Open Letter to Colleges | Teen Ink

Open Letter to Colleges

Dear Colleges,

I hate you because you're too expensive. Now a day most teenage kids have the plan to go to college to advance their education and be able to get a job that is their career after college. But than you colleges make a lot of students plans not happen or cause stress in the students life when they begin to ask the question to themselves, how am I going to pay for college? You costing a lot of money causing much stress not only during college but even after graduation when people are still trying to pay off their student loans til their 30s.

According to collegedata.com the average public college cost about $23,410 dollars while the average private university costs $46,272 to attend. Having 18 year old kids try to pay 23 thousand dollars just so that they can get an education to get a career is a ridiculous task for the 18 year old. Also on top of that money the average cost of room and board is $9,804 dollars while average cost of learning materials is $1,146 dollars. I know this is just not my concern because recently the government is trying to pass bills making community college free for people who meet the criteria they need to meet. The government also gives out millions of dollars for financial aid to try and make the cost of college cheaper for people that struggle to pay for college.

I think that the price of college should be lowered. It would help with the debt that we are in because lowering the price of college would mean that the government doesn't need to give out as much money for financial aid. Also the price of living on should be lowered. You can rent apartments for less money a year than living in dorms at some colleges.

I am going into college next year worrying about the cost.