Barack Obama for President This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Every time an election rolls around, people want to know what each candidate’s stance is on the issues that are important to them. Now that I can vote, I am much more interested in the ­political race. In deciding which candidate I want to vote for, there are two main issues for me: the econ­omy and education.

These issues are important to me because they ­affect me the most right now. The economy affects everyone, and education is important because I am about to enter college. When I looked at how each candidate views these issues, one man stood out to me, and that is Democratic candidate Barack Obama.

I like all of Senator Obama’s ideas for improving the economy. He wants to bring the troops home from Iraq, thereby saving the $12 billon we spend there each and every month. Another point that ­Obama makes is that the United States’ current ene­rgy policy is hurting the economy. He ­believes that if new energy bills are passed, it will help the U.S. get out of its current economic slump, and I agree. Finally, Obama plans to eliminate millions worth of tax cuts for those who do not need them. With these ideas and strategies, I strongly ­believe that Obama can improve the current state of the economy.

Obama also has a plan to improve education. He believes that we need to start educating children at a young age. His plan, Children’s First Agenda, addresses early education. He also hopes to close the gap of achievement between students, which means improving schools that need help. He wants to pay teachers more and treat them like professionals, but in exchange he calls for higher accountability.

Obama also has a plan to make ­college more ­affordable. He wants public colleges to be free for students who maintain a “B” average during high school. And he plans to give a $4,000 tax credit for college and university students who complete 100 hours of community service each year. I believe these ideas to improve education are top-notch and will help many students in the United States.

Obama has many good ideas relating to the issues I care about, and I like what he has to say. Therefore, there is no longer any doubt in my mind who will be receiving my vote: Barack Obama.

Duby45 said...
May 15, 2013 at 10:38 am
ALL OF Y'ALL ARE Ratchet!! Probly got folky stain in yo underwear too. SHADOMINIQUA JONES 4 President! On da blood.

CDHLegend said...
I may just be a kid, but I believe that our president is steering our country in the right direction.

badgrl said...
JoCoGirl i strongly disagree with you!! in order for obama to do something about it has to go threw congress and all these people first in order to do something about it you should research it!! 

Desmothenes L. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I understand that you agree with Obama's ideas. I felt that way at first, but then I realized something. President Obama has been creating debt his whole term. In his first two years in office, he created more debt than Bush did in 8. He preaches his almighty "buffet rule". You have to understand that the people making just a bit over 250k are really struggling because of it. The people making million+ aren't really affected at all. Basically Obama is making life much more difficult for people m... (more »)

CammyS replied...
Oct. 30, 2012 at 6:58 am
I (and this may be wrong)  am of the impression that that debt would have been a lot higher if Obama hadn't taken the steps that needed to be taken to clean up the economical mess that President Bush left behind. I feel like Obama has been blamed for what Presidnet Bush had done in his term, because the affects of Bush's desicions had not fully resonated until Obama's term began.

CammyS replied...
Oct. 30, 2012 at 6:58 am

CDHLegend replied...
Thank you!

swcricket98 said...
I can't say whether or not I completely agree with voting Obama into a second term based on the fact that I have not researched his or any other candidate's political campaign, but I would like to say to all of the people commenting about things they know nothing about, unless you have researched the campaigns and can honestly say that you know what you are talking about, then don't act like you do. It's ignorant people like you who cause worldwide issues about discrimination and who cause socie... (more »)

Mossberg702 said...
someone tell me if they still agree with him EVEN THOUGH he doubled our accumulated debt IN ONE TERM!!! 

Pink said...
what has it meant to you to have President Obama as the First African American President

devonchick said...
i totally agree with you! very well writen! great piece!

firelily123 said...
Obama is pro choice which is horrible! He spends so much of goverment money on Obama Care and that is NOT helping the TRILLIONS of dollars in the debt the US is in!!!!!!!!!!!

FroBro replied...
Jul. 12, 2011 at 1:48 am

Do you know anything about obama care? It is extremely underfunded. How is an underfunded program racking up huge amounts of debt? 

And really, choosing a side based on pro life or pro choice is pathetic. There are so many more important issues right now.

_truth said...
You might think we will be saving $12 billion but Obama has propsed more spending in 20 months than all the presidents combined. When you say "eliminate millions worth of tax cuts for those who do not need them", I wonder if you realized that its for people who make over $200,000 a year and that is 50% of the small business owners. Small businesses supply over 75% of job growth in the US. When the tax cuts expire in January it will not stimulate the economy, it will... (more »)

Archangel1410 replied...
honestly hed do better than Sarah Palin. As long as she doesnt become President, which she will have a hard time doing, we are fine.

LittleBit said...
YOu talked about how Obama wanted to educate children at a younger age. Pretty soon there's probably going to be night care. The gov. simply wants to raise this country's children

Kari8 said...
I really like the way you stated your views. I personally am a supporter of McCain, even now after the election. But I think that you did a great job showing McCain supporters like me, a bit of the other side of the story.

BlackMoonWhiteSky This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 8, 2010 at 10:06 am
Word are just words, good ideals are nice but they don't mean squat if someone doesn't do anything about them.
By the way, your paper is very well written and organized.

WriterFanatic This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Exactly, you are correct and I agree with you. Good Job

Persona said...
Good work. You present yourself very well and I agree entirely.