The Universe Is A Zoo! | Teen Ink

The Universe Is A Zoo!

October 24, 2011
By salmaroxursocks SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
salmaroxursocks SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
5 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
to fear love is to fear life, and those who fear life are already 3000 parts dead.


I personally believe that people should not be allowed to keep exotic or wild animals as pets for several reasons. One for the safety of the human, second because it robs them from their freedom and natural habitat, and lastly because the responsibility is huge. I think the idea is unsafe, unsanitary, and life threatening. It is not a good idea in my eyes.

First and foremost, the reason I think people should not be allowed to keep wild and exotic animals as pets is because it threatens the safety of the human. For example, they require constant attention and care. Sometimes animals can go out of control and it would be too much for the pet keeper to bear. They can hurt the humans physically because they are wild. They get stronger the older they get. They can also carry serious diseases or sicknesses which can do something as drastic as kill the human. They are very fatal and I couldn't take the risk of being killed just to get to keep a wild animal at my home and harm myself or my family. According to the Association of Zoos and aquariums, "Keeping wild animals as pets can be dangerous. Many can bite, scratch, and attack an owner, children, or guests. Animal owners can be legally responsible for any damage, injuries or illnesses caused by animals they maintain. Wild animals can carry diseases dangerous or fatal to humans. Diseases include rabies, distemper, herpes viruses, salmonella, polio, tuberculosis, Rocky Mountain spotted fever and bubonic plague. Wild animals also harbor parasites, such as intestinal worms and protozoa." Based on my opinion and the knowledge of experts, this is why I believe that the safety of humans is too important to keep a wild animal in your home.

Secondly, I believe people should not be allowed to keep exotic and wild animals as pets is because it robs the animals of their freedom and natural habitat. Being in a cage all day isn't good for the animal. It is not the environment it is used to. the animal is out of place and it might make the animal hard to handle. It can also put a certain type of animal into endangerment. Animals cannot reproduce and repopulate when their locked in a cage! According to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA), "To meet the demands of those who keep exotic animals as pets, dealers often have to take the animals from their native lands. This disrupts the ecosystems from which they are stolen, and can disrupt the ecosystems to which they are taken if they escape or are set loose." It just isn't a good idea. Not only are they torturing animals, they're torturing the whole ecosystem ! People should be trying to help save the animals' natural habitat- not destroy them! These pet owners are taking away the animal's freedom. This is just another reason why I think there is no excuse to keep a wild and exotic animal in your home.

Lastly, but definitely not least, I think wild and exotic animals should not be allowed to be kept in someone's home is because it is too much of a responsibility. The cost of food, shelter, and medical expenses can be too much. Also, by owning a wild animal, you make yourself vulnerable to disease and you take responsibility for all the animals actions. This is a wild animal, the way they act can be unexpected. By owning one, you make yourself liable for anything your pet might do. According to Ezine Articles, "Providing appropriate environmental conditions, housing and diet for an exotic pet may be difficult for several reasons:
o insufficient information may be available on caring for exotic pet
o adequate housing may be difficult and/or expensive to procure or build
o it may be difficult to provide the correct environment for the exotic pets (such as temperature or amount of sunlight)
o feeding the correct diet for exotic pets
o providing the right social environment for highly social species" The responsibility of keeping a wild animal in your home is too risky. That is one of the reasons why I think it is wrong to keep a wild animal in your home.
In conclusion, I think wild animals should not be kept in your home under any circumstances what so ever. It is wrong in my eyes and I was able to prove by my knowledge and the knowledge of other sources that it shouldn't be done. Because of the safety of the human, freedom of the animal, and responsibility, this is why I think exotic and wild animals should not be kept in your home.