How Many Of You Hate America? | Teen Ink

How Many Of You Hate America?

By Eilina Sealtman SILVER, London, Other
Eilina Sealtman SILVER, London, Other

The common view of things is often different from the reality. They can be twisted, beautiful images that shield us from the truth. Sometimes people should think of it not as a shield, but as a blindfold. Because a world superpower is taking steps too far. By consuming more fossil fuels than is necessary, by standing still and making no military progression when it was needed, and by waging war on a country and attacking soldier and civilians over a mere dispute for oil. This “great” country, is America.

Many people look to America and sigh with envy at “the American Dream” . However, that dream cannot last long, while America is guzzling up precious resources left on a rapidly crowding planet. These figures speak for themselves about the evident greed of America:

Coal > Production
531,822,000 ton

Coal consumption
1,060,000,000

Commercial energy use
8,148.38

Electric power consumption > kWh
3,920,613,000,000 kWh

Electricity > Consumption
3,892,000,000,000 kWh

Gasoline prices
0.77

Geothermal power use
5,640

Natural gas > Consumption
652,900,000,000 cu m

Natural Gasoline > Production
12,275,000 ton

Nuclear electricity generation
780.1 terawatt-hours

Nuclear energy consumption
821.1 terawatt-hours

Nuclear reactors operable
104

Oil > Consumption
20,680,000 bbl/day

Oil > Exports
1,165,000 bbl/day

Oil > Production
8,457,000 bbl/day

Oil imports > Net
10,400,000 barrels per day

Oil reserves
22,450,000,000 barrels

Usage per person
8.35 TOE per person

Wall plugs > Voltage
110 V

Wind energy installation
6,740 MW

These crimes are forgivable, as other nations are guilty of many similar crimes, such as Brazilians chopping down the Amazon. But global warming is not the most important aspect that we can hold against America. America has extorted countries beyond the point of recovery. Equador, for example, was reduced to a poor scrabbling wreck once America dealt out loans to them. Now Equador only has 5% of its national budget to spend on public services, whilst the rest of the money goes into paying off foreign aid, almost all of which goes to America. Is this right? Is it fair that Americans can bully nations? Furthermore. America threatens, assasinates, and then goes to war with the presidents of countries who refused to run their countries as they like. The war with Iraq is a simple example. America wanted oil. Iran refused to give for no good reason. Why should we just let them do this to us? Us as a world?
Oh yes, because they have guns!

The U.S.A government is a trigger-happy collection of murderous power figures, They do so much to the world, and yet they have nuclear arms and their military to point at other nations, and say “give me your money!” They succeeded for so long due to pure fear, but now other countries have the chance to strike back. America doesn't have all the power anymore. A single grain of rice can tip a scale. Somehow, America has set in a system which everybody likes. A system where people don't think. Where they impulsively buy items that will break very soon. In America, only 10% of items bought for a house are kept for more than a month, and only 5% of those remain for 6 months. America designs products to be made so they break as soon as possible, but will still leave the client with faith in the product, enough so to buy themselves more.

But who benefits from this system?

The aristocrats do. Right up in their trees, lording over us. There are bankers who awarded themselves millions of dollars in bonuses whilst creating a recession that would cripple thousands of struggling individuals around the world. This doesn't cause stress for people living on government benefits, but for the people who are just above the poverty line. America makes those people struggle and work every day. It does so by enforcing a system where the elite (namely money-posessing) people take hold. Can nothing be done to create a fair and happy world?

Well, there is something you can do. You can be fair. You can be smart, and you can think before reaching for your credit card while watching an auction channel. You can PAUSE and WAIT before buying that “wonderful new shave”. We have to know our limitations, and stretch them. Whoever is reading this, YOU are the workforce. You are the people economically enslaved. There is hope. You can work together towards goals such as Project Venus, Save The Forests, Oil Conservation, and Fairtrade. These small lifestyle changes will help you sleep at night. How can we sleep after reading this, knowing that we are only here through the turmoil and suffering of potentially hundreds of other men, women and children.

When a child reaches to the future, who will have the heart to say, “we've used it up, son.”

Many of you will be enraged by this article. I mean no offence to any human being, merely a minority's actions. And if you can condemn a terrorist group, can you condemn a group of terrorist that don't use guns and use the American people to shield themselves?

Locke9 BRONZE said...
on Sep. 17 2017 at 11:29 am
Locke9 BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
You perfectly articulated how I feel about the issue, it is good to know that there are people who can see things as they are.

JacobBaker GOLD, Sacramento, California

If your good at something,never do it for free --- The Joker

check you're self before you wreck you're self dude

JacobBaker GOLD, Sacramento, California

amen to that

Your_Apathetic_Basketcase ELITE, Orlando, Florida

"Just remember, if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off."
-Derrolyn Anderson

"Don't trust everything you see, even salt looks like sugar."

"The sea speaks more honestly... To those willing to drown." -J.D. Hard

And what does the world get in return? Food, medicine, protection, financial support. Where would the UK be without us? Oh yeah, that's right speaking German. Do you recall World War II? Think before you write, the United States gives more to the world than any other country ever has. Anytime there is any type of disaster, who is the first country to step up and send aid, even to those who hate us. That's right. The United States of America.

Spambi SILVER said...
on Mar. 14 2017 at 11:58 am
Spambi SILVER, Alsea, Oregon

Never change for someone else, change for yourself.

Trump will crush america like his own dreams..

FutbolWriter14 BRONZE, Owingsville, Kentucky
Yes yes yes!!

@Chankzu Amen! I grew up in a country in Africa and now realize how amazing America is, everyone should thank their lucky stars instead of complaining.

I gotta agree

Sparaxis GOLD said...
on Nov. 16 2016 at 8:36 am
Sparaxis GOLD, Saint Marys, Georgia

"If you keep on picking on me, I'll mess up again. This time, on PURPOSE."

The worst part is how Americans use age-old issues to distract themselves from real issues. Like instead of worrying about the now messed-up environment, they bring racism back. That should have ended decades ago.

DankMime said...
on Nov. 9 2016 at 10:39 am
DankMime,
yo its ya boi skinny p3n1s

DankMime said...
on Nov. 9 2016 at 10:39 am
DankMime,
yo its ya boi skinny t3sticle

on Nov. 9 2016 at 10:38 am
DankZooboomafoo,
COMIN TO SAVE THE MOTHE FOCKIN DAY NOW

on Nov. 9 2016 at 10:37 am
DankZooboomafoo,
AMERICA FOCK YEAH

thebookwrmgirl BRONZE, Major, Illinois
Are you saying you hate America?

Chankzu said...
on Jul. 7 2016 at 12:16 am
@fallenskyy "I cannot be a patriot just because I'm black and as you know, America does not care about black people" America. Does. Not. Care. About. Black People. How much ignorance this comment contains is astounding. You do realize that we fought a war, which cost 600k lives just on the principle that all men are created equal. While America surely has had a dark history in terms of slavery, the US fights for what it stands for: Freedom and Liberty.Our country faced the biggest risk of collapsing over that principle, and yet you still believe that in America, Africans are institutionally persecuted. In other countries we are considered liberators, for example after the benghazi attack almost 100k Libyan people mourned the death of Ambassador Chris Stevens. These people do not embrace the terrorist groups like ISIS so that comment is just truly stupid. We are trying( and truly believe) that we can bring the values of democracy and liberty to these countries and fight against those who terrorize the native population. I am an immigrant, and America is the land of opprotunity. Where else in the world can you say what you want, believe what you want, and love what you want than this country. Where else can you strive for economic freedom other than America. Your comment honestly is just leading to the downfall of the US. "Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal." Abraham Lincoln

wolvesandwilderness GOLD, Lakeland, Florida

“Funny how a single word can change everything in your life."
"It is not funny at all. Steel is power. Money is power. But of all the things in all the worlds, words are power.”

Darrow au Andromedus and Nero au Augustus in Red Rising.

Okay, whoa- also just read the caption under the picture- umm... you do realize that any military of any country is made up of that country's people, and by that definition, uses the people to shield itself? What do you think we do here- get kidnapped by Secret Services who use us as riot shields to defend Obama? With the thing about terrorists- yeah, I'll condemn any terrorist group, but have you been to America? Our government has faults, but they're not terrorists. And is it not better that they don't use guns? It's like saying, 'Hey, you know what's worse than a terrorist? A terrorist that doesn't use a gun.' That's illogical, and to be blunt, this article is full of more ignorance than you claim the American people have. You say that this is addressed to the minority, then speak in absolutes: "The U.S.A. government is a trigger-happy collection of murderous power figures." "A system where people don't think." "...the evident greed of America." What did Uncle Sam do to make you so mad?

Wow. Yeah, I'll admit that we're definitely not great when it comes to the whole global change issue, but here's some things to keep in mind: one, we're a lot bigger than most other nations- in fact, the UK is roughly the size of Oregon, and according to NationMaster, the US is #5 in per capita coal consumption, whereas the UK (which is markedly smaller) is #12. So yes, we're hardly bragging over here about how great we are for the environment, but let's not say we're entirely to blame. As for us having guns, well... so does everyone else. Think of it this way: if you are in a neighborhood of questionable people, all of whom own guns, are you likely to sit there defenseless? No. We've already been attacked in recent history; it's common sense that we'd build up an arsenal. I won't deny that voter misinformation (or just straight ignorance) is an issue, but honestly, quit speaking in absolutes. We are not all uneducated sheep over here. Some of us take our time thinking things through, make sure to spend our money frugally. My mom has co-workers in the UK, and when annual meetings are scheduled in the US, they all ship things they buy online here. Why? We don't excessively tax things. Our economic system has its faults, but it's not like America is some super-corrupt world-dominating nation full of ambitious cutthroats and uneducated masses.

on Apr. 20 2016 at 12:31 am
fallenskyy SILVER, Las Vegas, Nevada
6 articles 1 photo 1 comment

"So early in my life, I had learned that if you want something, you had better make some noise." - Malcolm X

America is a hot mess. We're not the greatest country in the world and we never have been. America is ALWAYS seen as a land of opportunity for people coming to seek a good life when in reality America was born from war and was raised with slavery. Our culture is extremely violent so that's why I find it so hypocritical when we condemn terrorist attacks and ISIS when schools here are getting shot up monthly and guns are such a vital part of our culture. All that mess comes from the second amendment which was written during a time of extreme violence and war. America has only had international war on its soil once and that was during the Revolutionary war. Americans are stuck in this mentality that ISIS members are clamoring at our doorstep when in actuality we're not fighting this war here. People fail to realize that WE'RE considered terrorists in other countries. I by default cannot be a patriot just because I'm black and as you know, America does not care about black people so yeah. Fantastic article though, you're a great writer.

jules_esee BRONZE, Virginia Beach, Virginia
This article breaks my heart. Truly my heart weeps at the thought of so much hatred for a country I so ardently adore. How could I possibly hate a country that was produced out of the desire for liberty. I am proud for the men that stand in uniform to protect not only their own citizens but the rights of others. I do not want to throw stones because the United Kingdom is an ally of the United States and therefore despite silly rivalries I respect the UK, but our nation is several times larger than the UK and so of course we would consume more resources. This post is sadly produced out of animosity versus solid facts and in my opinion it makes the article biased. You are a strong, talented writer. Why, I ask, do you write so hatefully, so much as to pick out the flaws of an ally?

on Mar. 11 2016 at 9:23 am
Reality_Checker,
This article is very much incorrect. The statistics that show America's "greediness" are just a part of the whole world spending resources. Britain and China are not any better and are even worse than America. We are trying to switch to green energy at a larger scale than the rest of the world. Global warming isn't all America's fault, China and Britain are big culprits too. And the statement that the U.S is "a trigger happy collection of murderous power figures" is wrong and insulting. It also says that we constantly bully nations, but we help protect weak nations from extremists. America does has its faults, but we fit a whole lot of good for the world. So please, be tolerant of a nations fault because nobody's perfect. Deal with it and move on in life.