Future Agronomics | Teen Ink

Future Agronomics

By Daniel VanOverbeke BRONZE, Fairmount, North Dakota
Daniel VanOverbeke BRONZE, Fairmount, North Dakota

Future Agronomics
The world’s population is exploding, and we haven’t been able to keep up with the demand for food. I feel that future holds more of the same in regards to food supply. With the population expected to reach 10 to 20 billion by 2050, I feel that technology will not be able to develop fast enough to feed the millions of starving nations.

The challenges we face are enormous, due to the fact that so many countries are still developing and not doing their share to provide for the food shortage. With our current strategy, our resources are being threatened, destroying our land, soil, air and water. Using the plan now in place, the resources needed to produce agriculture products are deteriorating at an exponential rate. Developing countries will have to step up to the plate and produce adequate amounts of agriculture goods. The obstacles present opportunities for developing counties such as Chile, Ukraine, and ect. With so far to come, the developing countries have the chance to take advantage and produce agriculture for the starving world. These countries can become educated and therefore making their knowledge of Agriscience stronger. With the need for improved methods, jobs will be presented providing many students globally the opportunity for agriculture education. All in all, the malnutrition problem is immense and only can be solved in a global effort.
Continuing on that note, I feel the United States should not be totally responsible for solving all the agricultural problems, but should take the role as the educator. The United States is the leader in producing and manufacturing agricultural goods. We have the best knowledge of agriculture, so therefore we should share it in research and development, and relay this information to developing countries.
I believe we start by holding global seminars provided for less dependent nations. These less dependent will be able to contribute new ideas to the global problem. Laws should be put into place to insure the progress of these countries. Agriculture science will need to be taught in school to also educate the future producers. These countries have nothing to lose; only gaining affordable food and a solid economy. The opportunity is there for less advanced nations to expand their resource and development.

The United States also has a choice in abandoning are caring strategy and provide only for ourselves. By this I mean highly taxing exports and keeping new agricultural information secret. Doing this would starve millions of people. I feel that the education method is the obvious choice. Developed nations are currently working on new and innovative agricultural methods that will help our dire situation. All in all, global teamwork will be needed to overcome the malnutrition problem.