How Many Of You Hate America?

The common view of things is often different from the reality. They can be twisted, beautiful images that shield us from the truth. Sometimes people should think of it not as a shield, but as a blindfold. Because a world superpower is taking steps too far. By consuming more fossil fuels than is necessary, by standing still and making no military progression when it was needed, and by waging war on a country and attacking soldier and civilians over a mere dispute for oil. This “great” country, is America.

Many people look to America and sigh with envy at “the American Dream” . However, that dream cannot last long, while America is guzzling up precious resources left on a rapidly crowding planet. These figures speak for themselves about the evident greed of America:

Coal > Production
531,822,000 ton

Coal consumption
1,060,000,000

Commercial energy use
8,148.38

Electric power consumption > kWh
3,920,613,000,000 kWh

Electricity > Consumption
3,892,000,000,000 kWh

Gasoline prices
0.77

Geothermal power use
5,640

Natural gas > Consumption
652,900,000,000 cu m

Natural Gasoline > Production
12,275,000 ton

Nuclear electricity generation
780.1 terawatt-hours

Nuclear energy consumption
821.1 terawatt-hours

Nuclear reactors operable
104

Oil > Consumption
20,680,000 bbl/day

Oil > Exports
1,165,000 bbl/day

Oil > Production
8,457,000 bbl/day

Oil imports > Net
10,400,000 barrels per day

Oil reserves
22,450,000,000 barrels

Usage per person
8.35 TOE per person

Wall plugs > Voltage
110 V

Wind energy installation
6,740 MW

These crimes are forgivable, as other nations are guilty of many similar crimes, such as Brazilians chopping down the Amazon. But global warming is not the most important aspect that we can hold against America. America has extorted countries beyond the point of recovery. Equador, for example, was reduced to a poor scrabbling wreck once America dealt out loans to them. Now Equador only has 5% of its national budget to spend on public services, whilst the rest of the money goes into paying off foreign aid, almost all of which goes to America. Is this right? Is it fair that Americans can bully nations? Furthermore. America threatens, assasinates, and then goes to war with the presidents of countries who refused to run their countries as they like. The war with Iraq is a simple example. America wanted oil. Iran refused to give for no good reason. Why should we just let them do this to us? Us as a world?
Oh yes, because they have guns!

The U.S.A government is a trigger-happy collection of murderous power figures, They do so much to the world, and yet they have nuclear arms and their military to point at other nations, and say “give me your money!” They succeeded for so long due to pure fear, but now other countries have the chance to strike back. America doesn't have all the power anymore. A single grain of rice can tip a scale. Somehow, America has set in a system which everybody likes. A system where people don't think. Where they impulsively buy items that will break very soon. In America, only 10% of items bought for a house are kept for more than a month, and only 5% of those remain for 6 months. America designs products to be made so they break as soon as possible, but will still leave the client with faith in the product, enough so to buy themselves more.

But who benefits from this system?

The aristocrats do. Right up in their trees, lording over us. There are bankers who awarded themselves millions of dollars in bonuses whilst creating a recession that would cripple thousands of struggling individuals around the world. This doesn't cause stress for people living on government benefits, but for the people who are just above the poverty line. America makes those people struggle and work every day. It does so by enforcing a system where the elite (namely money-posessing) people take hold. Can nothing be done to create a fair and happy world?

Well, there is something you can do. You can be fair. You can be smart, and you can think before reaching for your credit card while watching an auction channel. You can PAUSE and WAIT before buying that “wonderful new shave”. We have to know our limitations, and stretch them. Whoever is reading this, YOU are the workforce. You are the people economically enslaved. There is hope. You can work together towards goals such as Project Venus, Save The Forests, Oil Conservation, and Fairtrade. These small lifestyle changes will help you sleep at night. How can we sleep after reading this, knowing that we are only here through the turmoil and suffering of potentially hundreds of other men, women and children.

When a child reaches to the future, who will have the heart to say, “we've used it up, son.”

thebookwrmgirl said...
today at 5:50 pm
Are you saying you hate America?

wolvesandwildernessThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 9 at 9:01 pm
Okay, whoa- also just read the caption under the picture- umm... you do realize that any military of any country is made up of that country's people, and by that definition, uses the people to shield itself? What do you think we do here- get kidnapped by Secret Services who use us as riot shields to defend Obama? With the thing about terrorists- yeah, I'll condemn any terrorist group, but have you been to America? Our government has faults, but they're not terrorists. And is it not better that ... (more »)

May 9 at 8:05 pm
Wow. Yeah, I'll admit that we're definitely not great when it comes to the whole global change issue, but here's some things to keep in mind: one, we're a lot bigger than most other nations- in fact, the UK is roughly the size of Oregon, and according to NationMaster, the US is #5 in per capita coal consumption, whereas the UK (which is markedly smaller) is #12. So yes, we're hardly bragging over here about how great we are for the environment, but let's not say we're entirely to blame. As for u... (more »)

fallenskyy said...
Apr. 20 at 12:31 am
America is a hot mess. We're not the greatest country in the world and we never have been. America is ALWAYS seen as a land of opportunity for people coming to seek a good life when in reality America was born from war and was raised with slavery. Our culture is extremely violent so that's why I find it so hypocritical when we condemn terrorist attacks and ISIS when schools here are getting shot up monthly and guns are such a vital part of our culture. All that mess comes from the second amend... (more »)

Chankzu replied...
Jul. 7 at 12:16 am
@fallenskyy "I cannot be a patriot just because I'm black and as you know, America does not care about black people" America. Does. Not. Care. About. Black People. How much ignorance this comment contains is astounding. You do realize that we fought a war, which cost 600k lives just on the principle that all men are created equal. While America surely has had a dark history in terms of slavery, the US fights for what it stands for: Freedom and Liberty.Our country faced the biggest risk of collap... (more »)

JaseCauli said...
Mar. 26 at 8:23 pm
This article breaks my heart. Truly my heart weeps at the thought of so much hatred for a country I so ardently adore. How could I possibly hate a country that was produced out of the desire for liberty. I am proud for the men that stand in uniform to protect not only their own citizens but the rights of others. I do not want to throw stones because the United Kingdom is an ally of the United States and therefore despite silly rivalries I respect the UK, but our nation is several times larger th... (more »)

Reality_Checker said...
Mar. 11 at 9:23 am
This article is very much incorrect. The statistics that show America's "greediness" are just a part of the whole world spending resources. Britain and China are not any better and are even worse than America. We are trying to switch to green energy at a larger scale than the rest of the world. Global warming isn't all America's fault, China and Britain are big culprits too. And the statement that the U.S is "a trigger happy collection of murderous power figures" is wrong and insulting. It also ... (more »)

Reality Check said...
Mar. 8 at 8:25 am
Why don't you show all of the good America did. No ones perfect. Don't you remember that Britain was an imperialist colonial super power who was oppressing the Indians (in India, not North America) and the Africans. Britain isn't perfect neither are we. Our politicians are not trigger happy murderes (Trump maybe), sometimes they do good for the world. Sure America attacked Iraq for oil, but it isn't unlikely that other world powers would do the same. Just please be tolerant of other countries an... (more »)

EnderKing said...
Feb. 29 at 11:11 am
Sure the U.S. ain't perfect, but no country is. How about you look around at all the other problems countries are causing and not just focus on all of the flaws in the United States.

123stranger said...
Feb. 19 at 11:33 am
I am American, so I'm not a stranger to people "hating" America. But I am upset at some choices we have made.

Patriot said...
Jan. 22 at 12:29 pm
The fact is that the strong survive, and the weak are left behind. There's a reason that we have prospered so much in our relatively brief history, and it's because we aren't afraid to take what we need when we need it. That's less true nowadays, but if a country needs a resource and is strong enough to acquire that resource, why wouldn't they? We care more about our own than we do about whomever we roll over, because it's our responsibility to take care of ourselves. It just happens that there ... (more »)

DarkDragon said...
Jan. 18 at 10:04 am
There was good and bad in this article, but how about the idea of using nuclear power to off balance are energy consumption. This is better than wind and solar because of it watts per acre. Would love to hear you thoughts on this.

LittleRedDeliriousPrinceThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 3, 2015 at 11:00 am
I chose to read this article looking for a good factual argument, and I was not disappointed. Of course, I have found reading to comments on this article to be amusing. While I will not say whether I agree with you or not, I will say that you are entitled to your opinion and that no one else, including myself, should try to push another belief on you. All in all, I found the article to be well-written. You're a good writer.

slime extra shady said...
Sorry couldn't hear you over all the FREEDOM!!!!!!!!

Farhan M. This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Your article has some good points and some debatable points. What's wrong is wrong, but America is not the only one committing wrong. I further expand some of the things we as Americans can do to make ourselves better. Check out my article if you have time : TeenInk.com/opinion/current_events_politics/article/813863/Islam-and-Modern-Peace/

Avalon J. B. said...
I'm literally dying laughing over here you guys. Whatever idiot wrote this article obviously had some American boyfriend who broke her heart. I think everything about this article is hysterical. I'm loving the exaggeration of every little detail. And the added drama and tragedy. Fiction. of course, but amusing nonetheless.

Ibbitson2 said...
1.You accuse America of invading other nations who don't run their nation the way Americans like it. Sorry, sweetie, but that's not how it works. We fight for the freedom of the women who cannot go to school in Saudi Arabia and we fight for the gay couples whose heads have been chopped off by radicals in the Middle East. 2.Also, Equador did take loans from us, and "loans" mean "money you have to give back." That's not bullying. 4. The American middle class is one of the richest classes in the ... (more »)

s.mitchells said...
Mar. 30, 2015 at 12:19 am
Ok America has made mistakes like any country, but do you even know what the American Dream is or how the government was originally intended to be like? The American Dream is to be successful and the government's purpose is to allow people the freedom to go after their dreams without interference from the government unless someone is causing another physical harm. You have not put your statistics into good use and you just seem racist against Americans who have all kinds of opinions on topics.

ABPippins replied...
I agree with you saying the author seems misinformed. To the author: Instead of just including American usage of resources, other countries consumption should've been provided for comparison. The title really set me on edge and I think the phrasing could've been less accusatory towards us Americans. We as a nation can only elect our representatives for our government. after that, it's up to our Congressmen and Representatives to make the best decisions for us. We can lobby and petition, but th... (more »)

Reality_Checker replied...
Mar. 8 at 8:30 am
I agree. This article is all hate and the problems that it describes isn't exclusive to America either.