Could this law be anymore criminal?

I watch the news at 6 pm. They have the camera pointed to a group of people, yelling. With mouth open, yelling harsh names. I feel sick to my stomach. To watch human beings, people who are suppose to have a heart and brain,be so cruel.
My eyes travel to my mother that is trying to stand up to my lazy uncle. He's laying on the couch, as always. Lazily, he sits up, as if that makes him any more human. Before my mother can even get a fit words out, he screams out his opinion. Getting louder and louder, and my mother standing her guard. She's not letting him win. Not this argument.
Arizona has issues the law that if you look illegal, then the police are allowed to search you. My mother is getting deported in a month. I've been calm throughout all this. The eight months of fighting the law, of getting ready for the worst, and degrading goodbye. All this, and now she's leaving. Sadly, this is a relief for both of us. The feeling of no more fighting, and no more worries. It's all uphill from now on. Or so we thought.
Here comes my uncle, all might and tall. He believes that the nawly painted law has its rights.
"If you were to learn english, Liliana, and be a true America, perhaps this wouldnt have happened."
He has no right. Considering the fact that he married my aunt, while she was illegal.
If we, as spanish talkers, are liable to speak english for the sake of Americans, why can't they talk spanish for us? There are more mexicans, peruvians, puerto ricans, ext, then there are Americans. Yet, they want us all gone? We run this so called, "Free" country. Of course, we get none of the credit.
Since we rather wear rags, then suits. Eat at home with families, then cheat on our wifes with our work. Since we stand tall, they all want to tear us down. That's what no one has been able to notice. We are all fighting with every muscle we got, to show what we're made us. To show our bravery, intelligance, and visionary. Since our skin is a bit tanner, we are worthless trash that should return to our countries. America is our country. Here is our couches, television, kitchens, and heart. We have such a vision of the perfection in a world. Getting thrown to the ground doesn't stop me. We get up, dust off our pants, and continue with our lives.
I have my life to show to the world. So while my uncle sits on the couch, thinking that everyone worships him, just because he's an American, i'm showing that im worth it. I will stand tall. Not for the Americans that watch me fall, but for every hispanic person out there. We can make it, and we will. No matter where we land, we will make our home.

TxDragon said...
May 25, 2010 at 6:56 pm:
I just want to ask, in the beggining of your article, who is the yelling group of people supposed to be?  The only ones I remember who yelled hateful things and were violent were the people protesting Arizona's law.

jacked_up_sharpie replied...
May 25, 2010 at 7:42 pm :
At firs it was the people ptotesting , which i thought was wrong as well  afterwards, people atarted proteting against the people protesting  

TxDragon replied...
May 25, 2010 at 8:29 pm :
but they didn't throw bottles at the policemen.  The only ones being violent were the ones trying to "stop the hate" all the while, spreading hate themselves.  Hatred of their own country, America, and their own state, Arizona.

Mexican_Barbie said...
May 22, 2010 at 4:45 pm:
o and this is the mexican version of the civil war era all over again. what up with that?

Mexican_Barbie said...
May 22, 2010 at 4:39 pm:
I feel ya. Dude this law is soooo freaking racist. People who support it would say that its not, thats its right. Its racist because its based on your looks. Its based on if you have dark skin or not. If you do, you get deported. What if Obama was driving in Arizona? A cop pulls him over. Looks at his skin from what he can see and calls border patrol and deports him. No one even looks at him because the white cops assume hes mexican and are "disgusted". What happens next? Obama sues this cop and... (more »)

jacked_up_sharpie replied...
May 23, 2010 at 10:13 am :
Of course. And it's not even the fact that i'm defending illigal immigrants. I'm NOT. I'm trying for everyone to see how bad it has to be for the people that ARE legal, and still have to be put through this. I mean, it's as bad as if they were to whip black people that aren't slaves. Our color does not imply what we are, or what we once were. It just implies that our parents were that color. Big Deal. Does everyone just want a big huge crayon to color themselves a different color of the day. NO.

kidfan13 replied...
Nov. 22, 2010 at 10:45 pm :
If you do not have American Id then you'll be deported they'll look if you have American Citizenship.

nerdypenguin19 replied...
Dec. 26, 2011 at 4:39 pm :
Mexican_Barbie, I'm not sure you even know what you are talking about. The law says that if someone breaks a law, the police are allowed to check if they are a legal citizen or not. How on earth is that racist? It is a fact that the most illegal citizens in Arizona are Mexican. That doesn't mean that police are going to go and deport everyone with dark skin.

flaka said...
May 19, 2010 at 2:17 pm:
us as latinos, were strong. i loooveed your wrighting i agree with you. thank you so much for sharing. i really think that this is a racial issue because there are dominicans out there that look african american and they are illegal too, but i bet there not gonna be stoped but all we can do is stand strong and proud of who we are and what we have accomplished. Im sooo sorry about your mom :( 

saimne This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 15, 2010 at 2:10 pm:
many mexicans forget that they only reason this problem has risen is because mexico happens to be americas geographic neighbor. if mexico was disconnected like the other nations with emigrants coming here, ie the philippines or korea, then they would have to go through the legal process like everyone else. i am half filipino half mex so i have sympathy for both sides, but its not fair that all the mexicans get to cheat while my family is waiting in the philippines experiencing the same po... (more »)

bluesky0728 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 15, 2010 at 1:12 pm:
But "they" wouldn't pass that bill because "they" are mostly white. And they're arresting people with darker skin; my example was my sister's boyfriend. HE HAS DARKER SKIN! He's from Mexico, but he's a U.S. law-abiding citizen. Yet he could still be arrested because this law is racist!

TxDragon replied...
May 25, 2010 at 6:45 pm :
He could only be arrested if he was stopped by police for some other law violation, then gave the police reason to suspect being illegal.  An example: A cop pulls over a man for speeding.  The cop soon realizes that the man has no driver's liscense and cannot speak english.  That implies that the man is here illegally.  Only then can he be arrested and deported. And if he's here illegally, he should be deported.

bluesky0728 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
May 25, 2010 at 8:24 pm :
So if he, an American-born guy, had a broken tail light, he could be arrested for not having his proper papers (just a drivers' license isn't enough under this law!) where I could just be let off with a warning and not required to carry anything! This violates our civil rights, because people are required by law to do things that others aren't, just for their race!!!

TxDragon replied...
May 25, 2010 at 8:27 pm :
NO.  If he doesn't have his driver's liscense (which, by the way, he should) if he can speak english and has other proof of citizenship, he will not be arrested.

lnvo97 said...
May 14, 2010 at 6:14 pm:
The new law is so... stupid!!! America is all about immagration, plus you dont find cops pulling over other races that could be illgeal, just the hispanics!!! although im not hispanic (im asian) i think is bitterly unfair!!! all everyone is doing about it is debating ang arguing, what good is that gonna do?!?!?!?!?!?!?! everyone is this counrty/their family was, an illegal immagrant/ was an immagrant so what the point of doing this?!?!?!?! one day we might even have a very first hispanic preside... (more »)

May 11, 2010 at 7:41 pm:
If my sister's boyfriend (he's Mexican, and yes he's legal) happened to have a broken taillight and was pulled over, he COULD and probably WOULD be arrested if he didn't have his papers with him! But would I, a white Arizonan, be arrested for the same crime? No! Why? Because the Immigration Bill is racist!

krazykathleen replied...
May 12, 2010 at 5:19 pm :
Well then he should just carry his papers with him. And you wouln't be arrested because the people they're looking for are Hispanics who are illegal- those people are from Mexico and people are darker skinned there. The problem right now is with those people with darker skin, and I'm not being racist, that's just how it happens to be. It could be the same with people coming from Ireland, and are most of those people white? Yes! So if they passed a bill that pulled over Irish people on the h... (more »)

flaka replied...
May 19, 2010 at 2:24 pm :
well we should be free to walk around with out worring about no one watching us and thinking we are criminals WHEN THE MOST OF US DO MORE THINGS FOR THIS COUNTRIE THAN PEOPLE LIKE YOU DO! im not going to argue with you but i strongly disagree with you i know for a fact that if you where in this sitution which a lot of latinos stand on, you woulD change your opinon completely..

May 19, 2010 at 5:22 pm :
Thank you, flaka! Someone understanding, finally!

kidfan13 replied...
Nov. 22, 2010 at 10:49 pm :
Flaka spelled country wrong. Well anyways you should always your proof of citizenship and everything else that indentifies you. And this bill is NOT racist.