Concealed Carry: Good or Bad? | Teen Ink

Concealed Carry: Good or Bad?

By timzbo2018 GOLD, Paragould, Arkansas
timzbo2018 GOLD, Paragould, Arkansas

It's Lonely on the Top

US Citizens should be able to remain to have the right of having concealed weapons if they’re licensed to do so.  A gun is a very dangerous item to have in the wrong hands, but so is a car.  A lunatic of a driver is just as dangerous as a lunatic wielding a firearm.  Anything can be considered dangerous in the hands of the wrong people. Guns are not for everyone, but should we totally abolish the right of bearing arms in public? I think not. 4.8 percent of Americans have a concealed carry permit according to the Crime Prevention Center of the USA.
One reason is for the protection.  A woman traveling alone unarmed is in much more danger than one who is armed.  Criminals are much less likely to rob someone if they believe that person is armed. Sadly enough, in some places in our country it is unsafe for people to be out and about after dark. If you have a weapon showing the criminal will not assault you most likely. If your weapon is concealed like it should be, even if you are assaulted you are much less likely of being harmed. Concealed carry permits don’t necessarily lessen the chance of getting robbed, but if you have a firearm you are much, much safer.

People should be legally enabled to carry a handgun to protect themselves from criminals with handguns. Let’s say you’re out and about one day and someone starts firing at someone at random.  If you have a concealed carry permit and a concealed weapon, you have the eligibility of stopping the shooter by firing at him and maiming him. That shooter could no longer harm anyone or would at least be in a daze until he or she is managed by law enforcement.  One might argue the fact that the law-abiding, law-enforcing police have firearms on hand. This is true, but what if a policeman is not on hand? Guns give people security for when there isn’t an officer of the law on hand.  If you are a female walking home alone one night and there are no policemen around wouldn’t you feel safer if you had a firearm on hand?

One might also argue the fact that concealed handguns increase crime rate.  Concealed carry permits actually deter the crime rates in the US.  Results from an FBI study state that 1,570 murders, 4,177 rapes, 60,000 aggravated assaults, and 12,000 robberies could have been prevented between 1977 and 1992 if concealed carry had been legal in every US state during that time period.  An FBI crime analysis states that murders were reduced by 8.5%, rapes by 5%, aggravated assaults by 7%, and robberies by 3% in states that allowed concealed carry permits.

Many reasons including those stated above and many, many more clearly state that any argument against concealed carry rights are invalid.  The pros of this topic severely outweigh the cons.  Too many people are against concealed weapons or weapons at all! Why are they against them?  I personally think that it is fear. Too many US citizens form their opinions based off their fears. There is nothing at all wrong with the rights guaranteed to the US citizens by the 2nd Amendment, which are the eligibility to own and carry a weapon.