"Don't ask, Don't tell" | Teen Ink

"Don't ask, Don't tell"

By jetpilot BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
jetpilot BRONZE, Reno, Nevada

“Don’t ask, Don’t tell” what do people think when they hear these words? Dose it make them think military standards or something else entirely. These four words have been the "gay" policy of the military for over 16 years and now congress is trying to repeal it. Should it be change though? Since 1981 there has been a law against gays, lesbians, or bi-bisexual's serving in the military. Before it was revised in 1993 by Bill Clinton, it used to say that no gay lesbian or bisexual could serve in the military at all no exemptions. But when Clinton was campaigning for presidency he promised to abolish that and make it so that homosexuals could be open about their sexual orientation and serve in a military branch and with no consequences. This ideal was thrown out by congress but they revised the law none the less (Military Personnel Eligibility Act of 1993) to say that sexual orientation will not dictate if the man or woman can serve, but if they openly engage in homosexual activity they can and will be discharged. In this quote form the New York Times it explains the new policy that was put in place best.

“Sexual orientation will not be a bar to service unless manifested by homosexual conduct. The military will discharge members, who engage in homosexual conduct, which is defined as a homosexual act, a statement that the member is homosexual or bisexual, or a marriage or attempted marriage to someone of the same gender.”
– quoted in "The Pentagon's New Policy Guidelines on Homosexuals in the Military", The New York Times (July 20, 1993), p.A14.

Now the question that has been brought up today by congress who is trying to repeal it, is this law wrong? Should it be repealed and changed? Or possibly get rid of it completely. Some agree with congress saying that it is well over due and gays, lesbians and bisexuals should be able to be open about their sexual orientation while in the service. But why change this when it’s not hurting anyone. Is there a real definite reason for repealing this law? Besides the fact that some believe it is morally wrong. Gen. James Conway a member of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the commandant of the Marine Corps. said this "Our Marines are currently engaged in two fights, and our focus should not be drawn away from those priorities." I find this to be a valid reason as to why congress should not repeal this law. Men and women fight for us day in and day out. People's daughters, sons, mothers, husbands, fathers, wifes serve at the risk of there life for us. Some would argue that they want them focused so that they come home safely. Instead of in that casket draped in the American flag, being saluted by an honor guard. The law should not be touched or repealed there are bigger and badder things in the world today that America should worry about. Though many say that a soldiers sexual orientation is not the any of the military's business. And that it should be let go and accepted through the ranks. But it is their job to keep soldiers safe and alive. And if this repeal fight over " Don't ask, Don't tell" jeopardizes that safety it becomes their business.

There is also the fact that once this law is changed or abolished more changes will have to be made. Such as barracks, showers, the money for this to take place in all military branches is just not available. But because people want to change this policy they will have to come up with it. The way they will most likely get it is by taxing the American people. That sounds like a load of joy. And when that happens Americas, senators, congressmen, most likely everyone who has to deal with this new tax increase will not be happy.

There are ignorant and unchanging people all over this world. Even in the military. Not all are as accepting as CNN makes it out to be. I believe that once this law has changed that those people will cause trouble and more people will get hurt than helped by this law change. In the case of Allen R. Schindler, a petty officer in the Navy, he was killed by a shipmate because he was gay. Clinton used his case in his speech to congress when trying to get “don't ask, don't' tell” passed. This young man was brutally murderer in 1992 by Terry M. Helvey, a fellow shipmate who stomped him to death in a bathroom park in Sasebo, Nagasaki. The body was so badly beaten that it was almost unrecognizable. Schindler had four fatal injuries to the head, torso, his ribs were broken, his head was crushed, and a number of other unmentionable injuries. This could happen again if the law is changed, and someone dose not like it. People who are not open to change sometimes do anything to prevent in from happening. the sailor who committed the crime was sentenced to death and dishonorably discharged. high stakes for murdering a fellow brother in arms. But, there are people who believe they are doing what the law should. They take matters into their own hands and deiced the fate for others them selfs. This price doesn't scare all.

So if congress does decide that this law needs to be gotten rid of or changed then there will be an abundance of changes that will have to be made. The risk of the service men and women getting hurt gets higher. And there attention will be drawn away from the problems at hand. What will happen is not really sure, but what can happen is left to uncountable possibilities.

As a military kid and a person who plans to enter the Navy I wanted to write about something that might affect me one day.

Karma_Chameleon SILVER, English, Indiana

To be able to say "I love you" one must first be able to say "I" - Ayn Rand

Not bad, very nice article. Needs a bit of grammar work, but otherwise good job!