Could this law be anymore criminal? | Teen Ink

Could this law be anymore criminal?

By jacked_up_sharpie GOLD, Fort Worth, Texas
jacked_up_sharpie GOLD, Fort Worth, Texas

"Talk when you are angry, and you'll make the best speech you'll ever regret."

I watch the news at 6 pm. They have the camera pointed to a group of people, yelling. With mouth open, yelling harsh names. I feel sick to my stomach. To watch human beings, people who are suppose to have a heart and brain,be so cruel.
My eyes travel to my mother that is trying to stand up to my lazy uncle. He's laying on the couch, as always. Lazily, he sits up, as if that makes him any more human. Before my mother can even get a fit words out, he screams out his opinion. Getting louder and louder, and my mother standing her guard. She's not letting him win. Not this argument.
Arizona has issues the law that if you look illegal, then the police are allowed to search you. My mother is getting deported in a month. I've been calm throughout all this. The eight months of fighting the law, of getting ready for the worst, and degrading goodbye. All this, and now she's leaving. Sadly, this is a relief for both of us. The feeling of no more fighting, and no more worries. It's all uphill from now on. Or so we thought.
Here comes my uncle, all might and tall. He believes that the nawly painted law has its rights.
"If you were to learn english, Liliana, and be a true America, perhaps this wouldnt have happened."
He has no right. Considering the fact that he married my aunt, while she was illegal.
If we, as spanish talkers, are liable to speak english for the sake of Americans, why can't they talk spanish for us? There are more mexicans, peruvians, puerto ricans, ext, then there are Americans. Yet, they want us all gone? We run this so called, "Free" country. Of course, we get none of the credit.
Since we rather wear rags, then suits. Eat at home with families, then cheat on our wifes with our work. Since we stand tall, they all want to tear us down. That's what no one has been able to notice. We are all fighting with every muscle we got, to show what we're made us. To show our bravery, intelligance, and visionary. Since our skin is a bit tanner, we are worthless trash that should return to our countries. America is our country. Here is our couches, television, kitchens, and heart. We have such a vision of the perfection in a world. Getting thrown to the ground doesn't stop me. We get up, dust off our pants, and continue with our lives.
I have my life to show to the world. So while my uncle sits on the couch, thinking that everyone worships him, just because he's an American, i'm showing that im worth it. I will stand tall. Not for the Americans that watch me fall, but for every hispanic person out there. We can make it, and we will. No matter where we land, we will make our home.

My mother is getting deported, and i have been quiet long enough.

bluesky0728 SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona

You said you live in Arizona, yet you don't realize how near IMPOSSIBLE it is to enter the legal way! Hundreds of people have been on the waiting list literally from their birthday to their dying day, and have stayed in Mexico with no opportunities their whole lives! America is the land of the free, so you can't blame a struggling mother with a young child for wanting a better future for her baby! There's almost no chance to come here legally, but for her family, she will do anything! And Republicans talk about family values, ha!

By the way, great job to Jacked up sharpie, this was a really good story! Thank you for sharing.

krazykathleen BRONZE, Edwardsville, Illinois

"7/5 of all people do not understand fractions." -Unknown

Sorry I read the thing about wives wrong. Excuse that comment. However, referring to the line afterwards- it's not because your skin is tanner! It's because a lot of Hispanics have entered illegally!

I am sorry to hear about your mom though. As much as I disagree with you, that has got to be hard.

America is not your country if you have entered it illegally!!! You say we don't learn your language, but why don't you try to learn ours? It goes both ways! And yes, it is a free country, and no you don't run it, and you don't get credit because people shouldn't get credit if they are illegal!! And not all Americans wear suits- there are plenty of white Americans who are poor. There are plenty of successful Latinos who wear suits as well, and they have entered America the right way, and I have nothing against them! And, what are you trying to say, that all Americans cheat on their wives (not wifes) and no one of Latino descent doesn't? Don't criticize our race because we're apparently against yours. People should return their countries and wait to get into this country the legal and right way, instead of running over the border! And Arizona doesn't have issues, that is my home! I'm not racist, I just think illegal immagration is wrong. Enter our country the right way or not at all!

on May. 9 2010 at 8:33 am

First of all, thats New Yorks law. THAT law makes sense. and to do something the legal way? We try. We all try to do everything as best as we can. But when we're in the ground, with absolutely nothing, then you try to make the best for yourself. Why can't a country just to try to help ANYONE. For it's reputation? To have no dirty hispanics crawling around? Please, if you were ANY of one of us, would you consider doing things, the legal way?

MisplacedTexan14, Saratoga, California

"If you can't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them."- a Bumper Sticker
"If Obama was the answer, it was a stupid question." - Another Bumper sticker

Yes we want you to speak English. America is an English speaking country. If you want to live in our country you should learn our language. Plus, Arizona's new law isnt bad. It only enforces immigration. Theres already a federal law that does the same thing! The police cant search you if you "look" illegal, they can only ask for identification if you have been pulled over or something for breaking ANOTHER law. No other country in the world has open borders, or just lets anyone come in. Why should America? You want to come to America bad enough? Do it the LEGAL way.