A New Perspective on Israel-Palestine | Teen Ink

A New Perspective on Israel-Palestine

By pennykimberling BRONZE, Palos Verdes Peninsula, California
pennykimberling BRONZE, Palos Verdes Peninsula, California

The question of Palestine stands as one of the most enduring and contentious issues of the 21st century, stretching back to the 1940s and continuing to wreak havoc, displacing millions and claiming countless lives today. The land of Israel-Palestine historically has been embroiled in conflict, owing much of its turmoil to Jerusalem– a focal point for all Abrahamic religions, however, it was only relatively recently that the debate of Israel versus Palestine catapulted into global consciousness. Prior to World War II, Palestine, under loose British control, boasted a diverse population steeped in Abrahamic belief, primarily Muslim thanks to previous Ottoman control. The seeds of Israel were not sown until the 1910s with the Balfour Declaration in Great Britain. Britain sought a solution to what they described as the “Jewish problem,” simultaneously sparking the rise of early Zionism within European Jewish communities. This confluence of anti-Semitism and Zionism facilitated large waves of migration to Palestine, a trend that only exploded during and after World War II. This trend, however, was vehemently opposed by the local Christians and Muslims who constituted as 90% of the population. They perceived the mass migration and the transfer of land as a blatant disregard for their presence, emblematic of Western arrogance. Thus the persistent conflict between Israel and Palestine can be traced back to this “original sin,” and the profound failure of British diplomacy in the Arab world.

Nevertheless, Israel's geopolitical significance has transcended its origins as a British miscalculation, evident by the fact that practically every nation in the world has seemingly taken a side. Perhaps most notably is the United States’ stance as a strong ally of Israel, funneling a grand total of $3 billion annually into the country– 99.7% of which is dedicated solely to its military. Additionally, Washington also provides large-scale political support to Israel, having used its United Nations Security Council veto power 42 times against resolutions condemning Israel, out of a total 83 times in which its veto has ever been used. However, this seemingly one-sided allyship is not a mistake. The position of Israel near martial hotspots such as Afghanistan, Iraq, and Iran makes it an extremely strategic ally to Western powers alike. The billions of dollars worth in foreign aid to its military, as well, makes sense when considering the fact that Israel has essentially evolved into a de facto emergency American military outpost with the amount of aid it receives growing each year. Many Israeli politicians have actually spoken out against American aid, saying that Israel no longer needs it and that the relationship is harmful to the sovereignty of Israel as a nation.

Since its establishment in 1948, Israel has forcibly annexed 4 million acres of Palestinian land and systematically destroyed over 530 Palestinian communities, resulting in mass displacement and loss of life. This destabilization paved the way for the emergence of Hamas, a terrorist group committed to reclaiming Palestine through violent means. On October 7, 2023, coinciding with a Jewish holiday, Hamas launched a coordinated assault, claiming the lives of 1,139 individuals, including 695 civilians. In retaliation, Israel declared a state of war and launched a full-scale invasion of the Gaza Strip. While Israel justifies its actions as self-defense, the ferocity and scope of the invasion have elicited international condemnation from bodies such as the United Nations and Amnesty International. An estimated 28,000 Palestinians have died since the commencement of the operation, including 10,000 children and 7,000 women. The disproportionately high number of child casualties underscores the harrowing reality of life in Gaza, where militarization and instability deny many the opportunity to reach adulthood in the first place. Israel's bombardment has ravaged one-third of Gaza's homes and cultural landmarks, exacerbating an already dire humanitarian crisis. Additionally, Israel initially told civilians to flee to southern Gaza, but has since dropped bombs on regions initially declared “safe” as well.

Family trees have been dismembered, and whole branches obliterated within Gaza, however, the media consistently presents a false dichotomy of the situation. It is not Israel vs. Palestine; it is instead Western influence versus international cooperation. The conflict that rages on within today’s Israel-Palestine is one that could’ve been solved decades ago: in 2013, 70% of Palestinians in the West Bank and 48% of Palestinians in the Gaza Strip, together with 52% of Israelis supported "an independent Palestinian state together with the state of Israel.” However, today’s climate looks much different with the vast majority of citizens in Palestine and Israel alike both opposing a two state solution. That doesn’t mean that the possibility of a two-state solution doesn’t stand though; the only real bodies opposing peace in this fashion are the United States, Israel’s far right, and Hamas. With UN support, though, it is undeniably possible to stop the pouring of gasoline on this international fire to ultimately find peace.

Israel-Palestine has emerged as a huge debate as of late, but it seems that much of the world has forgotten about the origins of this issue and its core. In the heat of it all, it is easy to forget the crux of the issue which is that mass amounts of people are dying on both sides. It is not Israel vs. Palestine but rather a cry to humanity to end war.