How Many Of You Hate America?

The common view of things is often different from the reality. They can be twisted, beautiful images that shield us from the truth. Sometimes people should think of it not as a shield, but as a blindfold. Because a world superpower is taking steps too far. By consuming more fossil fuels than is necessary, by standing still and making no military progression when it was needed, and by waging war on a country and attacking soldier and civilians over a mere dispute for oil. This “great” country, is America.

Many people look to America and sigh with envy at “the American Dream” . However, that dream cannot last long, while America is guzzling up precious resources left on a rapidly crowding planet. These figures speak for themselves about the evident greed of America:

Coal > Production
531,822,000 ton

Coal consumption
1,060,000,000

Commercial energy use
8,148.38

Electric power consumption > kWh
3,920,613,000,000 kWh

Electricity > Consumption
3,892,000,000,000 kWh

Gasoline prices
0.77

Geothermal power use
5,640

Natural gas > Consumption
652,900,000,000 cu m

Natural Gasoline > Production
12,275,000 ton

Nuclear electricity generation
780.1 terawatt-hours

Nuclear energy consumption
821.1 terawatt-hours

Nuclear reactors operable
104

Oil > Consumption
20,680,000 bbl/day

Oil > Exports
1,165,000 bbl/day

Oil > Production
8,457,000 bbl/day

Oil imports > Net
10,400,000 barrels per day

Oil reserves
22,450,000,000 barrels

Usage per person
8.35 TOE per person

Wall plugs > Voltage
110 V

Wind energy installation
6,740 MW

These crimes are forgivable, as other nations are guilty of many similar crimes, such as Brazilians chopping down the Amazon. But global warming is not the most important aspect that we can hold against America. America has extorted countries beyond the point of recovery. Equador, for example, was reduced to a poor scrabbling wreck once America dealt out loans to them. Now Equador only has 5% of its national budget to spend on public services, whilst the rest of the money goes into paying off foreign aid, almost all of which goes to America. Is this right? Is it fair that Americans can bully nations? Furthermore. America threatens, assasinates, and then goes to war with the presidents of countries who refused to run their countries as they like. The war with Iraq is a simple example. America wanted oil. Iran refused to give for no good reason. Why should we just let them do this to us? Us as a world?
Oh yes, because they have guns!

The U.S.A government is a trigger-happy collection of murderous power figures, They do so much to the world, and yet they have nuclear arms and their military to point at other nations, and say “give me your money!” They succeeded for so long due to pure fear, but now other countries have the chance to strike back. America doesn't have all the power anymore. A single grain of rice can tip a scale. Somehow, America has set in a system which everybody likes. A system where people don't think. Where they impulsively buy items that will break very soon. In America, only 10% of items bought for a house are kept for more than a month, and only 5% of those remain for 6 months. America designs products to be made so they break as soon as possible, but will still leave the client with faith in the product, enough so to buy themselves more.

But who benefits from this system?

The aristocrats do. Right up in their trees, lording over us. There are bankers who awarded themselves millions of dollars in bonuses whilst creating a recession that would cripple thousands of struggling individuals around the world. This doesn't cause stress for people living on government benefits, but for the people who are just above the poverty line. America makes those people struggle and work every day. It does so by enforcing a system where the elite (namely money-posessing) people take hold. Can nothing be done to create a fair and happy world?

Well, there is something you can do. You can be fair. You can be smart, and you can think before reaching for your credit card while watching an auction channel. You can PAUSE and WAIT before buying that “wonderful new shave”. We have to know our limitations, and stretch them. Whoever is reading this, YOU are the workforce. You are the people economically enslaved. There is hope. You can work together towards goals such as Project Venus, Save The Forests, Oil Conservation, and Fairtrade. These small lifestyle changes will help you sleep at night. How can we sleep after reading this, knowing that we are only here through the turmoil and suffering of potentially hundreds of other men, women and children.

When a child reaches to the future, who will have the heart to say, “we've used it up, son.”

simplyfeel said...
Mar. 12, 2012 at 3:19 pm:
I do agree that we use an insane amount of energy sources. I also do agree that politicians are exceptionally greedy in this nation. However, to say America is solely a bully is wrong. We do try to help people. We almost always end up doing it the wrong way though. We end up making them hate us. For example, Iraq and Afghanistan. America originally invaded those countries for possibly oil reasons and suspicions of terrorist organizations living there. Eventually, it turned into trying to grant m... (more »)

simplyfeel said...
Mar. 12, 2012 at 3:17 pm:
I do agree that we use an insane amount of energy sources. I also do agree that politicans are exceptionally greedy in this nation. However, to say America is soley a bully is wrong. We do try to help people. We almost always end up doing it the wrong way though. We end up making them hate us. For example, Iraq and Afghanistan. America originally invaded those countries for possibly oil reasons and suspicions of terrorist organizations living there. Eventually, it turned into trying to grant mor... (more »)

TheLiberalist said...
Mar. 3, 2012 at 1:11 pm:
Please write more! This is exactly correct! I wouldn't even go as far to say it's an OPINION article, which many might, because everything is completely correct. America needs to remember what it truely means to be "by the people for the people"

wi234 said...
Feb. 24, 2012 at 11:31 pm:

great article! 

DivingForRoses said...
Feb. 19, 2012 at 7:11 pm:
Unlike many of the other readers of your article, I found it informative and strong. Your status as a foreigner to America does not change the fact that a few key members of the government are guilty of greed and stepping on developing countries in order to acheive their own selfish means. In our brief history, the U.S. has not only affected Ecuador, but also Guam (1945- infested the island with snakes, resulting in loss of several species of exotic bird), Iran (1954- restored the shah to power ... (more »)

ConstanceContraireThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Mar. 5, 2012 at 11:22 pm :
Just look at how America has treated the Native Americans.

RosySea said...
Feb. 5, 2012 at 2:39 pm:
While I agree that America has done quite a few awful things,it is unfair to blame and hate an entire country for things the common citizens don't necessarily have a say in. Just because SOME Americans are greedy and selfish doesn't mean all of us are. Everyone needs to take a look at the big picture before deciding an entire country is foul. Also, I just have to say that hating us won't change a thing. Everyone all over the world hates everyone else plenty, and our generation doesn't need to a... (more »)

mudnainah replied...
Jun. 11, 2012 at 1:46 pm :
This reminds me, I believe this is how Muslims feel when they are being criticized and called terrorists. You are talking about a mere Country and look how people have labeled aq whole religion. Smh!! 

silentpeacock said...
i dont agree with what is going on right now, but as an american i feel not only insulted but i really hope you dont blame me or any other random american for these things. i agree were arrogant. not me, my country. but the things we used to stand for and kinda still do are something worth being proud of. stuff like religious freedom and non-monarchy. i am proud of USA dispite its flaws. and p.s. why arent you griping about china? doesnt everything say 'made in china'?

countrygirl28This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
While I respect your opinion, to really know what the US is like, you have to experience it first-hand. Our country does not go around shooting others for no reason. All of the government's military associations have specific tactics, whether we are aware of them or not. Many work hard to keep America the Beautiful just that. America was raised by our Founding Fathers, and London was raised differently. So, obvisously, there will be disagreement over what's right and what's wrong. But most impor... (more »)

Mtizzle said...
im sorry but... why is america horrible again that it uses earths resources without giving it out. wow that sounds so much like every other country. america is in a place that is not as rich in oil and things of that sort so we have to buy it from other sto keep up with the times. but america gives the most freedom to its people if people really thought america was horrible and such why would so many people immigrat here to have better life just becuse you hate america doesnt mean your right in... (more »)

mudnainah replied...
Jun. 11, 2012 at 1:49 pm :
It certainly is beautiful and I love it! But behind that Beauty lays an ugly lie :( ... 

YoungAndAware said...
I understand your resentment towards American apathy regarding earthly resources, but the apathetic people which constitute the majority of American society should not be condemned for their arrogance but rather pitied, though humiliation would only antagonize arrogance; but I'm sure you know that people adopting concepts from propaganda is not astonishing. What you must understand is that there is a significant difference between the Founding Father's recognition of America and the corporate U... (more »)

andieyup This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
what an ACE closing

Clopsey said...
I can tell you from actually living in the US instead of just seeing on the news all the "evil" things we do, it's actually not that bad.  I'm part of that generation that's going to be paying back the debt and having to deal with expired resources. And I still love my country, even if you assume we must all be evil corporate racists/homophobes/polluters/whatever else. Just like the rest of the world, the majority of us just want to go to work, live our lives, and raise our families. You do... (more »)

countrygirl28This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jan. 23, 2012 at 11:00 pm :
This is very true. Hating a whole country is just downright arrogant.

DivingForRoses replied...
Feb. 19, 2012 at 7:18 pm :
She clearly stated in her article that her remarks were aimed not at Americans, but at the corrupt members of our government. She was not being hateful in any way, but was criticizing the U.S. government for things we're openly guilty of doing. She never once said that all Americans are evil, nor did she say that our country lacks any form of qualities that redeem us. Her article was meant to stimulate change, not incite anger. Please realize that.

Jar Jar Binks said...
Dec. 5, 2011 at 9:27 am:
America on its worst day is better than any other country on its best day. Nough said

Clopsey replied...
Dec. 17, 2011 at 5:24 pm :
Amen       

Logicoverall replied...
May 29, 2012 at 11:05 pm :
...Prove that...
What about countries like Sweden and Norway? They are considerably better then the U.S. on any of their days. The best or the worst.