How Many Of You Hate America?

The common view of things is often different from the reality. They can be twisted, beautiful images that shield us from the truth. Sometimes people should think of it not as a shield, but as a blindfold. Because a world superpower is taking steps too far. By consuming more fossil fuels than is necessary, by standing still and making no military progression when it was needed, and by waging war on a country and attacking soldier and civilians over a mere dispute for oil. This “great” country, is America.

Many people look to America and sigh with envy at “the American Dream” . However, that dream cannot last long, while America is guzzling up precious resources left on a rapidly crowding planet. These figures speak for themselves about the evident greed of America:

Coal > Production
531,822,000 ton

Coal consumption
1,060,000,000

Commercial energy use
8,148.38

Electric power consumption > kWh
3,920,613,000,000 kWh

Electricity > Consumption
3,892,000,000,000 kWh

Gasoline prices
0.77

Geothermal power use
5,640

Natural gas > Consumption
652,900,000,000 cu m

Natural Gasoline > Production
12,275,000 ton

Nuclear electricity generation
780.1 terawatt-hours

Nuclear energy consumption
821.1 terawatt-hours

Nuclear reactors operable
104

Oil > Consumption
20,680,000 bbl/day

Oil > Exports
1,165,000 bbl/day

Oil > Production
8,457,000 bbl/day

Oil imports > Net
10,400,000 barrels per day

Oil reserves
22,450,000,000 barrels

Usage per person
8.35 TOE per person

Wall plugs > Voltage
110 V

Wind energy installation
6,740 MW

These crimes are forgivable, as other nations are guilty of many similar crimes, such as Brazilians chopping down the Amazon. But global warming is not the most important aspect that we can hold against America. America has extorted countries beyond the point of recovery. Equador, for example, was reduced to a poor scrabbling wreck once America dealt out loans to them. Now Equador only has 5% of its national budget to spend on public services, whilst the rest of the money goes into paying off foreign aid, almost all of which goes to America. Is this right? Is it fair that Americans can bully nations? Furthermore. America threatens, assasinates, and then goes to war with the presidents of countries who refused to run their countries as they like. The war with Iraq is a simple example. America wanted oil. Iran refused to give for no good reason. Why should we just let them do this to us? Us as a world?
Oh yes, because they have guns!

The U.S.A government is a trigger-happy collection of murderous power figures, They do so much to the world, and yet they have nuclear arms and their military to point at other nations, and say “give me your money!” They succeeded for so long due to pure fear, but now other countries have the chance to strike back. America doesn't have all the power anymore. A single grain of rice can tip a scale. Somehow, America has set in a system which everybody likes. A system where people don't think. Where they impulsively buy items that will break very soon. In America, only 10% of items bought for a house are kept for more than a month, and only 5% of those remain for 6 months. America designs products to be made so they break as soon as possible, but will still leave the client with faith in the product, enough so to buy themselves more.

But who benefits from this system?

The aristocrats do. Right up in their trees, lording over us. There are bankers who awarded themselves millions of dollars in bonuses whilst creating a recession that would cripple thousands of struggling individuals around the world. This doesn't cause stress for people living on government benefits, but for the people who are just above the poverty line. America makes those people struggle and work every day. It does so by enforcing a system where the elite (namely money-posessing) people take hold. Can nothing be done to create a fair and happy world?

Well, there is something you can do. You can be fair. You can be smart, and you can think before reaching for your credit card while watching an auction channel. You can PAUSE and WAIT before buying that “wonderful new shave”. We have to know our limitations, and stretch them. Whoever is reading this, YOU are the workforce. You are the people economically enslaved. There is hope. You can work together towards goals such as Project Venus, Save The Forests, Oil Conservation, and Fairtrade. These small lifestyle changes will help you sleep at night. How can we sleep after reading this, knowing that we are only here through the turmoil and suffering of potentially hundreds of other men, women and children.

When a child reaches to the future, who will have the heart to say, “we've used it up, son.”

LaurenTaylor said...
May 23, 2011 at 7:02 pm:
Yeah, okay, America is horrible. So that's why in America, you have freedom of religion, welfare and food stamps to help you get by if you can't, homeless shelters, a military to protect you, good schools, and a beautiful landscape. Seriously, you think a bunch of numbers are going to prove anything? Pleaseee.

MacaroniMan said...
May 17, 2011 at 7:53 pm:

I support the idealogy of soviet russia

TheKingThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 17, 2011 at 2:22 pm:

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when it deserves it"

-Mark Twain

The Government and the people are two seperate entities, dont blame the country for its governments mistakes.

lordhamstertron said...
May 16, 2011 at 1:49 am:

First of all, we were always bound to run out of fossil fuels, that has always been inevitable.  There are people currently working to find alternatives.  Second, did you take into account that the US at leat 5 times more citizens than the UK?  This is a big factor into our energy consumption.  And how dare you compare the government to a terrotist organization.  Do you know the definition of a terrorist?  Someone who inflicts, oh, I don't know, terror, in... (more »)

jerry of seinfeld said...
May 14, 2011 at 2:04 am:

Wow! Your article is one those that stand up to the test. Whether it passes or not is up to the opinion of the reader.

I'll have to say that this article has some truth interpreted differently.

jerry of seinfeld replied...
May 14, 2011 at 2:11 am :
Also, you should have given us your resources.

DylanBaugher said...
May 9, 2011 at 3:03 pm:
I live in America and i agree.. Its not that great of a place, yes there is worse places to live, but alot of better places. Our goverment keeps things from us and lies to us. And do be really have a say in what they do? not really

Pwned replied...
Jun. 11, 2011 at 5:49 pm :
Well, yeah, we kind of do. We elect the people that make the bad decisions. So don't place the blame on others.

swcricket98 replied...
Jun. 26, 2011 at 1:21 am :
And what are these better places? Because last time I checked Americans are the ones who have freedoms. Who have shelter & food no matter what position. If you don't like America so much why don't you just move to one of those better places you were talking about?

WritingSpasms said...
May 8, 2011 at 7:23 pm:

Yes, we Americans point our toy guns at other countries and rob 'em in their sleep. Yes, every five seconds we throw out some random object because its taking up so much breathing room. Yes, we are totally unaware about the nation's economy and how it impacts us, or more importantly, how the American bankers have cheated American CITIZENS. Their own countrymen. And yes, we all don't care about the environment and la di dah.

Until you live with an American or experience being an America... (more »)

SkyDeer said...
May 6, 2011 at 9:06 pm:
This is truly a new one. All I can say is you have a lot of nerve to make fun of such a great place.

lkjhgfdsa replied...
Jun. 3, 2011 at 2:19 pm :
I totally agree

Talitha said...
May 6, 2011 at 4:55 pm:

Wow, you must really hate America to spend your spare time looking up numbers to back up your feeble argument. How can you accuse America of bullying other countries when your own has a long list of transgressions throughout history? True, we are not perfect, but that does not change the following: 

America bailed out its allies in Europe after WWII, eventually dropping the debt.

America liberated the people of Afghanistan from an oppressive dictator. (Yes, I realize that a... (more »)

Hooray replied...
Jun. 11, 2011 at 5:49 pm :
-claps loudly-

calleysings said...
May 5, 2011 at 8:02 pm:
no offense to anyone, but hating america is kindof pointless. would you rather go to mexico, where people are killed on the streets everyday for a war over DRUGS? would you rather live somewhere where there is no clean water, or where women are forced to cover their faces? even in places like england, there are pickpockets around every corner. even if you don't agree with some things, life is never gonna be a utopia. we have to think about the alternatives.

Ahbreejerae replied...
May 9, 2011 at 11:51 am :
Also though, America is just as bad as other countries. If America is superior to other countries, why do we have people being brutally murdered and then consumed, or tortured. Everywhere you go there is hate and pain. Poverty is also everywhere too, and FYI most women aren't forced to cover their faces with a Hijaab, its by choice:]

calleysings replied...
May 9, 2011 at 6:40 pm :
well, while i do believe that there is some corruption, there are these things going on everywhere. i don't think that "america is superior". i am against a lot of things that the government does. however, i think that to hate america is somewhat narrow minded. the people that run this country are not only chosen by us, but generally have the interests of the country in mind. so we should spend less time blaming america and more time trying to fix the problems ... (more »)

Ahbreejerae replied...
May 10, 2011 at 12:44 am :
I completely agree with you, and by my comment was just saying that I don't agree with a lot of the comments on here. It came across to myself that many were making America to be this "amazing and superior" place, when in reality we are all equal.

May 1, 2011 at 1:12 am:
As I read this article, I was among the ranks of those who "respectfully disagreed". That was until I read the authors comments. How dare you compare the actions of our government to that of a terrorists? This accusation is patronizing and arrogant, and incredibly disrespectful to the real victims of terrorism. The Oklahoma bombing, 1995 Japanese sarin attack, the Munich massacre, 9/11, these are real examples of terrorism. A group of extreemists in various social, religious, and government... (more »)

swcricket98 replied...
Jun. 26, 2011 at 1:24 am :
I seriously want to bow down to you right now. Well said.