How Many Of You Hate America?

The common view of things is often different from the reality. They can be twisted, beautiful images that shield us from the truth. Sometimes people should think of it not as a shield, but as a blindfold. Because a world superpower is taking steps too far. By consuming more fossil fuels than is necessary, by standing still and making no military progression when it was needed, and by waging war on a country and attacking soldier and civilians over a mere dispute for oil. This “great” country, is America.

Many people look to America and sigh with envy at “the American Dream” . However, that dream cannot last long, while America is guzzling up precious resources left on a rapidly crowding planet. These figures speak for themselves about the evident greed of America:

Coal > Production
531,822,000 ton

Coal consumption
1,060,000,000

Commercial energy use
8,148.38

Electric power consumption > kWh
3,920,613,000,000 kWh

Electricity > Consumption
3,892,000,000,000 kWh

Gasoline prices
0.77

Geothermal power use
5,640

Natural gas > Consumption
652,900,000,000 cu m

Natural Gasoline > Production
12,275,000 ton

Nuclear electricity generation
780.1 terawatt-hours

Nuclear energy consumption
821.1 terawatt-hours

Nuclear reactors operable
104

Oil > Consumption
20,680,000 bbl/day

Oil > Exports
1,165,000 bbl/day

Oil > Production
8,457,000 bbl/day

Oil imports > Net
10,400,000 barrels per day

Oil reserves
22,450,000,000 barrels

Usage per person
8.35 TOE per person

Wall plugs > Voltage
110 V

Wind energy installation
6,740 MW

These crimes are forgivable, as other nations are guilty of many similar crimes, such as Brazilians chopping down the Amazon. But global warming is not the most important aspect that we can hold against America. America has extorted countries beyond the point of recovery. Equador, for example, was reduced to a poor scrabbling wreck once America dealt out loans to them. Now Equador only has 5% of its national budget to spend on public services, whilst the rest of the money goes into paying off foreign aid, almost all of which goes to America. Is this right? Is it fair that Americans can bully nations? Furthermore. America threatens, assasinates, and then goes to war with the presidents of countries who refused to run their countries as they like. The war with Iraq is a simple example. America wanted oil. Iran refused to give for no good reason. Why should we just let them do this to us? Us as a world?
Oh yes, because they have guns!

The U.S.A government is a trigger-happy collection of murderous power figures, They do so much to the world, and yet they have nuclear arms and their military to point at other nations, and say “give me your money!” They succeeded for so long due to pure fear, but now other countries have the chance to strike back. America doesn't have all the power anymore. A single grain of rice can tip a scale. Somehow, America has set in a system which everybody likes. A system where people don't think. Where they impulsively buy items that will break very soon. In America, only 10% of items bought for a house are kept for more than a month, and only 5% of those remain for 6 months. America designs products to be made so they break as soon as possible, but will still leave the client with faith in the product, enough so to buy themselves more.

But who benefits from this system?

The aristocrats do. Right up in their trees, lording over us. There are bankers who awarded themselves millions of dollars in bonuses whilst creating a recession that would cripple thousands of struggling individuals around the world. This doesn't cause stress for people living on government benefits, but for the people who are just above the poverty line. America makes those people struggle and work every day. It does so by enforcing a system where the elite (namely money-posessing) people take hold. Can nothing be done to create a fair and happy world?

Well, there is something you can do. You can be fair. You can be smart, and you can think before reaching for your credit card while watching an auction channel. You can PAUSE and WAIT before buying that “wonderful new shave”. We have to know our limitations, and stretch them. Whoever is reading this, YOU are the workforce. You are the people economically enslaved. There is hope. You can work together towards goals such as Project Venus, Save The Forests, Oil Conservation, and Fairtrade. These small lifestyle changes will help you sleep at night. How can we sleep after reading this, knowing that we are only here through the turmoil and suffering of potentially hundreds of other men, women and children.

When a child reaches to the future, who will have the heart to say, “we've used it up, son.”

Jar Jar Binks said...
Dec. 5, 2011 at 9:27 am:
America on its worst day is better than any other country on its best day. Nough said

Logicoverall replied...
May 29, 2012 at 11:05 pm :
...Prove that...
What about countries like Sweden and Norway? They are considerably better then the U.S. on any of their days. The best or the worst.

mudnainah replied...
Jun. 11, 2012 at 1:50 pm :
Hmmm, America is better than the world? 

*beautiful*spirit*This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 2, 2011 at 10:09 am:
Okay, first of all your perception of Americans is so trite and overrated. We are not so trigger happy and pro-war as you might portray us---stereotypes like that feed other people's ignorance. Second of all, the United States did not go to war solely over an oil dispute. We went to war, to free people overseas.  And how is saying that you hate a country supposed to inspire change and progress? It is so easy to shine the light somewhere else so no one has to see your own flaws. I will admit... (more »)

loveandpeace said...
America is one of the greatest countires in the world-- you should all be thanking your stars that you're free to speak, and to educate yourselves the way you want to. Look at what's happening now in Syria: how many has Assad killed already? 700 or are we up to thousands? All because he wants to be rich and important. So for all of you who think that Americans are greedy and selfish, don't waste your time trying to make America less greedy, why don't you start with the rest of the world?

musicalmisanthropist replied...
Nov. 10, 2011 at 3:25 pm :
my opinion: it's not america, it's people

ImperfectlyBeautiful said...
Nov. 10, 2011 at 8:34 am:

In all honesty, I'm not patriotic either. At all. I loathe this country. It's hypocritical, our goverment is corrupt, our people stay fat and ignorant, corporate buisness secretly use slave labor, we pollute the enviornment, we discriminate against other races, we are homophobic, we promote celebrities like their gods, we promote plastic surgery and botox, we are superficial and selfish. We hog all the world resources. We don't help ourselves or other peoples. Our history is awful and so our ... (more »)

swcricket98 replied...
Dec. 10, 2011 at 7:55 pm :
Why don't you leave then?

abnormal replied...
Dec. 10, 2011 at 8:09 pm :
Ok, so I can sit here and tell you all the bad things about a certain country and leave out all the wonderful things that happen, just like you did.  Your the kind of people that create the terrible side of this country by generalizing everyone or... sterotyping.  Yeah, don't go pointing fingers at anyone until you look in the mirror.

Clopsey replied...
Dec. 17, 2011 at 5:32 pm :
Among the many things to loathe about this country is it's willingness to let you leave. If it makes you that unhappy, there are plenty of other countries. I'm sure you could find one that's entirely corruption-free, socioeconomically equal, celebrity-less, and perfectly accepting of the LGBTQ community (see: Iran, they're great with women's rights too). And MAYBE if you look hard enough you could find a country that donates more to other nations than the US (although statistics/facts may deviou... (more »)

Clopsey replied...
Dec. 17, 2011 at 5:38 pm :
But watch out, because the US government is liable to snipe you if you speak out against it. China might be a nice place to start. Their government is very open-minded environmentally aware. And you won't find any of that pesky secret slave labor there, because no corporations means no oppression or inequality. And as for hypocrisy, are you criticizing people for being fat and body-oriented at the same time? But I will give you ignorance. I see a lot of that.

countrygirl28This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jan. 23, 2012 at 11:08 pm :
If you loathe our country so much, why are you still here? Americans are proud of their country and thankful for our freedoms. If you haven't noticed, not everyone promotes botox and changing outward appearence. Not everyone agrees with discrimination. You are judging others when you don't even know them. This is downright arrogant. America is a country proud of our history, proud of our military, proud of our rights and freedoms, and proud of our people. And you're sitting here telling the worl... (more »)

Grace E. replied...
Jan. 27, 2012 at 7:57 pm :
Clopsey... the United States is one of the few places in the world in which you will not be killed for your postings. In China you would be killed. In Iraq you would be killed. In Iran you would be killed. The U.S. and Great Britain are two of the most free places in the world. About slave labor... the reason Chinese products (toys, clothes, and other sundry items) are so cheap is they have no minimum wage; thus employees are paid next to nothing. Furthermore, China is one of the most oppressed... (more »)

thelogicoflove replied...
Feb. 28, 2012 at 11:00 am :

I don't understand why you use 'fat and ignorant' in the same phrase. Is being fat relative to being illiterate? Are you actually comparing being overweight to being imprudent, homophobic, discriminatory, and shallow?

Anyway, I partially agree with the rest of your post, despite the bigoted comment above. I just don't understand why you are still in America if you think all these awful things about it.

ConstanceContraireThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Mar. 5, 2012 at 11:04 pm :
i think you are missing the point 

Mar. 5, 2012 at 11:09 pm :
Maybe Imperfectly Beautiful cares enough about America to be able to see its flaws but still want to stay and help it ,like I do.

C_B_Mia replied...
Sept. 1, 2012 at 6:58 pm :
Feel free to move to another country, like Saudi Arabia. I'm sure you'll have waaaaaayyy more rights there :) 

Unsent_Letters said...
Nov. 4, 2011 at 10:23 am:
America went to war to free the people over seas from the oppression of Hussein and to fight a war on terror. It wasn't just for oil. We have our own oil reserves. Anyone who says that war was over oil is obviously misguided and demeaning the soldiers who lost their lives fighting for this country. You should be ashamed. I understand the government is extremely corrupt, but that doesn't mean you have to hate everything about America...

musicalmisanthropist replied...
Nov. 10, 2011 at 3:26 pm :
your comment gives me hope for mankind :)

Breece6 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Well, first of all, the nuclear weapons and guns thing is kind of global.  Everybody has guns and nukes, we just don't use them, because everybody knows that if we did, China and Russia and half a dozen other countries would nuke us back.  As for the "disliking of other countries governments", it's kind of hard to like a country that's Russian supported Taliban-a-ship government tortures, stones to death, and rapes its citizens without mercy.

SJoseph said...
Nov. 2, 2011 at 11:20 am:
I think the fact that you can say these things, without being killed by the government, gives a major plus point to America...