What is America Shooting for These Days? | Teen Ink

What is America Shooting for These Days?

December 21, 2012
By Aaliyah-marie BRONZE, Lakewood, Colorado
Aaliyah-marie BRONZE, Lakewood, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
when you fall, i'll be there
-floor


The Columbine High School shooting. The Aurora theater shooting. And now, since early this morning of December 14, 2012, the Sandy Hook Elementary school shooting. What do all of these incidents have in common? Shooting. And what does shooting mean? Guns. So... does that mean that this kind of domestic terrorism can be stopped if guns are gone? No.

Guns don’t kill people. People kill people.

William Just, a (responsible) gun owner says,“Look at these other countries. Look at iraq. Look at Africa. Outlaw guns and you get death. Bad people like cartel members, clans, gangs, and so on, have guns yet the common people don’t and what happens? They get slaughtered and they don’t have a chance. Look at the law on drugs, illegal, right? But... all the time, we hear about how they’re still being used, still ruining lives.”

The painful truth is, that in today’s world, it seems that there is always going to be these crazy, delusional people that for some reason or another, cause anything from a single murder to mass murder. Now, I’m not saying that everyone should go out and buy themselves a gun but, if guns become illegal, common people will follow that law but the potential murderers will not. They will stash their guns and possibly use them for anything they so desire. If we keep guns around, well just think of it this way: for those of us who don’t plan on murder, it kind of just “levels the playing field” in case we ever need to protect ourselves or other innocent lives.

I understand completely that there are many, many people all over the world who are against anything and everything involving guns.But they’re wrong (in my opinion). Our ancestors and their ancestors had ways of protecting themselves and the ones they love. Ever since our country was born and before then, people had a way! Sure, people were killed back in the days when the majority of Americans (women, men, children included) carried guns but the fact of the matter is that either they were protecting someone, something, or themselves, or were just a part of some feud or something.

Well, another thought that occurred to me was this: what drives these people? And yes, I’m talking about the people who committed murder. Take the Sandy Hook Elementary school shooting. This mid-twenty-year old man, Adam Lanza, killed twenty seven people. Twenty seven! This included 20 kids, six adults, and then, himself. Why?!?!?! Is it because the world is said to end on December 21, 2012, or in other words, seven days? Is it because they just have physiological problems? Or is it because they are bullied into committing heinous crimes, as was the case in the Columbine High school shootings by Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold?

Guns can be the center of many hours of dispute. I could go on writing this paper for days but I think that the most important fact that needs to be included here is that, without guns, how will anybody survive the zombie apocalypse??? No, I was just kidding. :) But for many people, guns can be a part of their culture or heritage. Many people these days still hunt for their own food. Even I go hunting every year with my family. I remember when I had to take the Hunter’s Safety Course and the first thing I was told was,“Here, we do not call guns weapons. Ever. Here, they are called firearms.” Now , you might be thinking that this has absolutely nothing to do with what I’m supposed to be writing about and that I’m just wasting time to make my paper be longer...but I’m not. In my opinion, this shows that these people clearly don’t want to use these guns to hurt anybody but to simply hunt for their own food. Some people are probably saying to themselves, “I don’t care if that’s your opinion or not!” Well... newsflash, you’re reading a personal commentary! :)

So, clearly, it would be a very wise decision to never ever prohibit guns for many reasons and many possible consequences.