Hear Me Out | Teen Ink

Hear Me Out

By Hannah Bird BRONZE, Nashotah, Wisconsin
Hannah Bird BRONZE, Nashotah, Wisconsin

Barack Obama
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue,
Northwest Washington, DC 20500

Dear Mr. President:
America is headed in a dangerous direction, and the Obamacare bill is only adding to our country’s current destruction. There is only one way to solve this major problem, and that is to reverse the bill completely. I know that I am speaking for most of America because according to polls, the majority of Americans do not agree with Obamacare. If you truly care about the good of the country, please consider the following points supporting my conclusion to reverse the healthcare bill.
The United States was built on a Constitution that was meant to restrict the power of the government. With your Obamacare bill, you will be eliminating the individual liberty of American citizens and therefore taking another step towards socialism. The government will be making decisions on what medical services and treatments the elderly will receive because The Independent Payment Advisory Board will have rationing power over Medicare. Also, the federal government now has the power to force us to buy individual health insurance, which makes us wonder: what we will be forced to buy in the future?
Due to Obamacare there will be less doctors taking care of more people. The doctors will be getting reimbursed less for the same amount of work, which will contribute to an emerging doctor shortage in America. In fact, it is projected to lead to a shortage of 91,500 doctors in 2020. Surveys show that hundreds of thousands of doctors will be leaving the medical profession due to Obamacare. This bill is encouraging hard-working professionals to abandon their life’s work and careers because they will be overworked and underpaid.
With the overbearing government control connected with Obamacare, small businesses will be forced to close their doors and put people out of work because they simply cannot afford to provide expensive health insurance for their employees. This results in both job loss and a lack of motivation for businesses to hire new employees.
Mr. President, I am asking you to take a step back and look at the facts – before it’s too late. Obamacare will impose more than 20 new taxes on the American people, totaling $500 billion. Furthermore, when the bill was signed you said that it would cost $940 billion. Now, according to the CBO, it is estimated to cost $1.76 trillion over a decade. That is money our nation cannot afford. This bill directly affects not only me, but over 300 million Americans. As a senior in high school planning for college, it has deterred my life plans to enter the medical field as I’m positive it has done to others. Please reflect on the points I have presented with you today, and consider me simply a voice for the greater American public. Thank you.