Obama: What was this country thinking? | Teen Ink

Obama: What was this country thinking?

On a usual election day I usually wait anxiously, glued to the tv keeping updated on the election results. This election day was far different. I knew the sad fact that the new leader of our nation was Barrack Obama. While he was a politician running for election the election had little to do with politics. The basis of this election in all reality was the basis that he was black. I have nothing against the people of other Ethnicity than my own, its just simple facts. I took time to ask some of my friends why they wanted him for president. The initial silence said it all. A couple said it would be a monumental day to have the first black president. But should this really be the reason for electing a president? In my opinion this is not a responsible reason to elect the most powerful man in the world.
The horror of Obama continued quickly into his administration. Within a quick period of time in became apperant that Guatamana Bay was to be closed. I have heard much debate on what is moral to do to a human to get information out of someone,torture. I have a older brother who just got back from Iraq who is serving in the marines. I cannot think of a single person who does not want to support our troops and do anything for their welfare. For me,and other familes with a family member in any military service,we would approve any measures to find out information that will bring our family members home carrying a american flag, not wraped in one. The iformation not only would save military lives but think if it stops a terrorist attack that could potentialy kill hundreds is that worth the torture of a person whos goal is to cause harm to innocent people. I do believe it is.

ILoveCoffee BRONZE, Airdrie, Other
you probably wouldnt, most people who are terrorists have to do it because they are not in a very fortunate position. their families usually get some sort of reward for it. the people who do it by choice are just stupid.

tristan said...
if he chose to take actions of a terrorist, then yes he i would be ok with him being tortured.

ILoveCoffee BRONZE, Airdrie, Other
Tristan, how would you feel if your brother was tortured? please look at this bothways thx.

jhook said...
I disagree with you, I do think Obama was the best choice. He promised change, and change is what we need. After Bush led us to nothing. Time will show, thats all I have to say.

OscarDonovan BRONZE, Cowes, Other

You should try everything in life, except incest and barn-dancing.

Little insight from the UK - Obama is a decent politician, and you've got some positive changes coming your way because of him (the NHS isn't as bad as you'd like to think Esteban!). It was inevitable his ethnicity would be used to both boost his support and attack him, but the fact is the best man won! It would have taken one hell of a crap democrat to lose against McCain.
P.S Sarah Palin = gun-toting Maggie Thatcher!

patientkindbalancedfine BRONZE, New York, New York

"Things do not change; we change."

The reason people wanted Barrack Obama elected is simple: he promised change. And yes, it was absolutely montumental for him being the first black president! Think of how liberating that is for the African-American culture!

You said that electing a president solely because he is of a different race is wrong, and i agree with that. But Obama being elected did so much more than bring change--it showed that America is finally accepting people, despite their race.

Abi Johns said...
on Oct. 30 2009 at 11:23 am
Abi Johns, Holland, Michigan
oops, my apologies to theflamingorange, my post was addressed to Bobbie.

EstebanV said...
EstebanV, Burlington, Massachusetts
britain and canada has worse health care than we do, it's single payer which leads to higher taxes.

Abi Johns said...
Abi Johns, Holland, Michigan
How can you [theflamingorange] say that President Obama is a moron? He is doing the best he can under the circumstances left for him by President Bush. I am not saying you should vote for someone just because of his/her race, I am behind President Obama not because he the first black president but because I am a steadfast democrat and believe that he can change America for the better.

theflamingorange BRONZE, San Jose, California

"I do not want people to be very agreeable, as it saves me the trouble of liking them a great deal." -Jane Austen

Where am i getting my facts from?

http://blog.nola.com/guesteditorials/2009/04/how_effective_is_torture_not_v.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A2302-2005Jan11.html

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9958544/

http://www.amnestyusa.org/askamnesty/torture200112.html

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_torture_an_effective_way_of_getting_information

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torture

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_Convention_Against_Torture

I've done my homework. You really think there is nothing ethically wrong about torturing another human being?

CreativeWrite, Littleton, Colorado
theflamingorange, im not sure what you have heard about torture facts and such but my brother who is a marine has had is life saved by facts given away from people who have been tortured. I want you to ask yourself if this was your brother would you still not want a terorists tortured?

None of your facts really counter my own. Britain has a much better healthcare system than we do, this i know for sure. Obama did indeed promise to get the troups out of there, but its not as though he can snap his fingers and be done with it. Where are you getting this information from? Fox News?

ImmortalDay said...
I love this Article It's true. I think we need to define "torture" some things aren't and some maybe. and his policy is copied right out or mien kunf It's german I misspelt it but that what people voted for.

Bobbie said...
on Oct. 25 2009 at 11:13 am
How can anyone say Obama was the better choice. He is an incompetant moron. Social health care only causes problems the evidence is in Britian, a 2year waiting list to get treated for cancer depending on the type; moreover, by then its to late. Is that what we want America to be like? how can anyone agree with him, when he has told us nothing but lies. He said he was taking the troops out of Afgahnistan, Baghdad and Iraq...but now the troops are doubling in size!! Obama..... is a Terrible president and America will suffer at his hands.

MasterKFJ96 SILVER, South Hempstead, New York

"Anger is a constant equation, Reason is the variable."

To some degree this is very touchy subject that provokes alot debate. I like the way you stated your opinion in this essay even though I still disagree.

I disagree with you, on the most part. When Hilary Clinton was still a candidate, I was talking to a friend's mom and she blatantly said that she would vote for her because she was a woman. I think that is a horrible reason to elect someone with that much power. However, I think Obama was a good choice, especially when you look at the alternative option, McCain and Palin. Especially Palin. Torture is wrong. End of story. I know we have troups fighting for us, but torture is WRONG. Besides, studies have shown that torture doesn't actually gett good information. The techniques they use mottle the mind, and they confuse people to a point where they can't remember what actually happened, only what they are being told. They will say anything to end it.