, researchers have found that most scientists agree that global warming is caused by humans; a survey by German Scientists Bray and Von Storch found that 83.5% of climate scientists believe human activity is causing "most of recent" global climate change.

Human activity is primarily responsible for Global Warming.  My reasons are: overwhelming scientific agreement says human activity is primarily responsible for global climate change, average temperatures on earth have increased at a rate far faster than can be explained by natural climate changes, and human-caused global warming is changing weather systems and making heat waves and droughts more intense and more frequent.  Ultimately, global warming will impact life on Earth in many ways, but the extent of the change is largely up to us.

on Oct. 14 2015 at 8:07 am
BookNerd464 PLATINUM, Neenah, Wisconsin

I am good, but not an angel
I do sin, but I am not the devil
I am pretty, but not beautiful

No, I am using a reliable source that was just created this year, and how would I be using a report form the 90s if the numbers are from 2010-2015?

RightWingExtremist BRONZE, Riverton, Utah

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
-Ronald Reagan

Our carbon emissions have little to no affect on climate (neither do cow farts) and it sounds like you're citing that UN report from the 90s that has been found to have numerous flaws.