Teen Driving | Teen Ink

Teen Driving

May 11, 2012
By Adam Yde SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
Adam Yde SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Teen’s are inexperienced drivers and need to focus on driving. Today texting and driving is an issue among teens. Teens should not be able to text and drive because the chances they get into an accident increase dramatically.

Teens should not be able to text and drive because the chances they get into an accident increase. The average time your eyes are off the road because of texting is five seconds. To put that in perspective when traveling at 55 mph, that’s enough time to cover a football field. (2009, VTTI) Also a texting driver is 23 times more likely of getting into an accident than a non-texting driver.

Teens are inexperienced drivers as it is so they do not need distractions. Using a cell phone while driving, whether it's handheld or hands-free, delays a driver's reactions as much as having a blood alcohol concentration at the legal limit of .08 percent. (2009, University of Utah) If people aren’t allowed to drink and drive this fact shows they should also not text and drive. Also 49% of drivers with cell phones under the age of 35 send or read text messages while driving. (2011, Harris Poll)

Driving can be dangerous if people do not pay attention to what they are doing. Let’s get rid of these distractions to keep our society safer.