Stricter Gun Control | Teen Ink

Stricter Gun Control MAG

By uhnny1999 BRONZE, Ann Arbor, Michigan
uhnny1999 BRONZE, Ann Arbor, Michigan

Did you know that all handguns are semi-automatic? This means that all that stands between you and death is the pull of a trigger. Limited access to handguns would decrease violence, as has been proven in the past by numerous laws. In addition, the mass killings that throw a blanket of loss and sorrow upon our nation can only be done with guns.

The opposing argument – that the Second Amendment applies and gives us the right to possess guns – is not supported with evidence, and is plain hogwash. When the amendment was adopted in 1791, the general public made up the militia to which the amendment refers. By this definition, only the military and other state security groups, such as the National Guard, should possess the right to bear arms.

Many including Kurt Eichenwald of Vanity Fair, believe that “America needs to repeal the Second Amendment.” Those who do not support gun control believe the solution is to allow everyone to have guns for self-defense. Consider, though, how many brawls break out every day. If everyone has a gun, these fights might not end with just concussions and black eyes; more people would die. On the other side of the argument, with more sensible ­reasons, gun control advocates believe firearms should be taken away from the mentally ill and criminals. The endless debating, conflicts and deaths caused by guns is why my state of Michigan should limit access to handguns.

Quite simply, guns cause violence and death. Even though the U.S. populates only five percent of the world, we own almost 50 percent of civilian guns worldwide. Gun control laws help keep the public safe from heavy artillery weapons. Although the laws in place should be stricter, there is sufficient proof that they succeed in protecting the public. According to the Macmillan Social Science ­Library, the 1994 Brady Law, which required background checks and a five-day waiting period for all handgun sales, prompted a ­drastic decline in violence. Aggravated assaults involving guns dropped 12.4 ­percent, violent crimes from guns decreased by 35 percent, and more than 500,000 convicted felons were prevented from purchasing firearms. After the 1989 ban on importing assault rifles, the number of rifles used in homicides fell by 45 percent the very next year!

The number of people affected by gun violence in America is devastating. Their slogan perfectly summarizes the need for stricter gun control laws. “There are too many victims of gun violence because we make it too easy for dangerous people to get dangerous weapons in America.” Their research showed that in 2011, one-fifth of the 100,000 people shot in the United States were children and teens. Currently, background checks do not ­include charges in non-criminal offenses such as domestic violence and mental health. Creating stricter gun control laws would keep guns away from those who may become violent with the possession of a dangerous weapon.

Newtown, Aurora, Virginia Tech, and Columbine. These mass shootings were all performed with semi-automatic handguns. The shooters had psychological issues. In addition, there have been 70 mass shootings since the attempted assassination of Senator Gifford two years ago. In fact, disputes involving guns have become more and more frequent.

Other devastating outcomes can result from the ­severe trauma of a shooting. In Houston, Texas, several people had cardiac arrests from the stress of a shooting situation. Another consequence is the very grave ­incidents of PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder). The victims of the Columbine incident had reactions after the killing at Sandy Hook. After a near-death experience, and likely physical injuries, victims are also hindered by psychological issues.

The most important and core democratic value, the right to life, has been violated by loose, lethargic gun-control laws. Since this core democratic value is a right we all possess, each person has the right to the protection of his or her life. Guns endanger lives and deprive us of the first natural right listed in the Declaration of Independence. “We … are endowed … with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.” Guns have compromised this right to life, and have also deprived us of feeling safe and secure.

As John F. Kennedy put it, “Change is the law of life.” It is time we changed the laws that made it possible for 20 first-graders to die. We must make it much more difficult for anyone with an untreated mental illness, or someone who has been in prison, to buy a gun. Many others are affected by the effects of these mass shootings including those who have lost loved ones. Even if those killed are not our acquaintances, our spirits are struck by a brutal blow. After the killing of five- and six-year-old children, we cannot help but think: What if? What would their lives have been like? What will they never experience? This is why we must limit access to handguns and make stricter gun-control laws, in the state of Michigan, and the rest of the country.

Islandman said...
on Jun. 3 2014 at 9:02 pm
Ok I'm writing a paper on this as well, and will dispute the authors stance on the issue of stricter gun laws as a nice engaging warm up. (Author is pro gun control) 1. Not all hand guns are semi-auto, (see revolvers, and derringers.) Remember old western movies where the cowboys had to use there thumb to pull the hammer of there revolver back before they can shoot the bad guys. 2. The militia and the military were/are not the same. Author appears to purposely misinterpret the second amendment. Per the U.S Supreme Court "The right besets in individuals not merely collective militias." See also rights of self defense - English common law. 3. The author generalizes gun owners and speculates on their views regarding the solution to gun violence. Author also implies that guns present during brawls and fights would lead to increased shootings. I strongly Disagree. Consider the damage someone could do with a knife, bat, axe, automobiles, or homemade explosives. The firearms are not the cause of escalation. In this logic cops would have officer involved shootings daily. Rational men understand the difference between fighting someone and killing some one. In the conclusion, the author claims everyone has a right to life. Does the author understand just how many individuals are killed and seriously injured in these "brawls" without firearms being involved. Should these victims not have the right to protect the selfs from aggressors bigger badder and stronger then them. 4. Author states that "guns cause violence and death". I disagree. How many criminal charges have been filed against inanimate firearms? Tell me what does a firearm enter as a defense. Guns do not cause deaths anymore than fire extinguishers cause fires. The author drew a correlation, but stopped at that. In countries that have strict gun laws (similar to what the author proposes) have a strong correlation that decreasing firearms coincides with a increase in violent crime rate. (See Australia, UK) 5.author suggests that stricter gun laws would make it difficult to obtain firearms. Last time I checked criminals don't buy there firearms legally. This is more of a criminology topic. 6. Newtown, Aurora, Virginia, and Columbine were used as examples of terrible massacres at the hands of people with guns. These 4 locations also share another thing in common. Law abiding citizens were already prohibited from possessing firearms even for self defense. (School, movie theater, college, school) the author uses the "what if" lead, in the conclusion to get readers thinking of other possible outcomes in which stricter gun laws could have saved lives. But "what if" there was fathers in that theater with there own firearms to defend themselves. What if teachers at the schools and college were allowed to carry their own CW. 7. Author concludes that because everyone "has the right to protection", and that stricter gun control laws can help keep people safe. But ultimately this will do more harm than good. Law abiding citizens will have a difficult time protecting themselves because the difficulty they will have obtaining firearms for self defense. Whereas criminals don't normally buy there weapons legally. (Black market, theft, person to person sales). ultimately as the U.S Supreme Court came down with a opinion that"police have no duty to protect you and your family, it is the duty of the individual. This finding alone is as strong a argument as any. If the police won't show up to protect you from the armed robber at your door, then what would a rational man do? Criminology major. Sorry if grammar is botched I need to start my real paper.

on May. 19 2014 at 4:15 pm
mylifeasapincushion GOLD, Redlands, California

"Extremist have shown what frightens them most: A girl with a book"
-Malala Yousafzai

I agree with you! Your point are good but... It's a opinion/current event, that doesn't mean it has to be boring! Your writing is stiff, in order to keep readers entranced you have to make us interested.

on May. 14 2014 at 12:31 pm
KandiceMichelle PLATINUM, Stansonburg, North Carolina

"Yet God has made everything BEAUTIFUL for its own time. He has planted ETERNITY in the human heart, but even so, people cannot see the whole scope of God's work from beginning to end." -Ecclesiastes 3:11

You have my utmost respect for writing something so controversial. You did a good job writing the piece, but I don't agree with your points. I don't want to bash your opinions because there isn't much of a point. Neither of us are going to agree, but you did a good job writing it :)

axlyte said...
on May. 13 2014 at 1:21 pm
you know this just shows the political education of those blinded to what the government stands for the american flag used to stand for liberty and freedom now it stands for greed i fully support the second amendment and we'll just see where this person ends up to be

MUDDIN55 said...
on May. 9 2014 at 1:40 pm
guns dont kill people people kill people!

taylorr said...
on May. 9 2014 at 9:53 am
is that really nice to say a gun is a gun so what get over it!

on Apr. 28 2014 at 6:22 pm
Ok I started reading this and the sentence that says "All handguns are semi-automatic." What the heck do you think revolvers are? You have to pull the hammer for each shot. If you are doing a gun control essay, you should know the proper mechanics for guns. That being said, something else I found faulty in your paper is the 2nd Amendment. When it says "the right to own and bear arms" is a right of any citizen. The First Ten Amendments are called The Bill of Rights. Those were written to guarantee American citizens their freedom. One last thing that I read while just skimming through is you said that guns are violent and cause more shootings. So I suppose if I were to set my gun on a table and told it to shoot me, it would shoot me? Heck NO! All of the shootings that have happened have been caused by some stupid person who has played to many video games or is just downright crazy. People kill people ... with guns. Sum it all up: If we take guns away from the nice law-abiding citizens, the thieves will still get guns illegally and when they show up on a citizen's doorstep with a barrel in their face, they will not have anything to defend themselves with. The only part I agree with to your essay is the fact that, yes, we do need to control who can and can't own a gun, but let's not restrict everyone from owning guns because then the crime rate will just go up more. Ever read about countries like Switzerland? Read up on it if your are curious.

big i said...
on Apr. 11 2014 at 10:54 am
look not all hang guns are semi automatic yes some are but alot are not so learn somethimg before you post a status about guns im a rancher and have alot of guns and i would know alot of the school shootings happened with bigger rifles like ak 47 alot of guns like that so please please look upsome gun information

big Q said...
on Mar. 14 2014 at 6:25 pm
im not going to deign to finish reading all your article, (its not worth my time), you start out with "all handguns are semi-automatic" look up what a revolver is.. you have to pull back the hammer with every shot. there are also single-shot pistols as well... learn something about guns before you post crap about them online!

on Mar. 14 2014 at 3:23 pm
I found that comment extremely offensive. Just because someone doesn't have a private education doesn't mean you should be little them or that they are anything less than someone with private schooling. Clearly, you are quite arrogant and rude.

on Mar. 8 2014 at 7:21 pm
joannadi BRONZE, Falls Church, Virginia

"Everything must have an ending, except my love for you."

Dear author, I agree with your argument 100% that America needs heavily stricter gun control.  However, this article is slightly misinformed.  Many mass shootings did not occur with handguns but semi-automatic rifles.  DO NOT let pro-gun comments discouraging from pursuing this topic and trying to make a difference.  I have made that mistake and I regret it every day

on Mar. 3 2014 at 1:16 am
the right to bear arms is an amendment wether you like it or not. and not all people should have guns for self defences there are rules that stop ''bad guys'' from getting them. also taking guns away from good american people will take away their defence from people that get them on the black market. and last the 2nd amenment will never be repealed because there are too many people that support the amendment.

country00 said...
on Feb. 22 2014 at 8:39 pm
did it ever occur to you that taking away guns won't take away violence as i said in my first post if you magically take away our guns people find different weapons then what are? you going to do try to take away or restrict all the other weapon? please look for the facts look at different things instead of websites look at songs and online speeches take away my gun when u take it away from my ancestor.  

Country00 said...
on Feb. 22 2014 at 8:32 pm
many of you that are saying yes your only defence is that our crime rate is higher so get rid of guns you say no gun no violence. well who are you to take away the guns people have bought and the guns that have been passed down trough generations? who are you to say that guns are evil they are not! most of my family extended family included knows how to shoot. it is something we have fun doing it is something we care about. who are you that say we shouldn't ave the freedom to shoot, own gune, buy guns, and teach others to shoot with guns. guns are not evil people are evil if you think for one minute taking away guns will solve all the problem then you are mislead. people who want to hurt will find ways to get guns. there are good laws put in place so some people can't get guns but there are also stupid laws that just make it harder for good citizens to obtain guns. it irks me that many of you saying yes strict gun laws don't know what you are talking about. my dad taught me how to shot i will teach my kids and no one can stop me from that. many of you should listen to Aaron wIess second amendment speech he makes fantastic points... also listen to the song "guns" by justin moore. these two men voice there opinions.
yes i understand we do have a lot of violence but you can not just blame it on guns they are just a weapon of choice. look at all the media out today look how much violence is in that im not saying to take away everything with violence im asking you to do research. even if you were magically able to take away every gun in America then people will use other weapons or other things as weapons then are you going to take those away? guns have been around for years its not that guns have gotten more violent causing more deaths people have gotten more violent so don't blame to item blame the person with the fingure on the trigure. i shot for fun i have a FOID card does that mean im a bad person no it doesn't! answer this if a child had done something wrong would you punish him and all his friends? no you wouldn't so stop saying get strict gun laws that is just punishing the people that are careful and smart with firearms

Darkness said...
on Feb. 18 2014 at 2:37 am
mate your trying to tell me that becasue a criminal doesn't follow the law, everyone should be allowed to have guns, does that not mean, that a criminal could get a gun?

Bill Nye Not said...
on Feb. 6 2014 at 9:02 am
Your very first sentence was a lie, why should anyone bother with the rest. I'm guessing you have had a public education.

on Feb. 5 2014 at 9:05 pm
The law doesn't allow us to pull the trigger. It allows to defend ourselves and bear arms. 

danielleaj said...
on Feb. 3 2014 at 6:33 pm
Very convincing essay. To all those complaining about the facts, essays are formal writing and usually have a purpose to convey, persuade for instance, and the facts are just for elaborating and do not have to be correct. They are to serve the purpose of the essay as supporting deatils.

john said...
on Jan. 20 2014 at 3:20 pm
all hand guns are not semi automatic get your facts strait before you open your mouth  

Madd said...
on Dec. 17 2013 at 9:23 am
I agree with you, it's not the guns that are the problem, its the people behind it and whats being pumped into their nervous system. Btw Rush is amazing...