Stricter Gun Control | Teen Ink

Stricter Gun Control MAG

By uhnny1999 BRONZE, Ann Arbor, Michigan
uhnny1999 BRONZE, Ann Arbor, Michigan

Did you know that all handguns are semi-automatic? This means that all that stands between you and death is the pull of a trigger. Limited access to handguns would decrease violence, as has been proven in the past by numerous laws. In addition, the mass killings that throw a blanket of loss and sorrow upon our nation can only be done with guns.

The opposing argument – that the Second Amendment applies and gives us the right to possess guns – is not supported with evidence, and is plain hogwash. When the amendment was adopted in 1791, the general public made up the militia to which the amendment refers. By this definition, only the military and other state security groups, such as the National Guard, should possess the right to bear arms.

Many including Kurt Eichenwald of Vanity Fair, believe that “America needs to repeal the Second Amendment.” Those who do not support gun control believe the solution is to allow everyone to have guns for self-defense. Consider, though, how many brawls break out every day. If everyone has a gun, these fights might not end with just concussions and black eyes; more people would die. On the other side of the argument, with more sensible ­reasons, gun control advocates believe firearms should be taken away from the mentally ill and criminals. The endless debating, conflicts and deaths caused by guns is why my state of Michigan should limit access to handguns.

Quite simply, guns cause violence and death. Even though the U.S. populates only five percent of the world, we own almost 50 percent of civilian guns worldwide. Gun control laws help keep the public safe from heavy artillery weapons. Although the laws in place should be stricter, there is sufficient proof that they succeed in protecting the public. According to the Macmillan Social Science ­Library, the 1994 Brady Law, which required background checks and a five-day waiting period for all handgun sales, prompted a ­drastic decline in violence. Aggravated assaults involving guns dropped 12.4 ­percent, violent crimes from guns decreased by 35 percent, and more than 500,000 convicted felons were prevented from purchasing firearms. After the 1989 ban on importing assault rifles, the number of rifles used in homicides fell by 45 percent the very next year!

The number of people affected by gun violence in America is devastating. Their slogan perfectly summarizes the need for stricter gun control laws. “There are too many victims of gun violence because we make it too easy for dangerous people to get dangerous weapons in America.” Their research showed that in 2011, one-fifth of the 100,000 people shot in the United States were children and teens. Currently, background checks do not ­include charges in non-criminal offenses such as domestic violence and mental health. Creating stricter gun control laws would keep guns away from those who may become violent with the possession of a dangerous weapon.

Newtown, Aurora, Virginia Tech, and Columbine. These mass shootings were all performed with semi-automatic handguns. The shooters had psychological issues. In addition, there have been 70 mass shootings since the attempted assassination of Senator Gifford two years ago. In fact, disputes involving guns have become more and more frequent.

Other devastating outcomes can result from the ­severe trauma of a shooting. In Houston, Texas, several people had cardiac arrests from the stress of a shooting situation. Another consequence is the very grave ­incidents of PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder). The victims of the Columbine incident had reactions after the killing at Sandy Hook. After a near-death experience, and likely physical injuries, victims are also hindered by psychological issues.

The most important and core democratic value, the right to life, has been violated by loose, lethargic gun-control laws. Since this core democratic value is a right we all possess, each person has the right to the protection of his or her life. Guns endanger lives and deprive us of the first natural right listed in the Declaration of Independence. “We … are endowed … with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.” Guns have compromised this right to life, and have also deprived us of feeling safe and secure.

As John F. Kennedy put it, “Change is the law of life.” It is time we changed the laws that made it possible for 20 first-graders to die. We must make it much more difficult for anyone with an untreated mental illness, or someone who has been in prison, to buy a gun. Many others are affected by the effects of these mass shootings including those who have lost loved ones. Even if those killed are not our acquaintances, our spirits are struck by a brutal blow. After the killing of five- and six-year-old children, we cannot help but think: What if? What would their lives have been like? What will they never experience? This is why we must limit access to handguns and make stricter gun-control laws, in the state of Michigan, and the rest of the country.

Trump2016 said...
How about you learn how guns actually work instead of saying all handguns are semi automatic.

trump 2016 said...
Making stricter gun control laws will only take guns away from good, law-abiding citizens. Criminals will always get guns...

elephab12 BRONZE, Katy, Texas
In a country like America, taking away citizens' guns would be a monumental task. Really, it would be easier to cut off every American's right arm. The people here are extremely attached to their guns and always will be, so threaten to take them away would cause chaos. However, one can not hide behind the illusion that owning a gun is always for the greater good. Other advanced countries like Japan, Australia, and Britain have far fewer gun - related deaths each year with no corresponding increase in homicides committed without guns. But any American will realize that trying to establish legislation like Australia's National Firearms Agreement and Buyback Program, is impossible. We love our guns too much. In order effectively remedy America's gun problem we need to instantiate the use of background checks. As long as someone is mentally and physically able to own and use a gun, has no previous criminal history, and has taken a course in gun safety, they should legally be able to own a gun-provided they don't start carrying it out with them to Chilli's. They only danger you encounter at Chilli's is the food. Gun owners should be required to renew their permit every year with the same background checking procedures they underwent to acquire the gun in the first place. As long as a gun owner can consistently meet these requirements, they can have their gun. I don't think this is a novel or earth-shattering concept. Wouldn't you agree that only those responsible and aware enough to own a gun, should have the privilege of doing so?

mplo said...
on Dec. 30 2015 at 11:31 am
The fact that there are rogue gun dealers who operate underground and sell to people illegally, without requiring waiting periods or background checks are a huge, huge part of the problem. These rogue gun dealers need to be put out of business altogether.

mplo said...
on Dec. 30 2015 at 11:19 am
It's agreed...an excellent essay that's very well written, with very good, concisely expressed points. Bravo!

mplo said...
on Oct. 7 2015 at 10:02 am
I beg to differ. I think that the article was well written, and the author did a very good job conveying his/her points across.

mplo said...
on Oct. 7 2015 at 9:57 am
Here's the rub, country00: Nobody says that a person can't be seriously injured or even killed by a knife wound, a blow with the fist or a kick, or even a club, or even an attempted strangulation. A gun, however, is not only far easier to use, but the use of a gun is even more likely to result in a death or a permanent maiming. Depending on the area and intensity of the injury, the chances of survival and/or full reccovery from a stab wound, a bludgeoning, a kick, a blow with the fist, or even an attempted strangulation can and are sometimes better. Also, unlike with automatic weapons (assault rifles, which, btw, definitely should be banned!), one can't beat up, seriously injure and/or possibly kill more than one person at a time. Guns kill and maim many more people much more easily and quickly, partly because the gun is aimed at a distance from people and the trigger pulled, and secondly, unlike with a gun, one actually has to be up close to the person in order to bludgeon, beat up, or stab him/her. Also, due to the fact that a gun is aimed and the trigger pulled from a distance, bullets do much more horrific and extensive and intense damage and are even more likely to permanently maim/kill, because they travel at a much, much greater velocity than even a foot or a fist, etc., could.

mplo said...
on Oct. 7 2015 at 9:44 am
Nobody says that guns cause violence, but they do increase it by quite a bit, because it's way easier to pick up a gun, aim it at a person from a distance, and then pull the trigger. Comparing guns with video games, cars, certain types of music, etc., is totally non-sequitur, first because cars are designed for transportation, and video games and music are for people's enjoyment, as are movies. As a gun-control advocate, I'm aware of the fact that a total ban on handguns is not realistically possible, due to the omnipotence and organized funding of the NRA and the Gun Lobby. Unfortunately, the NRA and the Gun Lobby have affectively bullied lawmakers for several decades out of passing more stringent, affective gun laws, including requiring gun manufacturers to install tamper-proof locks in guns, in order to prevent unauthorized use of the gun in the event that it is lost or stolen. Moreover, here's something else that many people don't know: Most guns that fall into the hands of criminals are stolen from private homes. Anybody who owns firearms needs to keep them unloaded and safely locked up, especially since guns are all too often the first thing that burglar look for when they break into private homes. I also might add that more extensive and intensive background checks are necessary, as well as waiting periods, and Congress should close that loophole that allows the illegal sale of guns at gun shows, and who allow rogue gun dealers to operate underground and sell to anybody that they please. Such rogue gun dealers should be put out of business altogether.

mplo said...
on Oct. 7 2015 at 9:30 am
Guns, imho, provide a false sense of security. Most guns are not used in self-defense, and, moreover, they can be taken away from the owner by the intruder/attacker. Ever heard the expression "No matter how great you are (or think you are), there's always somebody who'll be your master."? That applies here, perfectly, because there'll always be somebody quicker on the draw than the gun owner who supposedly pulls out his gun in self-defense in the event of a home invasion or whatever.

mplo said...
on Oct. 7 2015 at 9:22 am
As an advocate of Gun Control, I strongly disagree with the NRA-propagated phrase "Guns don't kill, people do." Guns do kill people, because guns (except hunting rifles, of course), are weapons of war that are designed to kill people, and they do that with incredible accuracy and alacrity. All it takes is the aiming at the person from a distance and the pull of a trigger to either bring about a death, or a permanent maiming, and therefore an adverse change in one's quality of life.

m-ashreader GOLD, Homercity, Pennsylvania

"You never know until you try!" -author unknown

This an amazing and true! Thank you so much for writing it. I totally agree with you!!!

So someone breaks into your home at night. You can't protect yourself because the government has taken you gun. Then your family dies because you had no way to protect yourself. Let's be honest if bad guys want guns, there going to get guns even if our government takes everyone else's. It's kind of like drugs. Are they illegal? Yes, but still hundreds if not thousands of people still manage to get there hands on them and die everyday. This happens in Mexico all the time. Weapons are not allowed in Mexico but somehow the drug cartel manages to get a hold of guns and kills thousands of defenseless people everyday. Also many people say that guns kill people. If that's the case then spoons make people fat! Put a gun on a shelf and don't touch it. What happens? Absolutely nothing. It goes down to the hear and soul of the people. It's the people that are doing this not guns. If they take guns away a major war will start in America.

T.Snow said...
“The best way to take control over a people and control them utterly is to take a little of their freedom at a time, to erode rights by a thousand tiny and almost imperceptible reductions. In this way, the people will not see those rights and freedoms being removed until past the point at which these changes cannot be reversed.” ― Adolf Hitler From the living devil himself. This sums up what they are slowly and successfully doing to not only our country and our lives, but our future ability to recreate the great country we once lived in. Restricting guns isn't the answer and you're wrong if you think so. We blind ourselves in anger and grief, and forget the real reason were angry. Why are we angry when a tragic event happens, because anger is a universal feeling we all experience everyday in one way shape or another. Its the overwhelming surprise of the situation. All those emotions flowing out at once is trouble. "By this definition, only the military and other state security groups, such as the National Guard, should possess the right to bear arms." is also a loud of you know what. "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."the key word there is "people". Now, stop reading and go to you dictionary... Does "people" mean just the military and state security groups??? The military and state security are people as well, right? ABPippins has a great idea. "In order for guns to become a non-issue, education is needed". If you go into a school and ask the children what they know about guns, most (Not sure of the real statistics, but im sure its over 70%) of the kids know nothing about guns other then they kill people. Education is the first step, but what if everyone was armed? What if someone came up behind you at an ATM, and said they were going to kill you if you didn't give them your money, or if you're at the park and someone kidnaps your child? Normally you would comply with the robber, or maybe you run after the person who just kidnapped your child, but we always call the police. Now, what if we lived in a world where every citizen was armed, or at least 90% of them. This hypothetical country is the same other then most citizens carrying weapons, and we educate our people about guns. Im sure those two individuals would think a lot harder about robbing you or kidnapping your child. But what if they still did. As the robber asked for your money with his gun pointed at you, you would slowly give him the money, comply, and shoot once he turns. As the kidnapper runs off with your child, you turn, see he is gone, start chasing after, and once the bullet path is clear of civilians, you shot. "What if you hit your child or someone else?" im sure you're asking. In this hypothetical country, we were trained at a moderate age to use weapons, and respect them, and learn that everyone is armed, and we should respect them as they respect us enough to buy a weapon to help defend what we both love. Sorry for any typing errors, I wrote this quick while in the car. Please, leave whatever you want as a comment, because in this country, we have the freedom of speech.

ABPippins SILVER, League City, Texas

To die may be an awfully big adventure, but to love is an even grander affair -myself

Amen! I want to read what you wrote for this assignment now! Excellently stated

ABPippins SILVER, League City, Texas

Guns don't kill people. It's the person pulling the trigger that kills people. Guns, in the right hands, are tools to protect, i.e. the police or the military. In order for guns to become a non-issue, education is needed. Not instilling fear in the hearts of Americans, who be those very same unalienable rights, are entitled to their weapons if they feel them necessary to protect their homes, families, and prosperity. Many people make a living as soldiers. If we eradicate the Second Amendment, it takes away any chance of them owning firearms because of PTSD (if they were ever in a situation to develop it). As a Texan, a majority of the people I know own weapons used for hunting and as concealed carry. To tell them they can't have those guns is like telling them the old Republic of Texas was stupid for fighting the Mexican army. If we did not have such strict gun control laws in today's society, fewer people would obtain firearms illegally and fewer incidents would arise with gun related crimes.

abcdef said...
on Apr. 29 2015 at 9:08 am
EXACTLY! That is so true, THANK YOU!

on Mar. 20 2015 at 11:09 am
Clinton_C. BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio

"Clever girl"

oops sorry my internet caused a double post

on Mar. 20 2015 at 11:06 am
Clinton_C. BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio

"Clever girl"

As long as america is free there will be no "Taking guns away" they take guns away from people who need it to be taken away so dont punish the good people who spend money on hunting licences and buy guns to hunt for their family's, Also guns dont kill people, people kill people and no i didnt get that from a certain tv show i honestly do think that and so do many more americans. P.S. im not saying america should not be free i'm just saying that america's gun laws will most likely not ever be stricter their as strict as most can get them without causing an uproar within more than 3/4ths of the country

on Mar. 20 2015 at 11:03 am
Clinton_C. BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio

"Clever girl"

As long as america is free there will be no "Taking guns away" they take guns away from people who need it to be taken away so dont punish the good people who spend money on hunting licences and buy guns to hunt for their family's, Also guns dont kill people, people kill people and no i didnt get that from a certain tv show i honestly do think that and so do many more americans.

Don't forget,though, that if people don't have guns, then they'll simply resort to other dangerous weapons. Even if it's legal, like a kitchen knife, they'll use it, and even though they won't kill as many people, they'll still devastate the same number of people.