Hunger Games | Teen Ink

Hunger Games

February 20, 2012
By Anonymous

World Hunger is something that many people should look into, especially in Africa. It affects so many people, but it feels like not enough is being done for it to be finally put to an end. The US also has no excuse to not help, because we are one of the wealthiest nations in the world. World hunger is a terrible thing, and it will not magically be fixed. But as a nation, we can try our hardest to do something to at least help.

Something we have a lot of and Africa does not is money. Statistics show that for the US to satisfy the world’s sanitation and food requirements would only be 13 billion dollars. Which is equivalent to what the people of the US and European Union spend on perfume each year. Another thing to add on is all of the facts that are given. Experts also say that every day, almost 16,000 children die from hunger-related causes. That’s one child every five seconds. As shown on Worldhunger.org it shows that, in 1991, 46% of African children were chronically hungry, compared to only 16% of white children.

Though it may seem impossible by looking at all of these statistics, we can help and make a huge difference. Things like holding a fundraiser for the people in Africa will help out a ton! It would give them enough money for food for themselves as well as their family. One more great way to help out is to go on mission trips with your Church; this will make a person understand the conditions the people in Africa go through on a daily basis. Another thing is to just simply donate money, because anything will help these people in need.

Mother Teresa had concern about this cause as well. She pleaded that if you can’t feed a hundred people, then just feed one. Basically, she’s saying if you can’t afford to feed a lot of people, just feed a single human being, because anything would help! Now ask yourself this, is there anything wrong about feeding a hungry and malnourished child?