Democracy the double edge knife | Teen Ink

Democracy the double edge knife

January 29, 2012
By Mousam Shah GOLD, Mumbai, Other
Mousam Shah GOLD, Mumbai, Other
12 articles 0 photos 0 comments

In the phrase of Abraham Lincoln, democracy is a government "of the people, by the people, and for the people." Etymologically, democracy is derived from two Greek words ‘demos’ meaning people and ‘kratos’ meaning rule. But sometimes it becomes necessary to curb few democracies so as to ensure the prevention of other people rights. Some souls should be threatened so that other people lives could be saved. If you ask comman Indian that is he proud of being Indian he will say yes despite of corruption , this is because the free air they breath. Even after this Millions live in conditions of such impoverishment and hunger and poverty and the nation if it had a collective conscience, would have taken it up on a war footing to bring them up to atleast a 'human' level of existence.
True, we may console ourselves, be optimistic that things are changing albeit slowly,and we will be there some day- when is that some day- 250 years from now?, at the pace of change we have seen thus far.
Democracy has meant rights for some at the cost of the majority of its populace, and while responsibilities and duties should have been the other side of the coin, it has conveniently been cast aside.
We notice the big speeches delivered on the independece eve, from the president and PM, you could record them and play them all over without having to see the next version.
I do not know which alternative suits the best , of this I am pretty sure- democracy is a failed experiment for India thus far.May be we people need some revised form of democracy in the form of curbing some democracies