Patriotism: Its Wrongdoings and Need for Change | Teen Ink

Patriotism: Its Wrongdoings and Need for Change

December 15, 2023
By Anjiiii GOLD, Chelsea, Massachusetts
Anjiiii GOLD, Chelsea, Massachusetts
10 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"The mystery of human existence lies not in just staying alive, but in finding something to live for."
- Fyodor Dostoevsky


How patriotism has been defined and utilized has changed greatly throughout American history. During the American Revolution, you were a patriot if you opposed British rule over the colonies. During World War II, you were a patriot if you helped the country in its total war efforts. But today, it feels as if the word has been used to shame others instead of instilling a sense of national pride. And in our currently divided country, it has only been used to divide us further. Those who truly love the people of this country have been overshadowed by groups of individuals who prioritize their own political opinions over the interests of others. For instance, during the January 6th insurrection, it was used by militant right-wing radicals to support their political ideologies.1 It is also constantly used by conservatives and liberals alike to condemn anyone who criticizes the US. But what these so-called “patriots'' don't understand is that many of these critiques are not unfounded. The US has constantly caused trouble at home and abroad, and what has defined patriotism in the last 80 years has been the intentional oversight of these problems. This has led modern-day patriots to adopt a disdain for anyone who points out the US’s flaws and mistakes. If we don’t do anything soon to change the way we define our national pride, our current polarization will only lead the US to fall from grace. 


Looking at the contemporary conditions of being a patriot, we see a few common expectations. These include: glorifying nationalism, idolizing the Founding Fathers, and despising communism. Out of these conditions, the most recent addition is associated with communism, which has caused some of the US’s biggest problems today. This is because, despite its end, the repercussions of the Cold War are still felt in our modern times. Ever since the end of World War II and the start of the McCarthy era, anticommunist rhetoric has become a fundamental part of national identity, and a central part of patriotism. The patriotic conditioning of this time was primarily driven by the hostility the US had towards the USSR and its infamous political system. Furthermore, to the average American during these times, patriotism meant unwavering support for your country; it was expected that they were doing what was in the best interests of you and the entire world. So, as patriots for their country, it was natural for Americans to be in accord with defeating the “evil” that was communism. Because “what constituted a ‘true American’ reflected a competition between two great powers… democracy and communism.”2 This part of patriotism led the US in its endeavors of eradicating communism abroad in Asia, Africa, and Latin America. It has also justified many wrongdoings done on these continents to the American people.  


But starting around the time of the Vietnam War, Americans acquired the ability to see the ongoing war right on their TV in real-time, and it certainly wasn’t a pretty sight. Americans were suddenly exposed to the people the government called, “evil communists.”3 They saw the violence committed against these people halfway across the earth, all in the name of eradicating communism. By 1969, “52 percent felt our entering the war was a mistake.”4 The wrongdoings of the US started to become clear to most Americans, with many of them taking to the streets in protest. Americans were now able to peer outside of their domestic bubble. Therefore, due to the new global awareness many started to have, blind patriotism was no longer a standard. But, of course, the government didn’t back down when it came to “spreading democracy.” If they faltered in the war efforts, it would be as if they were admitting defeat. So, our national pride started to take a defensive standpoint instead of a prideful one to combat all of the incoming disapproval. And those who still stood with the US decided to embrace this defensive nationalism.


Many Americans today have adopted this same defensive model, and wouldn’t hesitate to defend the US over reflecting on its mistakes. This has resulted in these individuals flaunting their national pride without perceptiveness, calling the US the “greatest country in the world”3 that can’t be rivaled by any other. This is supported by the fact that, “Three in four Americans believe the country has been a force of good for the world…America is such a great and noble country that it can and must cure its imperfections and learn from its mistakes.”5 This belief, unfortunately, has rarely been true. The US has constantly meddled in the affairs of other countries and ethnic groups, causing greater harm than good in most places. From causing massacres in Cambodia and El Salvador to staging coups in Chile and the Congo, it is clear where the criticisms of the US stem from when it comes to foreign policy. The US has been the antagonist of various world stories, and that is not something to justify or ignore. Many patriots have overlooked these tragedies, waving it away without concern if it’s ever brought up. If the current blind patriotism model continues to forget and push aside these devastating incidents, it's only as George Santayana says: “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”6 And unfortunately, we are already seeing this repetition of history right now.


Fast forward to the present, in the ongoing Israel-Hamas war, America’s controversial stance has come to the attention of many. It is clear how the US has not learned from its own history. As of November 30, 2023, the US has shipped to Israel, “small-diameter bombs…Joint Direct Attack Munitions…155mm artillery shells… along with 36,000 rounds of 30mm ammunition to be fired by the Apache’s cannon”7 among countless other things. These weapons of destruction have helped Israel kill over 17,000 Palestinians and wound 46,000 others. With the death toll increasing every day, Americans are not only outraged that their tax dollars are being used to support genocidal bloodshed, but they are also sympathetic to the plight of the Palestinians. This war has cast a shadow on some Americans' views towards their country, but patriots have rushed to the defense of Israel just as the government has told them to. In support of the current patriotic conditioning, all Western media has also sided with the government. But of course, this type of propaganda is not a new occurrence; it was seen during the Cold War. What is happening now is only a repetition of history due to the ignorance our extreme nationalism has brought upon us. Our current version of patriotism has not brought any benefit or increase in morale to Americans. What it has brought are divisions, cult-like mentalities, and a loss of critical thinking. Patriotism is no longer about uniting Americans and building community during hard times. It's now about spreading political opinions and a disdain for those who advocate that this version of America is not one we should be upholding.
 
So until we as Americans collectively recognize our faults, how can we move forward as a nation? Today, every type of American has been vilified and pitted against one another. And the consequences of these divides have been felt by all of us. The path the US is going towards due to this polarization has led, “54% of Americans today [to] say the biggest threat to our way of life isn't economic collapse, natural disasters or foreign invasions — but our own fellow Americans.”8 To combat this increase in division, it is necessary for us to redefine our patriotism. A patriot should be someone who wants the best for every American citizen, who doesn’t spread resentment, and who supports the well-being of everyone at home and abroad. Current patriots may think that this change would weaken our country, but I’d argue that it would only make us stronger as a whole. In an increasingly globalized world, to continually cause terror abroad only damages our position on the global stage. The US certainly is a powerful country with influence, but we need to realize that we have gotten away with so many misdeeds because of the privilege and power we have. Bringing back the community element of patriotism will help us mend our relationships with other nations. And in a sense, we would start to mend our relationships with each other as well. A divided nation only brings negativity, so bettering our connections would strengthen the country’s future. As patriotism is, we should only anticipate our nation’s downfall. If we committed to making these changes, it would be easier to turn inwards to better feed, clothe, and house our citizens. We need to remember that we all play a role in uniting this country and one another. Collectively working to heal our divides will bring a better tomorrow for every American and everyone across the globe.


The author's comments:

Something I don't see talked about