Could this law be anymore criminal? | Teen Ink

Could this law be anymore criminal?

May 1, 2010
By jacked_up_sharpie GOLD, Fort Worth, Texas
jacked_up_sharpie GOLD, Fort Worth, Texas
13 articles 0 photos 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Talk when you are angry, and you'll make the best speech you'll ever regret."


I watch the news at 6 pm. They have the camera pointed to a group of people, yelling. With mouth open, yelling harsh names. I feel sick to my stomach. To watch human beings, people who are suppose to have a heart and brain,be so cruel.
My eyes travel to my mother that is trying to stand up to my lazy uncle. He's laying on the couch, as always. Lazily, he sits up, as if that makes him any more human. Before my mother can even get a fit words out, he screams out his opinion. Getting louder and louder, and my mother standing her guard. She's not letting him win. Not this argument.
Arizona has issues the law that if you look illegal, then the police are allowed to search you. My mother is getting deported in a month. I've been calm throughout all this. The eight months of fighting the law, of getting ready for the worst, and degrading goodbye. All this, and now she's leaving. Sadly, this is a relief for both of us. The feeling of no more fighting, and no more worries. It's all uphill from now on. Or so we thought.
Here comes my uncle, all might and tall. He believes that the nawly painted law has its rights.
"If you were to learn english, Liliana, and be a true America, perhaps this wouldnt have happened."
He has no right. Considering the fact that he married my aunt, while she was illegal.
If we, as spanish talkers, are liable to speak english for the sake of Americans, why can't they talk spanish for us? There are more mexicans, peruvians, puerto ricans, ext, then there are Americans. Yet, they want us all gone? We run this so called, "Free" country. Of course, we get none of the credit.
Since we rather wear rags, then suits. Eat at home with families, then cheat on our wifes with our work. Since we stand tall, they all want to tear us down. That's what no one has been able to notice. We are all fighting with every muscle we got, to show what we're made us. To show our bravery, intelligance, and visionary. Since our skin is a bit tanner, we are worthless trash that should return to our countries. America is our country. Here is our couches, television, kitchens, and heart. We have such a vision of the perfection in a world. Getting thrown to the ground doesn't stop me. We get up, dust off our pants, and continue with our lives.
I have my life to show to the world. So while my uncle sits on the couch, thinking that everyone worships him, just because he's an American, i'm showing that im worth it. I will stand tall. Not for the Americans that watch me fall, but for every hispanic person out there. We can make it, and we will. No matter where we land, we will make our home.


The author's comments:
My mother is getting deported, and i have been quiet long enough.

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 65 comments.


on Feb. 4 2011 at 4:59 pm
wordsoflife SILVER, Starke, Florida
7 articles 0 photos 18 comments

Favorite Quote:
Truth is the absence of Lies. -me

Are u kidding? If I were goin to live in China, I'd sure learn Chinese! If you want to be an American, learn English and don't complain. By the way, most illegal immagrants bring in illegal drugs and steal.

on Nov. 22 2010 at 10:49 pm
coolstudygirl GOLD, Vermilion, Ohio
16 articles 0 photos 38 comments
Flaka spelled country wrong. Well anyways you should always your proof of citizenship and everything else that indentifies you. And this bill is NOT racist.

on Nov. 22 2010 at 10:45 pm
coolstudygirl GOLD, Vermilion, Ohio
16 articles 0 photos 38 comments
If you do not have American Id then you'll be deported they'll look if you have American Citizenship.

on Sep. 19 2010 at 11:02 pm
spiritualrevelationrevealspainandrevolution PLATINUM, Eugene, Oregon
23 articles 0 photos 212 comments
sure, many white people immigrated here after everything, i was unfair in generalizing. but what would you do if some foreign people came and stole your land, and killed your people trying to take something you hold dear?

on Sep. 18 2010 at 2:26 pm
krazykathleen BRONZE, Edwardsville, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 99 comments

Favorite Quote:
"7/5 of all people do not understand fractions." -Unknown

Thank you TxDragon!!

on Sep. 17 2010 at 10:05 pm
TxDragon BRONZE, Saratoga, California
1 article 0 photos 61 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Come and Take it!" -citizens of Gonzales, Texas, when the Mexicans tried to take away the cannon used to defend their town.

You think that all white people are responsible for the massacres of Indians? I think my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandfather would have been about two and living in Italy around the time of the early settlers, so I'm pretty sure my family's blameless.  And, the colonists weren't the only ones slaughtering innocent people. The Indians didn't just sit around and pout, they were pretty cruel, too.  There's two sides to everything.

on Sep. 17 2010 at 7:41 pm
spiritualrevelationrevealspainandrevolution PLATINUM, Eugene, Oregon
23 articles 0 photos 212 comments
sure we have an immgration issue, but this is just cordially inviting racism into arizona, and yea i agrre white people(me included) are responsible for the massacres of native americans and stealing their land

on Jul. 6 2010 at 12:39 am
Treefiddy BRONZE, Tarzana, California
1 article 0 photos 158 comments

What is this? Let anybody who wishes to enter this country in regarless of the costs? Does it matter that Arizona has the highest kidnapping rates in the US? We will put up a border to try and stop illegals from entering the country but if they are able to get in, they will be lavished with entitlements and subsidies? Forget the millions of people who are waiting to enter this country legally, who abide by the law? If a state dares to pass a law (which reinforces federal law), to protect itself and the security of its citizens, it must be condemned? The 30 percent of people who are against this bill think backwards.

Illegals can't just make their home whereever they drop. We are a soverign country and we have a legal process for citizenship. We do not stand up against hispanics, we stand up against illegals.


on May. 25 2010 at 8:34 pm
TxDragon BRONZE, Saratoga, California
1 article 0 photos 61 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Come and Take it!" -citizens of Gonzales, Texas, when the Mexicans tried to take away the cannon used to defend their town.

Just because you're suffering, just because you're poor, or it will take forever to become a legal citizen, you have NO RIGHT to come into this wonderful country illegally.  I don't know what it would feel like to be a Mexican looking for a better life, but I do know that when my family moved to Argentina, we learned spanish, we wen't to an Argentinian school.  And when we came back to America, we spoke english and said the American pledge in school.

on May. 25 2010 at 8:29 pm
TxDragon BRONZE, Saratoga, California
1 article 0 photos 61 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Come and Take it!" -citizens of Gonzales, Texas, when the Mexicans tried to take away the cannon used to defend their town.

but they didn't throw bottles at the policemen.  The only ones being violent were the ones trying to "stop the hate" all the while, spreading hate themselves.  Hatred of their own country, America, and their own state, Arizona.

on May. 25 2010 at 8:27 pm
TxDragon BRONZE, Saratoga, California
1 article 0 photos 61 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Come and Take it!" -citizens of Gonzales, Texas, when the Mexicans tried to take away the cannon used to defend their town.

NO.  If he doesn't have his driver's liscense (which, by the way, he should) if he can speak english and has other proof of citizenship, he will not be arrested.

on May. 25 2010 at 8:24 pm
bluesky0728 SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona
8 articles 0 photos 107 comments
So if he, an American-born guy, had a broken tail light, he could be arrested for not having his proper papers (just a drivers' license isn't enough under this law!) where I could just be let off with a warning and not required to carry anything! This violates our civil rights, because people are required by law to do things that others aren't, just for their race!!!

on May. 25 2010 at 7:42 pm
jacked_up_sharpie GOLD, Fort Worth, Texas
13 articles 0 photos 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Talk when you are angry, and you'll make the best speech you'll ever regret."

At firs it was the people ptotesting , which i thought was wrong as well  afterwards, people atarted proteting against the people protesting  

on May. 25 2010 at 6:56 pm
TxDragon BRONZE, Saratoga, California
1 article 0 photos 61 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Come and Take it!" -citizens of Gonzales, Texas, when the Mexicans tried to take away the cannon used to defend their town.

I just want to ask, in the beggining of your article, who is the yelling group of people supposed to be?  The only ones I remember who yelled hateful things and were violent were the people protesting Arizona's law.

on May. 25 2010 at 6:54 pm
TxDragon BRONZE, Saratoga, California
1 article 0 photos 61 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Come and Take it!" -citizens of Gonzales, Texas, when the Mexicans tried to take away the cannon used to defend their town.

Go MisplacedTexan!! I agree with you completely.  If these people loved and respected our country, they would abide by our amazing country's laws, and come to America the way our ancestors did: legally, and with every intention of leaving behind their old lilfe to become totally and completely an American who would stand by their country no matter what.

on May. 25 2010 at 6:49 pm
TxDragon BRONZE, Saratoga, California
1 article 0 photos 61 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Come and Take it!" -citizens of Gonzales, Texas, when the Mexicans tried to take away the cannon used to defend their town.

Some people are just not logical.  The reason police would more likely think a latino is illegal than a Irishman is because the current illegal problem is with Mexicans.  If there was a problem with Canadians coming here illegally, the police would be looking for Canadians.  It annoys me that so many people cry "racism" about every little thing.  No matter hwo nice a Mexican is, or how hard life is in Mexico, everyone should have to come to America legally.

on May. 25 2010 at 6:45 pm
TxDragon BRONZE, Saratoga, California
1 article 0 photos 61 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Come and Take it!" -citizens of Gonzales, Texas, when the Mexicans tried to take away the cannon used to defend their town.

He could only be arrested if he was stopped by police for some other law violation, then gave the police reason to suspect being illegal.  An example: A cop pulls over a man for speeding.  The cop soon realizes that the man has no driver's liscense and cannot speak english.  That implies that the man is here illegally.  Only then can he be arrested and deported. And if he's here illegally, he should be deported.

on May. 24 2010 at 8:01 pm
MisplacedTexan14, Saratoga, California
0 articles 0 photos 106 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you can't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them."- a Bumper Sticker
"If Obama was the answer, it was a stupid question." - Another Bumper sticker

What offends me about it is these people's complete disregard for my country's laws. They are breaking THE LAW!!!  Arizona's new law mirrors a federal law! A law that is ALREADY THERE!!!! It is bad because illegal immigrants are taking jobs of Americans and showing that they want to come to America, but not pay taxes, or abide by our laws, or be a real American. I love this country, when I'm old enough I want to serve in its military, and I don't like people breaking the law and coming here illegally, and expecting to be allowed to stay.

on May. 24 2010 at 7:52 pm
jacked_up_sharpie GOLD, Fort Worth, Texas
13 articles 0 photos 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Talk when you are angry, and you'll make the best speech you'll ever regret."

yes, illegally being here is BAD. but whats so bad about it? Why does it offend you sooo much?

on May. 24 2010 at 7:25 pm
MisplacedTexan14, Saratoga, California
0 articles 0 photos 106 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you can't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them."- a Bumper Sticker
"If Obama was the answer, it was a stupid question." - Another Bumper sticker

What is wrong with being illegal? HELLO!!! You are illegal. Those who come here illegally show that from the start they have no respect for America's laws. if they want to come here so bad, they can do it legally! Also, you said that since I say you are wrong and you are hispanic, I'm discriminating. So, if you say I'm wrong and I'm white, does that make you discriminating against whites. i'm also a girl, so are you sexist? No. By saying i can't say you are wrong, just because of your skin color is being racist. I don't care about skin color. I care about character. People who hide behind their skin color, and say that every critisism of them is racist have weak character and don't know how to back up their arguements with facts. Facts like this: Arizona, a border state, with thousands of illegal immigrants, has a city (Phoenix) which is the kidnapping capitol of the USA. Now, not every illegal immigrant is bringing drugs, or kidnapping people, but each and every one of those illegal immigrants in our country is breaking our laws by being here ILLEGALLY!!!!!