Distracted Driving Kills | Teen Ink

Distracted Driving Kills

November 29, 2011
By farmerdude BRONZE, Evanston, Wyoming
farmerdude BRONZE, Evanston, Wyoming
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

You are driving to a friend’s house, and all of a sudden your phone gets a new text message. So you think nothing will happen if you answer it, so you do. You take your eyes off the road and put them on your phone. Then you swerve into the other lane and hit another car and kill a family of four. Now you have to live with the guilt of killing a happy family. So don’t let this be you. Leave your phone in your pocket or purse while you’re driving.

Texting while driving is one of the most dangerous things on the road. According to the Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS) and National Automotive Sampling, 20% of all crashes are caused by a distracted driver. So if you want to answer that text, you are just going to put your life on the line or someone else’s life.

Teens are the most seduced to text and drive. According to the American Automotive Association, about 50%of teens admit to have text while driving. That is a lot of teens putting their life’s at risk. When you are 16 to 20 you think that you have to answer every text right away. But you really do not. Your friend can wait to get a text message when you are at your destination. Also if you answer it, your friend may never get to text you again.


I know you can text at the stoplights but if they turn green you have to go. So if you are still texting, you are going to be in trouble. Then you have to drive off and you are still texting and that just turns you into a hazard on the road. So if you get a text message, it is not that important. If it was important they would call you. So would you latter live to see another day or die trying to get that text off before the light turns green.


They have not passed a law that says that texting is ban. There is a law in some states that do have a law against texting and driving. There will be a law in your state at one point so you better start practicing leaving your phone alone. So until the law hits your state just make it a law in your mind.

In addition, when you are on the road leave your phone alone. Texting and driving is really dangerous to you and everyone. If you are a teen don’t be seduced to texting and driving. Also set the law in your mind to not text and drive. Now it is your turn to change the way you drive. Just tune out your phone and go on with living a normal life.