How Many Of You Hate America?

The common view of things is often different from the reality. They can be twisted, beautiful images that shield us from the truth. Sometimes people should think of it not as a shield, but as a blindfold. Because a world superpower is taking steps too far. By consuming more fossil fuels than is necessary, by standing still and making no military progression when it was needed, and by waging war on a country and attacking soldier and civilians over a mere dispute for oil. This “great” country, is America.

Many people look to America and sigh with envy at “the American Dream” . However, that dream cannot last long, while America is guzzling up precious resources left on a rapidly crowding planet. These figures speak for themselves about the evident greed of America:

Coal > Production
531,822,000 ton

Coal consumption
1,060,000,000

Commercial energy use
8,148.38

Electric power consumption > kWh
3,920,613,000,000 kWh

Electricity > Consumption
3,892,000,000,000 kWh

Gasoline prices
0.77

Geothermal power use
5,640

Natural gas > Consumption
652,900,000,000 cu m

Natural Gasoline > Production
12,275,000 ton

Nuclear electricity generation
780.1 terawatt-hours

Nuclear energy consumption
821.1 terawatt-hours

Nuclear reactors operable
104

Oil > Consumption
20,680,000 bbl/day

Oil > Exports
1,165,000 bbl/day

Oil > Production
8,457,000 bbl/day

Oil imports > Net
10,400,000 barrels per day

Oil reserves
22,450,000,000 barrels

Usage per person
8.35 TOE per person

Wall plugs > Voltage
110 V

Wind energy installation
6,740 MW

These crimes are forgivable, as other nations are guilty of many similar crimes, such as Brazilians chopping down the Amazon. But global warming is not the most important aspect that we can hold against America. America has extorted countries beyond the point of recovery. Equador, for example, was reduced to a poor scrabbling wreck once America dealt out loans to them. Now Equador only has 5% of its national budget to spend on public services, whilst the rest of the money goes into paying off foreign aid, almost all of which goes to America. Is this right? Is it fair that Americans can bully nations? Furthermore. America threatens, assasinates, and then goes to war with the presidents of countries who refused to run their countries as they like. The war with Iraq is a simple example. America wanted oil. Iran refused to give for no good reason. Why should we just let them do this to us? Us as a world?
Oh yes, because they have guns!

The U.S.A government is a trigger-happy collection of murderous power figures, They do so much to the world, and yet they have nuclear arms and their military to point at other nations, and say “give me your money!” They succeeded for so long due to pure fear, but now other countries have the chance to strike back. America doesn't have all the power anymore. A single grain of rice can tip a scale. Somehow, America has set in a system which everybody likes. A system where people don't think. Where they impulsively buy items that will break very soon. In America, only 10% of items bought for a house are kept for more than a month, and only 5% of those remain for 6 months. America designs products to be made so they break as soon as possible, but will still leave the client with faith in the product, enough so to buy themselves more.

But who benefits from this system?

The aristocrats do. Right up in their trees, lording over us. There are bankers who awarded themselves millions of dollars in bonuses whilst creating a recession that would cripple thousands of struggling individuals around the world. This doesn't cause stress for people living on government benefits, but for the people who are just above the poverty line. America makes those people struggle and work every day. It does so by enforcing a system where the elite (namely money-posessing) people take hold. Can nothing be done to create a fair and happy world?

Well, there is something you can do. You can be fair. You can be smart, and you can think before reaching for your credit card while watching an auction channel. You can PAUSE and WAIT before buying that “wonderful new shave”. We have to know our limitations, and stretch them. Whoever is reading this, YOU are the workforce. You are the people economically enslaved. There is hope. You can work together towards goals such as Project Venus, Save The Forests, Oil Conservation, and Fairtrade. These small lifestyle changes will help you sleep at night. How can we sleep after reading this, knowing that we are only here through the turmoil and suffering of potentially hundreds of other men, women and children.

When a child reaches to the future, who will have the heart to say, “we've used it up, son.”

C_B_Mia said...
What an unfair attack! Where are your sources? This is an extreme view. America has its flaws, but is an amazing place to live. There is no need to hate an entire people. America stands for amazing things, like freedom, liberty, equality... 

AlmostPublished replied...
Dec. 13, 2012 at 10:40 am :
Equality? They nuclear threatened the last nation that tried TRUE equality; Communism. It'snot unfair at all. It may be an amazing place to live and text on your iphone's but the american people are truly ignorant and the governments stupid rich while it posseses to position of the rest of the worlds affairs.

DuctTapedDuck replied...
Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:20 pm :
  Ermm... I'm not sure I really understand your argument, AlmostPublished. First you say that Communism is a nation, and then you say that America isn't unfair at all, and then you go on to call all Americans stupid. While I do have a few choice words for you running through my head, I'll try to counter your arguments as logically and as civily? as possible.  First of all, Communism isn't a nation, it's a philosophy that was developed by Carl Mar and wa... (more »)

Bookemist said...
While I agree with many of the points in this article, being from the U.K. doesn't exactly give a person the moral highground on these issues. It's not about hating America. I'm American, and I love my country (I like the U.K. too). It's about hating the direction society is taking, America included.

The_Math_Guy said...
The problem with saving electricity and reducing CO2 emissions is that they're short term. No matter how little water someone uses, the resources will inevitably run out unless a replacement is found or something else is found. 

joecool101This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 7, 2012 at 7:05 am:
Although I must agree with you that the United States is consuming too much of the earth's natural resources, it is necessary to note the the U.S. ranks top three in renewable energy inverstment (over 50 billion dollars).

joecool101This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jul. 7, 2012 at 7:09 am :
I'm sorry: the U.S. is ranked #1 in renewable energy investment. Although America has its issues, it's dealing faster and better than the whole world with them.

revolution567 said...
Jun. 19, 2012 at 12:43 pm:
i believe in most of the content in this article but i would reword the phrase "Hate America". you are calling into question certain aspects of the American government/elite, not a whole nation of people. 

Aug. 18, 2012 at 7:22 am :
In my opinion, even though the content may be factually true, other factors are not being taken into account in this article. For instance, the fact that the United States is at the top of renewable energy investement. And, according to the EPA, 82 million tons composted or recycled for recovery rate of 33.8 percent 29 million tons of MSW combusted for energy recovery 74 percent of office-type paper recovered 60 percent of yard trimmings recovered 34.5 percent of metals recy... (more »)

SingingismylifeSYV said...
Jun. 18, 2012 at 7:12 pm:
First of all, great article! But I don't agree with you along the lines of saying all the resources dimishing is the Americans fault. I am American and I have pride in being one. If America was as deadly or greedy as you say why does everyone want to come HERE? These things (like oil prices, war, and more) are NOT the individual Americans faults! Government makes those decisions, good or bad. Just like in your homeland; the UK. I hope you consider that there are always two sides to an opinion. :)

SingingismylifeSYV replied...
Jun. 18, 2012 at 7:13 pm :
"Hate" is a strong word! ;)

mudnainah said...
Jun. 11, 2012 at 2:04 pm:
True. 

mudnainah said...
Jun. 11, 2012 at 2:02 pm:
How would you know that if you haven't experianced it first-hand or seen it with your two naked eyes? 

dusty said...
May 3, 2012 at 1:57 pm:
U.K. is even worse.

FreeBeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
May 27, 2012 at 1:34 pm :

America has had their downs. But we have still had our up as well.

America is an amazing place, and we are our OWN country, of a wide varity of people. So basically, your kind of critsizing the whole world.

I don't agree. America rocks! :)(:

xfireflightx said...
Mar. 27, 2012 at 10:58 am:

Your right. We're not perfect.

People- I know a lot- are greedy. We end up doing wrong things. And our 'American Dream' isn't exactly black and white. But then again, nothing is.

But I don't think it's fair to judge all of us. I'm American, first generation from a third-world country.

I can't honestly judge you. I can't insult you back. I don't think I can change your mind. But remember, it's not fair to judge a freck'n 1 BILLION POPULATION by their crappy goverment &am... (more »)

Jul. 5, 2012 at 10:59 am :
300 million not 1 billion population in U.S.A

Don't hate said...
Mar. 25, 2012 at 9:01 pm:

To begin with, America is not perfect. It is completely childish to point out all of America’s flaws and none of her beauties. This type of strategy suggests that one is trying to escape criticism themselves. I will admit that SOME people spend too much or pollute etc. Furthermore, America is a free country with good people in it, just like everywhere else. In the past few years alone, entire debates have been brought up about issues not only like financial/health care but even about an... (more »)

KelliB replied...
May 9, 2012 at 12:09 pm :
This does make a lot of sense to the above author

Indilove replied...
May 10, 2012 at 7:58 am :

To 'Don't Hate':

Very nicly said, you obviously know what it is ur trying to say. I also picked up up on several flaws in this essay but you already had them pinpointed. You're a good critic.

To the author:

I see what it is that you're trying to get across to people and I'm not enraged by what you had to say. My only advice is that you should re read this yourself and perhaps create a better one? Many could be enlightened by what you have to say if you get it across corre... (more »)