Our Biggest Friend | Teen Ink

Our Biggest Friend

By swofftastic BRONZE, Coppell, Texas
swofftastic BRONZE, Coppell, Texas

Whaling is a huge problem worldwide. Large, intelligent are mammals already being driven to the brink of extinction and under pressure from other human activity. Last year 1700 whales were killed. Humans need to start doing more to save the whales, if something is not done to stop the killing of these amazing creatures, then whales could be gone forever.

In recent history humans have started to make laws to stop the killing of whales, however these laws have proved to be almost useless. Japanese “scientists” have been killing whales in the name of science and then selling the meat for profit for years. This is not about science, and it never has been. It’s not even about profit anymore, because we have negated their profits. It’s simply about pride. These killers walk around calling themselves scientists, claiming to be looking for ways to help the environment, when really they are destroying it faster than most people can imagine.

To say that whales are being killed as a food source is a completely invalid argument. Whale meat is sold as a very expensive type of meat, anyone who has trouble obtaining food on a daily basis, has no chance to afford such an expensive cut of meat. What’s more is a large amount of the meat from whales goes to waste, seeing that it is not edible for humans. If you’re thinking of eating whale, you might want to think again- the blubber of dead whales in some areas is so highly contaminated with organochlorines such as pesticides that it would be classified as toxic waste!”

The entire reasons listen in this paper only begin to scratch the surface of all the reasons why humans should stop killing the majestic creatures. As responsible citizens of this world, all humans must pull together to save the whales, before we lose the opportunity to save them.