OP-ED: Innocent People Getting Killed by Gun Violence | Teen Ink

OP-ED: Innocent People Getting Killed by Gun Violence

According to The New York Times, there were 39,773 gun deaths in 2017, up by 1,000 from the year before.How gun violence impact people in the U.S  is by getting innocent people killed by a gun on purpose or by accident. Innocent people get killed in places they wouldn’t imagine, innocent people get killed in public places, and innocent people can get killed by a gun in school. A solution that may work for this is to establish police patrol to look out for the communities safety. Military style weapons can be used to target innocent people at everyday places. According to Rop Clobes “the AR-15 was used on July 20,2012 at the Aurora movie theatre shooting that left 12 killed and 70 wounded” Case Study: AR-15. This matters because people may feel unsafe to go to places that they once found entertaining. Bystanders can be killed in average places where you wouldn’t expect a shooter. “Issue overview: Guns in America” from NewsELA states “ On June 12, 2016, a gunman killed 49 people in a bar in Orlando Florida”. This matters because people may feel unsafe to go to a public place because nobody knows what going to happen while you are there.

People under 18 have been killed in school shootings due to a reckless use of a gun. According to Rop Clobes “again the AR-15 was used on December 14,2014 at Sandy Hook Elementary School that resulted in 26 deaths” Case Study: AR-15. This matters because it shows that school suffer because of gun violence and families may feel unsafe about the there children attending school.

One thing we can do to stop gun violence is to put a law about not letting people have weapons in streets. According to Rob Clobes “ As a result of the mass shooting, those in favor of gun control legislation make the argument that a military-style weapon should not be on American streets” Case Study: AR-15. This matters because it shows that if we have weapons in streets there is a possibility that there may a more shootings.don’t put the same words again and again.

Another thing we can do to decrease gun violence is by making more backgrounds checks. Rebecca Kaplan states that we should “Require background checks for ammunition sales just like gun sales.” (“Taking Action to Stop Gun Violence in Oakland”) This matters because it may decrease gun violence by doing those background checks of gun sales.

Other things we can do to decrease gun violence is to raise the legal age for people to buy a weapon. According to CBS News, “But only 18 in most places to buy a long gun. In some states-mostly rural places with strong tradition of hunting- you can buy a rifle at the age of 14 or 16” (“In many US states, 18 is old enough to buy a semiautomatic”). This matters because people with a very young age are buying guns and that is an an issue because their brain is still developing and they may makedecisions without thinking.

The way gun violence impact people in the U.S is by how many innocent people are killed by gun violence. This is important because innocent people that haven’t done anything wrong are killed in a big amount and that is very bad and unfair.

Something we can do base on this information given is to protest about gun violence like that our voices can be heard.