How Many Of You Hate America?

The common view of things is often different from the reality. They can be twisted, beautiful images that shield us from the truth. Sometimes people should think of it not as a shield, but as a blindfold. Because a world superpower is taking steps too far. By consuming more fossil fuels than is necessary, by standing still and making no military progression when it was needed, and by waging war on a country and attacking soldier and civilians over a mere dispute for oil. This “great” country, is America.

Many people look to America and sigh with envy at “the American Dream” . However, that dream cannot last long, while America is guzzling up precious resources left on a rapidly crowding planet. These figures speak for themselves about the evident greed of America:

Coal > Production
531,822,000 ton

Coal consumption
1,060,000,000

Commercial energy use
8,148.38

Electric power consumption > kWh
3,920,613,000,000 kWh

Electricity > Consumption
3,892,000,000,000 kWh

Gasoline prices
0.77

Geothermal power use
5,640

Natural gas > Consumption
652,900,000,000 cu m

Natural Gasoline > Production
12,275,000 ton

Nuclear electricity generation
780.1 terawatt-hours

Nuclear energy consumption
821.1 terawatt-hours

Nuclear reactors operable
104

Oil > Consumption
20,680,000 bbl/day

Oil > Exports
1,165,000 bbl/day

Oil > Production
8,457,000 bbl/day

Oil imports > Net
10,400,000 barrels per day

Oil reserves
22,450,000,000 barrels

Usage per person
8.35 TOE per person

Wall plugs > Voltage
110 V

Wind energy installation
6,740 MW

These crimes are forgivable, as other nations are guilty of many similar crimes, such as Brazilians chopping down the Amazon. But global warming is not the most important aspect that we can hold against America. America has extorted countries beyond the point of recovery. Equador, for example, was reduced to a poor scrabbling wreck once America dealt out loans to them. Now Equador only has 5% of its national budget to spend on public services, whilst the rest of the money goes into paying off foreign aid, almost all of which goes to America. Is this right? Is it fair that Americans can bully nations? Furthermore. America threatens, assasinates, and then goes to war with the presidents of countries who refused to run their countries as they like. The war with Iraq is a simple example. America wanted oil. Iran refused to give for no good reason. Why should we just let them do this to us? Us as a world?
Oh yes, because they have guns!

The U.S.A government is a trigger-happy collection of murderous power figures, They do so much to the world, and yet they have nuclear arms and their military to point at other nations, and say “give me your money!” They succeeded for so long due to pure fear, but now other countries have the chance to strike back. America doesn't have all the power anymore. A single grain of rice can tip a scale. Somehow, America has set in a system which everybody likes. A system where people don't think. Where they impulsively buy items that will break very soon. In America, only 10% of items bought for a house are kept for more than a month, and only 5% of those remain for 6 months. America designs products to be made so they break as soon as possible, but will still leave the client with faith in the product, enough so to buy themselves more.

But who benefits from this system?

The aristocrats do. Right up in their trees, lording over us. There are bankers who awarded themselves millions of dollars in bonuses whilst creating a recession that would cripple thousands of struggling individuals around the world. This doesn't cause stress for people living on government benefits, but for the people who are just above the poverty line. America makes those people struggle and work every day. It does so by enforcing a system where the elite (namely money-posessing) people take hold. Can nothing be done to create a fair and happy world?

Well, there is something you can do. You can be fair. You can be smart, and you can think before reaching for your credit card while watching an auction channel. You can PAUSE and WAIT before buying that “wonderful new shave”. We have to know our limitations, and stretch them. Whoever is reading this, YOU are the workforce. You are the people economically enslaved. There is hope. You can work together towards goals such as Project Venus, Save The Forests, Oil Conservation, and Fairtrade. These small lifestyle changes will help you sleep at night. How can we sleep after reading this, knowing that we are only here through the turmoil and suffering of potentially hundreds of other men, women and children.

When a child reaches to the future, who will have the heart to say, “we've used it up, son.”

Le B. said...
Mar. 26, 2010 at 7:52 am:

What gives you the right to bad mouth America. America is one of Britain's largest allies and if it wasn't for America then you would probably be living under a Facsist regime right now. There is no possible way that the UK would have won WWII by themselves without the help of the US and the USSR, who didn't even fight for the better of the world, but for the better of themselves. So before you make ludacris statements and opinions you should see how intertwined the US a... (more »)

AgnotTheOdd replied...
Jul. 14, 2010 at 12:22 am :
Stop playing the blame game.  At the end of the day, your whining won't make anyone more enthusiastic about doing their part and all you have to control are your actions.  So I think it's time to do your part

toxic.monkey replied...
Jul. 14, 2010 at 2:51 pm :

come on!!! the past is the past, now is now! don't get them mixed up! Today we have a different problem and we have to fix it, not try to figure out how things would have worked out. Now I agree that people shouldn't insult each other's countries, because it's useless anyway.

And just to remind you: no one acted when Germany marches into Rhineland, no one acted Austria was annexxed, no one acted when Hitler demanded a part of the Czech Republic. Not USA not Britain not France no... (more »)

AgnotTheOdd replied...
Jul. 14, 2010 at 2:54 pm :
the past is the past and we should move on and then you begin ranting about a war that was 70 years ago?

toxic.monkey replied...
Jul. 16, 2010 at 1:28 pm :
WWII's a sore spot. yes very hypocritical of me. but if you read my rant you'll see that i'm trying to point out that world war two started because of a mess up in diplomacy rather than trying to defend any country here by saying that everyone owes that country.

Montherieth said...
Mar. 13, 2010 at 4:03 pm:
I enjoy this article, and the statistics are definitely confounding. Good work.

Phoenix97 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 4, 2010 at 2:54 pm:
"The U.S.A government is a trigger-happy collection of murderous power figures, They do so much to the world, and yet they have nuclear arms and their military to point at other nations, and say “give me your money!” They succeeded for so long due to pure fear, but now other countries have the chance to strike back."
This is nothing but bad-mouthing America, a country you do not live in and probably have never experienced. Why don't you come visit and see the eff... (more »)

Montherieth replied...
Mar. 13, 2010 at 4:02 pm :
Our "efforts" to go "green" include the rapid erosion of arable land to grow corn for biofuels, the production of an entirely new fleet of cars that are "fuel-efficient" or "eco-friendly" when the production of such cars actually uses well over 20 barrels per car, and the war machine here certainly doesn't look like it's stopping anytime soon. And those are just three examples. The U.S. is far from "green", my friend.
As for our o... (more »)

zebrachic replied...
Feb. 27, 2011 at 3:42 pm :
But we are doing a lot more to go green then we were five years ago. Like we have recycling in every school, we do composting and such. I think that even though it isn't as much as we COULD be doing, we are still making a difference even if it is small.

jeanines said...
Feb. 10, 2010 at 5:24 pm:
i completly agree with some things that you have 2 say, but the fact is america is not perfect nor is any another country. but america is great in the ways that anyone from anywhere can achieve what they want on earth if thats they want but only in america is this most posslible to accomplish. but this was a great peice in the way the you put what you believe out there for people who proably dont agree with you.

SarahVanSise This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 10, 2010 at 4:32 pm:
1) Fix up your punctuation. It's rather atrocious in areas.
2) You live in the UK. Though I agree with many of your opinions, I truly believe you need to get the actual facts first before you point fingers (and cite them, please).
3) Double-check your grammar before you decide to submit.

AgnotTheOdd replied...
Jul. 14, 2010 at 12:27 am :
The point of this work was to convey a message, not to toy around with punctuation.  Sure it's nice, but it did not inhibit the reading process and is therefore not an issue.  And by the way, points 1 and 2 were rather redundant.

AmericanBill replied...
Jun. 11, 2011 at 6:06 pm :
Welllllll, it is a writing website. And the fact is that if you want it to be a professional article... you gotta get simple stuff downpat... like puncuation. Maybe the British just aren't smart enough.

AgnotTheOdd replied...
Jun. 11, 2011 at 9:07 pm :
One british person has bad grammar, therefore there entire country is dumb?

Dandelion said...
Feb. 10, 2010 at 11:07 am:
Every country has a it's cons, but America has more pros than most. "Hate" is too strong a word to describe America's down-sides. As a strong-willed female, I know that I would be killed or bitterly shunned in other countries of the world. Blame the war in Iraq on those who started it, not on the innocent country itself.

Henry said...
I think we're all forgetting that the "evil aristocrats", as opposed to "sitting up in their trees, lording over us," are actually the people that make jobs! Job providers are those that can afford to pay wages because they have enough money! Far from cheating the working class, they support families and workers out of their own (admittedly deep) pockets! This sounds like a union propaganda piece to me; we're forgetting that the people who run the companies are the ... (more »)

karishna418 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Say what you will, but you should at least thank God that this is a country with a right to free speech. In a nation like China or north Korea, you'd probably be killed for writing this. And who do you have to thank for this right? Oh! That's right! That "trigger-happy collection of murderous power figures" who risk their lives every day to protect you and the laws that you are so ungratefully taking advantage of. If you don't like the situation, quit complaining a... (more »)

kindyxkandy said...
Jan. 19, 2010 at 9:18 am:
Alright, I'll give it to you, yes America does use a lot a resources that makes us a little wasteful, but in case you haven't been notified, so do you. Yeah, you waste a little less, but thats only because your country is SO much smaller. If your country was as large as America, it would be wasteful too. Your not American, don't judge our country just because of your clouded view. And also, an educated person would know that a lot of stastics are complete lies, so yeah those might... (more »)

MisplacedTexan14 said...
The author of this doesn't even live in america. I love America. Yes, we have some problems, who doesn't. The UK has health care problems.
And the author says the war is for oil, well her country wasn't attacked in 2001. Maybe the author should worry about her counrty's problems instead of critisizing America.

AgnotTheOdd replied...
Jul. 14, 2010 at 12:30 am :
Stop kidding yourself.  We all know it was for oil.  The War on Terror is all a facade.  And if it was a terrorist attack in 2001, then why in the world did we invade Iraq?  And by the way, we should appreciate opinions from citizens of other countries as they have a different perspective.

MisplacedTexan14 replied...
Jul. 14, 2010 at 8:13 pm :
I will only respect the opinion of people from other countries if they give it respectfully, if they say I hate America, I'll say screw you we don't care what you think. This is our country, not theirs.