How Many Of You Hate America?

The common view of things is often different from the reality. They can be twisted, beautiful images that shield us from the truth. Sometimes people should think of it not as a shield, but as a blindfold. Because a world superpower is taking steps too far. By consuming more fossil fuels than is necessary, by standing still and making no military progression when it was needed, and by waging war on a country and attacking soldier and civilians over a mere dispute for oil. This “great” country, is America.

Many people look to America and sigh with envy at “the American Dream” . However, that dream cannot last long, while America is guzzling up precious resources left on a rapidly crowding planet. These figures speak for themselves about the evident greed of America:

Coal > Production
531,822,000 ton

Coal consumption
1,060,000,000

Commercial energy use
8,148.38

Electric power consumption > kWh
3,920,613,000,000 kWh

Electricity > Consumption
3,892,000,000,000 kWh

Gasoline prices
0.77

Geothermal power use
5,640

Natural gas > Consumption
652,900,000,000 cu m

Natural Gasoline > Production
12,275,000 ton

Nuclear electricity generation
780.1 terawatt-hours

Nuclear energy consumption
821.1 terawatt-hours

Nuclear reactors operable
104

Oil > Consumption
20,680,000 bbl/day

Oil > Exports
1,165,000 bbl/day

Oil > Production
8,457,000 bbl/day

Oil imports > Net
10,400,000 barrels per day

Oil reserves
22,450,000,000 barrels

Usage per person
8.35 TOE per person

Wall plugs > Voltage
110 V

Wind energy installation
6,740 MW

These crimes are forgivable, as other nations are guilty of many similar crimes, such as Brazilians chopping down the Amazon. But global warming is not the most important aspect that we can hold against America. America has extorted countries beyond the point of recovery. Equador, for example, was reduced to a poor scrabbling wreck once America dealt out loans to them. Now Equador only has 5% of its national budget to spend on public services, whilst the rest of the money goes into paying off foreign aid, almost all of which goes to America. Is this right? Is it fair that Americans can bully nations? Furthermore. America threatens, assasinates, and then goes to war with the presidents of countries who refused to run their countries as they like. The war with Iraq is a simple example. America wanted oil. Iran refused to give for no good reason. Why should we just let them do this to us? Us as a world?
Oh yes, because they have guns!

The U.S.A government is a trigger-happy collection of murderous power figures, They do so much to the world, and yet they have nuclear arms and their military to point at other nations, and say “give me your money!” They succeeded for so long due to pure fear, but now other countries have the chance to strike back. America doesn't have all the power anymore. A single grain of rice can tip a scale. Somehow, America has set in a system which everybody likes. A system where people don't think. Where they impulsively buy items that will break very soon. In America, only 10% of items bought for a house are kept for more than a month, and only 5% of those remain for 6 months. America designs products to be made so they break as soon as possible, but will still leave the client with faith in the product, enough so to buy themselves more.

But who benefits from this system?

The aristocrats do. Right up in their trees, lording over us. There are bankers who awarded themselves millions of dollars in bonuses whilst creating a recession that would cripple thousands of struggling individuals around the world. This doesn't cause stress for people living on government benefits, but for the people who are just above the poverty line. America makes those people struggle and work every day. It does so by enforcing a system where the elite (namely money-posessing) people take hold. Can nothing be done to create a fair and happy world?

Well, there is something you can do. You can be fair. You can be smart, and you can think before reaching for your credit card while watching an auction channel. You can PAUSE and WAIT before buying that “wonderful new shave”. We have to know our limitations, and stretch them. Whoever is reading this, YOU are the workforce. You are the people economically enslaved. There is hope. You can work together towards goals such as Project Venus, Save The Forests, Oil Conservation, and Fairtrade. These small lifestyle changes will help you sleep at night. How can we sleep after reading this, knowing that we are only here through the turmoil and suffering of potentially hundreds of other men, women and children.

When a child reaches to the future, who will have the heart to say, “we've used it up, son.”

SimranRazdan said...
May 11, 2013 at 8:27 am:
They have plundered countries for greed, killed civilians (of other countries) in the name of democracy and have bullied at every given opportunity. If this is world's superpower, then I am glad I'm not a part of the coldest nation ever known to mankind.

Vagialena said...
May 10, 2013 at 6:23 am:
I believe it is easy to just blame America for the abjection of our world... The obvious victim, because America is everywhere.... Shouln't you, however, take a time to reconsider and wonder if England for example, could do something? Isn't it proper, first to blame ourselves and then the others? Perhaps if every nation stopped dropping accusations, we'd take this world to a different level...

John432 said...
Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:53 am:
It's not right to say the country as a whole is wrong. It's the people in it; what they're doing.

CiaraMarie replied...
Nov. 5, 2013 at 7:14 pm :
I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you. The people here in America are not at fault, at least not all of them. Our government does what it wants, when it wants to. The people have no say so anymore. The officials of this once great country try to give people the illusion that the government does what the people say, but they don't. They are running our country into the ground and making us look like fools to other countries. I still have hope for this country, but it will be dest... (more »)

Gav13 said...
America is a great country and we may have some problems but that doesn't mean you should hate America.

MiniterrorThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jul. 12, 2013 at 12:58 pm :
Thank you! Thank you very much. I understand we have made mistakes, but if we suddenly decided to stop helping other countries and quit using our military I can't imagine what might happen.

Vikki05 said...
Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:23 pm:
You tell'em

Alexander_The_Great said...
Mar. 14, 2013 at 1:03 am:
You know here in America we are trying to fix these problems. I totally agree with the global warming and all by the way. The thing is.... Most schools in America are trying to teach us teens about the future and how to make it better. Including stopping the problems that are distroying our homes. I think blaming all americans for the problems in the world is wrong. Yes some are at fault, but not me! Not my family! The thing is a lot of americans have a hard time believing these issues. How can ... (more »)

Jarred74 said...
Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:10 am:
America is the country all other countries turn to in times of need. We give billions in foreign aid to many countries even ones that hate us. Their governments waste the money given to them because they are corrupt. The United States of America is by far the best country on this broken world and you're a fool if you don't see it. If you were in one of many other countries you would not be alive right now because in most countries what you just did is treason which the penalty is death. In Amer... (more »)

Darkstorm13 said...
Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:37 am:
You know, we are a huge country so it shouldn't be a surprise thatwe use up so many resources. I agree we should use renewable resources in place of fossil fuels, but placing all the blame on America won't do anything. And how can you blame us for loaning money to a country? they CHOSE to accept the loan and it is their fault they are having trouble paying off. I am not trying to be negative, im just saying.

SimranRazdan replied...
May 11, 2013 at 8:29 am :
You are a freakishly huge country with a negligible population , genius.

CDHLegend said...
Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:39 pm:
Uk helped us in the war too

CDHLegend said...
Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:38 pm:
I disagree, I am American and I believe we (were) a bit trigger happy and power hungry, but the unecessarry  war is over, and America is a great country

SimranRazdan replied...
May 11, 2013 at 8:34 am :
Of course everything is so hunky-dory now, with problems (and people) kicked out of the way. And obviously it's not your problem that the unnecessary war plundered hundreds of families because hey! You wanna reach the top. One question. How does it feel being "great" after all you guys have done? Is it lonely, cold , being at the top of the world? Cause you deserve it.

ChickenLegHouseThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:30 pm :
CDHLegend, I agree with you on the most part, we have been great and I belive we can be again, but at the moment we are doing a little rough. Simran, you seem very angry, and that is of course, understandable. But take a second and look around, is the average American you see curupted and power hungry? By the looks of what I see people are just trying to make it by right now. And on the subject of thoughs 'unnecesary wars' I'm not going to get into the reasons behind them and all t... (more »)

insovietrussia said...
Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:39 am:
You are just mad because of our energy consumption, also whos millitary has done the most around the world and the most for the UN? Also what is your participation in the war in Afghanistan compared to ours? who killed Osama Bin Laden, the leader of Alqueda? Thats right us, so all of you UK people can shove it.

SimranRazdan replied...
May 11, 2013 at 8:41 am :
Don't even go to the UN. That organization has lost it's meaning , acting like a lapdog to the country. It did nothing when America invaded Iraq because the superpower and biggest contributor cannot be opposed. Even the Guantanamo problem has not been solved because America created it and they have big guns. If this is called steps towards world democracy and global peace, then I have no idea who you're kidding calling the organization or the country democratic when both believe wholeheartedly i... (more »)

radioshaq77 said...
I typically only post positive comments, but this is insanely illogical Ecuador is crippled, because we loaned them money? Ecaudor is being bullied because we're asking our money back? Should we let them keep it. And as to the energy usage, Brazil has implimented excellent laws to preserve the rain forest while keeping up with the needs of humanity. USA uses this much energy because we require it. We're a huge country. You too, are a part of the problem. I don't see where guns ... (more »)

radioshaq77 replied...
Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:35 pm :
Sorry for the grammar and typos.

natcac This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 2, 2013 at 1:57 am:
I find it interesting that America is being blamed for global warming when many countries around the world have a higher population than the U.S. and cause worse pollution.  Also, I would like to point out that Manchester, England was the leading industrial center during the industrial revolution and is one of the largest service-based countries today.  England is a leading industrial country, therefore couldn't Americans throw some of the blame for global warming at England? ... (more »)