AI: Terrifying or Revolutionary | Teen Ink

AI: Terrifying or Revolutionary

By mksmith1353 BRONZE, Corinth, Mississippi
mksmith1353 BRONZE, Corinth, Mississippi

AI: Terrifying or Revolutionary

Artificial intelligence (AI) has been a topic of much debate over the years, with some people hailing it as a revolutionary technology while others view it as a terrifying development. In my opinion, both views have merits, and it ultimately comes down to how we choose to use this technology.

On the one hand, AI has the potential to revolutionize many industries and improve our quality of life. For example, AI-powered medical diagnosis systems could help doctors identify diseases more accurately and quickly, potentially saving countless lives. Similarly, driverless cars could make our roads safer and reduce traffic congestion, while AI-powered robots could help us perform dangerous or repetitive tasks more efficiently.

However, there are also many concerns about the use of AI. One of the main fears is that AI could eventually become smarter than humans and start making decisions on its own, potentially leading to disastrous consequences. There are also concerns about job loss as AI and automation become more prevalent, as well as issues around privacy and data security.

Despite these concerns, I believe that AI has the potential to be a force for good if we use it responsibly. We need to ensure that we are developing AI in a way that is safe, transparent, and aligned with human values. This means putting in place regulations and ethical guidelines to ensure that AI is used for the benefit of society as a whole, rather than just a few individuals or companies.

In conclusion, while there are certainly valid concerns about the development of AI, I believe that it has the potential to be a revolutionary technology that improves our lives in many ways. However, we need to approach its development with caution and ensure that we are using it responsibly and ethically. Ultimately, it is up to us to decide whether AI is terrifying or revolutionary, depending on how we choose to use it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That was an excellent essay, so it’s a shame I didn’t write it. The entire text up to this point was generated by GrammarlyGo, Grammarly’s new and very advanced software. At the click of a button, I turned an hour’s work into a minute’s. I beg the question: what will this teach future generations? The constant and, in many cases, completely unregulated internet access we give children is already alarming. In my opinion, the development of AI has made it so much worse.

Do you remember the first time you wrote an essay over 1500 words long? I do. It was a big moment for me. After weeks of slaving over a paper, which was a massive part of my final for a particularly hard history course, I finally finished it. I felt extremely accomplished, and suddenly, 1500 didn’t feel like such a big number anymore. In my experience, mountains don’t look like molehills until you’ve already climbed them, and this AI is taking away the future generation’s climbing gear.

The 2020 Covid outbreak and subsequent quarantine already did a number on the American youth. If you don’t believe me, ask almost any educator. Many are finally recovering from the two-year vacation for schoolchildren that was Covid. However, I believe the usage of AI could very easily curb this. If you do what I did and type a five-word prompt into one of the many online text generators, you can ‘write’ excellent essays in record times. However, no sense of accomplishment comes with this type of work. How can anyone ever grow if every challenge is eliminated before you can even attempt it?

My question to you is: should we let this continue? AI, as it is right now, is the worst it will ever be again. For every day that goes by, it will only be developed further. It will only get smarter. It will only imitate humans more accurately. I ask again: is this what we want for our future? The youth left without work ethics, the grown left without jobs, and the essays left without heart. I don’t want that.