How Many Of You Hate America?

The common view of things is often different from the reality. They can be twisted, beautiful images that shield us from the truth. Sometimes people should think of it not as a shield, but as a blindfold. Because a world superpower is taking steps too far. By consuming more fossil fuels than is necessary, by standing still and making no military progression when it was needed, and by waging war on a country and attacking soldier and civilians over a mere dispute for oil. This “great” country, is America.

Many people look to America and sigh with envy at “the American Dream” . However, that dream cannot last long, while America is guzzling up precious resources left on a rapidly crowding planet. These figures speak for themselves about the evident greed of America:

Coal > Production
531,822,000 ton

Coal consumption
1,060,000,000

Commercial energy use
8,148.38

Electric power consumption > kWh
3,920,613,000,000 kWh

Electricity > Consumption
3,892,000,000,000 kWh

Gasoline prices
0.77

Geothermal power use
5,640

Natural gas > Consumption
652,900,000,000 cu m

Natural Gasoline > Production
12,275,000 ton

Nuclear electricity generation
780.1 terawatt-hours

Nuclear energy consumption
821.1 terawatt-hours

Nuclear reactors operable
104

Oil > Consumption
20,680,000 bbl/day

Oil > Exports
1,165,000 bbl/day

Oil > Production
8,457,000 bbl/day

Oil imports > Net
10,400,000 barrels per day

Oil reserves
22,450,000,000 barrels

Usage per person
8.35 TOE per person

Wall plugs > Voltage
110 V

Wind energy installation
6,740 MW

These crimes are forgivable, as other nations are guilty of many similar crimes, such as Brazilians chopping down the Amazon. But global warming is not the most important aspect that we can hold against America. America has extorted countries beyond the point of recovery. Equador, for example, was reduced to a poor scrabbling wreck once America dealt out loans to them. Now Equador only has 5% of its national budget to spend on public services, whilst the rest of the money goes into paying off foreign aid, almost all of which goes to America. Is this right? Is it fair that Americans can bully nations? Furthermore. America threatens, assasinates, and then goes to war with the presidents of countries who refused to run their countries as they like. The war with Iraq is a simple example. America wanted oil. Iran refused to give for no good reason. Why should we just let them do this to us? Us as a world?
Oh yes, because they have guns!

The U.S.A government is a trigger-happy collection of murderous power figures, They do so much to the world, and yet they have nuclear arms and their military to point at other nations, and say “give me your money!” They succeeded for so long due to pure fear, but now other countries have the chance to strike back. America doesn't have all the power anymore. A single grain of rice can tip a scale. Somehow, America has set in a system which everybody likes. A system where people don't think. Where they impulsively buy items that will break very soon. In America, only 10% of items bought for a house are kept for more than a month, and only 5% of those remain for 6 months. America designs products to be made so they break as soon as possible, but will still leave the client with faith in the product, enough so to buy themselves more.

But who benefits from this system?

The aristocrats do. Right up in their trees, lording over us. There are bankers who awarded themselves millions of dollars in bonuses whilst creating a recession that would cripple thousands of struggling individuals around the world. This doesn't cause stress for people living on government benefits, but for the people who are just above the poverty line. America makes those people struggle and work every day. It does so by enforcing a system where the elite (namely money-posessing) people take hold. Can nothing be done to create a fair and happy world?

Well, there is something you can do. You can be fair. You can be smart, and you can think before reaching for your credit card while watching an auction channel. You can PAUSE and WAIT before buying that “wonderful new shave”. We have to know our limitations, and stretch them. Whoever is reading this, YOU are the workforce. You are the people economically enslaved. There is hope. You can work together towards goals such as Project Venus, Save The Forests, Oil Conservation, and Fairtrade. These small lifestyle changes will help you sleep at night. How can we sleep after reading this, knowing that we are only here through the turmoil and suffering of potentially hundreds of other men, women and children.

When a child reaches to the future, who will have the heart to say, “we've used it up, son.”

MichaelZhangThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Sep. 4 at 5:05 am:
Perhaps American Dream seems to be hard to last long because of the huge cost of energy and recourse. But USA won't be like ancient China or ancient Rome. Because America is still absorbing talented people from 7 billion people. Talented people is always the generator of a country's dream.

luckyowl1234 said...
Sep. 1 at 10:31 am:
This article states that america is a trigger happy collection of murderous power figures, which in fact is not true. America bombed Hiroshima not because we said "give me your money" but in order to insure the protection of not only America but numerous countries. Every nation has it contributions but also its faults. Lets not forget about Britain as an imperiaslt nation who killed many people in Africa, China, and India.  

justmylifeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 26 at 5:43 pm:
I am American, so I'm not a stranger to people "hating" America. But I am upset at some choices we have made. You tell me that we just bomb people for fun. America is one of the biggest inforcers in the United Nations, so we have to go in a take certian people out. But I do disagree with some things. Likr, dropping a bomb into a city full of civilians with 10 or 11 enemies? That isn't worth the loss of 100 other innocent people

1998clm said...
Aug. 12 at 11:10 pm:
You obviously have some very strong points; however, hating what is happening solves nothing. Unless you plan on paying us stupid, wasteful Americans a visit and live amoung us you can't possibly understand our culture. The glutony of modern society may stem from our country and there is little we can do to deny it. Compared to your country ours is young and reckless. The decadence of society is not something to be belittled. We aren't trying to ruin other countries and if they can't... (more »)

Caesar123This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 11 at 2:53 pm:
Outsider is right. At one point in time the British Empire covered a quarter of all the land in the world and lorded over dozens upon dozens of developing countries that they then exploited. Also I see that while you condemn America over its use of fossil fuels you speak not of your own country, Communist China, or the pseudo-imperialistic Russia. All of these countries are among the leaders in carbon dioxide emissions, so don’t go pointing the finger just at America.

The_Outsider_Looking_In said...
Jun. 22 at 1:38 am:
It is interesting that the author of this article is from the United Kingdom, a country upon which "the sun never set" because it had so many colonial holdings all over the world. A country that destroyed and raped hundreds of cultures in North America, Africa, Asia, Australia, Europe, and even South America. This of course is only a small part of the terrible history of the English. Yes there are bad aspects of America, and yes, there are several stains on our history. But do not be s... (more »)

the-unrehearsedThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 16 at 7:21 pm:
"Hate" is a strong word. Ironically enough, in America, you can be convicted at both the state and federal levels for hate crimes. In fact, it's funny that America is being hated on when it's among the most discrimination-fighting nations in the world.  I found the logic of calling America's environmental issues "forgivable, as other nations are guilty of many similar crimes," odd, especially when this excuse could have been applied to all of the crimes y... (more »)

madcupa_tea said...
May 13 at 1:42 am:
I like your writing and I also agree with a lot of things you're saying, although I am a bit tired of people complaining about my country. You bring up a lot of good ideas, but America isn't all bad. There's good and bad mixed up in our American salad and you can't pick out one. Also, the bad happens for a reason, and it's not always people being bad people. There's always a cause and pressure that makes people make decisions that might not have been very good, but were t... (more »)

Christopher T. said...
Mar. 26 at 6:09 pm:
So I kinda get what you are saying about cutting back on fossil fuels and maybe not being in a perpetual state of war, but this does not sound like a well-thought and journalistically-voiced article. Not meaning to be rude, but it sounds like a long rant with a few statistics put smack in the middle of the paper. It could be what you are going for, but I personally make the sign of the cross and bakc away. Granted, I have a few bones to pick with our government too, but you have to see everythin... (more »)

slim-not-shady said...
Mar. 25 at 4:47 pm:
Yeah, they help everyone else and neglect the people who live in their country; where 7% of Americans control over 85% of the currency in the U.S. Some live comfortably, but America's majority population lives in poverty. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer, until complete chaos consumes us.

Marie H. said...
Mar. 24 at 6:10 pm:
Quite honestly? I feel like you don't see the whole picture-it may be natural for you to take a jingoistic view of other nations, but when you stack the facts so that only the negative aspects of a subject are visible-especially considering your own country is far from squeaky clean, as you probably well know-it feels more like an ad hominem attack than any sort of honest critique of the American government, and while you certainly had some good points and  don't *think* you meant t... (more »)

Virgil said...
Feb. 25 at 12:46 pm:
I am a Socialist, Middle-Class, liberal, American who agrees with many points you have brought up in this artical, sadly, I do not actually apriciate the way you conveyed them. Why? You see, you make claims, assuming that ALL Americans succumb to this massive capitalist consumerism which plagues, actually, the entire world. You make claims of mindless killing, while your own government, and every government for that matter, is responsible for the deaths of millions of otherwise innocent civilian... (more »)

ThinkCarefully said...
Jan. 30 at 11:40 pm:
I am a American personally but I definitely don't fit the "ugly" American stereotype I'm brutally aware of.  I have encountered many of these types of articles before and see the same points brought up usually.  Yes we do use energy up at some pretty extraordinary rates. I know the reason we receive so much criticism is because of globalization and the spread of information. It is also the fact that we are a lone superpower and that means we draw a lot of attention. &... (more »)

Caitlinmb said...
Jan. 8 at 10:56 pm:
I agree with your article for the most part, but the honestly the US isn't the only country with isses such as these

MarkJallayuThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 7, 2013 at 11:45 am:
I like this article. But I don't understand how you can criticize another country without looking at yours? UK is also part of the problem. You do know that your own country attack soldier and civilians over dispute of oil? You do know your own country also bully nation’s; from its history and to this day. Is that fair? I don't think you understand America usage of the figures you provided given that your country is small. America is a big country, with a big economy; without these... (more »)

M8Z22 said...
I think you had the right idea but you portrayed it poorly. As an American citizen, I agree with some of the things you say. However, you tended to state a few things as if they were facts without backing them up with any evidence.  Hate is a strong word. I understand the rest of the world's frusteration with the United States. Even United States is frusterated with the United States. You fail to mention that it's the government bringing our country down, not necessarily the peopl... (more »)

madcupa_tea replied...
May 13 at 1:45 am :
I agree! Also, America is not the only problem the world has, and a lot of America's decisions have not been only American decisions. I see you live in UK and as someone who lived overseas, I see your point of view and understand the frustration you all have, but like M8Z22 said, hate is a strong word.

JustinNelson said...
I applaud the author of this article, so many writers on here have absolutely know sense of depth in terms of fact and the reality of our world. Thank you for writing this and keep up the enlightenment.

Kindle said...
Sept. 14, 2013 at 11:12 am:
I don't think the U.S. is alone when it comes to global warming and the use of fossil fuels. That's going on everywhere in the world, including the UK and even Canada. This is a world problem and needs to be solved as such.

thinkingtoohard said...
It's sad that you feel this way. I saw you live in the UK...how could you have any idea what America is like on the inside?