Obama: What was this country thinking?

By , Littleton, CO
On a usual election day I usually wait anxiously, glued to the tv keeping updated on the election results. This election day was far different. I knew the sad fact that the new leader of our nation was Barrack Obama. While he was a politician running for election the election had little to do with politics. The basis of this election in all reality was the basis that he was black. I have nothing against the people of other Ethnicity than my own, its just simple facts. I took time to ask some of my friends why they wanted him for president. The initial silence said it all. A couple said it would be a monumental day to have the first black president. But should this really be the reason for electing a president? In my opinion this is not a responsible reason to elect the most powerful man in the world.
The horror of Obama continued quickly into his administration. Within a quick period of time in became apperant that Guatamana Bay was to be closed. I have heard much debate on what is moral to do to a human to get information out of someone,torture. I have a older brother who just got back from Iraq who is serving in the marines. I cannot think of a single person who does not want to support our troops and do anything for their welfare. For me,and other familes with a family member in any military service,we would approve any measures to find out information that will bring our family members home carrying a american flag, not wraped in one. The iformation not only would save military lives but think if it stops a terrorist attack that could potentialy kill hundreds is that worth the torture of a person whos goal is to cause harm to innocent people. I do believe it is.

southcarolinacountryboy said...
Feb. 4, 2015 at 10:39 am
Im ready for him to get out of the white house!

peace_love_beauty said...
Hopefully he does NOT get elected again.

SingLoveLiveSmile said...
This piece is making a lot of assumptions. People didn't elect Obama just because he's black. And your remarks on torture are incredibly one sided. Many, many innocent people have been tortured because of misinformation. And do you think a terrorist is going to give good information while they're being waterboarded. Our government gets tons of misinformation from torture...like what sent us into Iraq. If it weren't for torture, thousands of soldiers would be alive right now 

Reaganator40 said...
Change is only valuable if it is successful. Here we are in 2011 with unemployment hovering around 9%, underemployment at 17.5%, and economic confidence at -50. While a person who instills feelings of hope in others is commendable, the promises must be successful. In this case, they aren't.

FroBro said...

We are at war in the first place because of Bush, no Obama. In Bush's plan to fight terrorism, he wanted to focus on afghanastan and on Iraq. He never authorized anyone to look in Pakistan. When Obama became president, at his first conference with our military leaders, he was asked for permission to search Pakistan. Guess what happens as soon as we look there? 

Obama has helped this war move along.

rockyraccoon said...
Jun. 26, 2011 at 2:33 am
okay you have some good points but Obama was not elected because he was black he just seemed a better choice than mcane who was unfit for presidency. Also you may be right about the prison but toture seems wrong maybe it would help but toture doesn't allways work and it would look bad to americas allies

Fate98 said...
Jun. 1, 2011 at 8:30 am
Ye you make a good point actually. I  clicked on this page, tinking i was about to read some racest jerk's rubbish that i would then leave an angry strongly worded comment on. It seems worse on Americas part electing him for electing him only because he is black. I come from the UK and dont really follow USA politics but you do make a very good point

Threefiddy said...
Aug. 19, 2010 at 12:25 am

The American people, in a fit of fear and confusion, voted in the most liberal senator in the United States Senate. They judged him not on the merit of his experience, not on his associations, not on the substance of his words, but the empty rhetoric and slogans which people substituted the actual substance of his words for what they believed he stood for. He has nationalized more of the American economy more than any other President. He said he would do all of these things, and most of us ig... (more »)

Tenthmuse said...

I wish the republican candidate was somebody other than McCain.  I don't think as many people wanted Obama as people just didn't want McCain.

Also, Obama promised change, but I'm not liking the changes.  He's not my favorite president.

TheMaisinator said...

People don't know what they're talking abouttttttt!  There was probably silence because your friends didn't either.  This doesn't make sense.

alwayswriting14 said...
You totally get the right idea. Obama was a bad choice. I mean, look at Obamacare? In 2005 he was not okay with the 51 vote thing but now he's ready to do it himself with healthcare.

Persona said...
You can support troops without supporting inhumanity(especially detaining people for said torture without proper trial. "Secret evidence" is bull). What is the point of fighting a war based on principle if we lose our own principles in the process? As far as that goes, one doesn't even have to support the war to support our troops. Rise Against puts it nicely. "Support the troops, end the war."

saimne This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
terrorists dont deserve trial. (well what if theyre innocent) our intel is so awesome that we've got so much dirt out these radicals! with these methods we've stopped atleast 50 terrorist attacks!

Persona replied...
May 3, 2010 at 11:09 am
You entirely over estimate our intelligence. Our intelligence also told us about weapons of mass destruction when we got into the war with the middle east in the first place... WHOOPS! But, whatever, I suppose you don't care about the Australian who was detained without trial, unjustly, kept away from his family in terrible conditions, because he was sight seeing and caught up in the battle. Or the British couple that were sight seeing in the middle east, and also detained, unjustly, w... (more »)

this is all of US soil, which is not what iwas addressing. of our soil, we have to work around the obstacle of communicating and cooperating with the nation we are in. this can obviously lead to horrible miscommunication. also, can you put these mistakes into perspective? if these are the only mishaps out of 100, then this info is just pure human error. but it were more like 1/10 then we're talkin.

the terrorist attacks i refer to are the ones by terrorists detained on our soil,... (more »)

Persona replied...
May 4, 2010 at 10:53 am
Perhaps you should've taken my comment into perspective:  Try reading the article. Don't just go off tangent and discuss what you please in response to someone else, when it isn't concerning what their talking about. I, as you seem apparently unaware, was discussing the closing of Guantanamo Bay. Not seeking to prove that the person you are detaining is an actually is terrorist is not "human error", it's systematic error.

yomommaisblah said...
you probably wouldnt, most people who are terrorists have to do it because they are not in a very fortunate position. their families usually get some sort of reward for it. the people who do it by choice are just stupid.

CreativeWrite replied...
If your in a bad position it doesnt give you the right to do wrong

yomommaisblah replied...
ya, but would you rather watch your family die?

Kyle T. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
than have 2000 people be crushed and burned to death in the twin towers?