Guns Are Safe | Teen Ink

Guns Are Safe

By AlexBeverly20000 BRONZE, Oakland, California
AlexBeverly20000 BRONZE, Oakland, California

Guns don't hurt people, guns don't harm people in a ripple effect. Guns are “safe”. But let's face reality. Guns hurt the U.S and Oakland because of the evolution of guns, a survey of Oakland sample, its relation with gun violence, and data on Oakland police shot spotter. Guns have evolved tremendously and with evolution, the danger of guns has improved.

During our study, we did a unit on the rate of fire over the years. In the 1850s the rate of fire for a rifle was 1.2 rounds per minute and then in 1949, the rate of fire of an M14 rifle is 725 rounds per minute. This shows how different guns from different times. This also shows how dangerous this progression can be and is not so good. Now there are guns that can shoot faster and more rounds. Which leads to more people getting hurt.

7th grade did a survey for gun harm vs. no gun harm on a sample of Oakland. We got this data from people around Oakland. Out of 385 people, 196 of them said themselves or a family member has been harmed by gun violence. So this is a big factor in harming Oakland and its people because 196 out of 385 is 51% of 385. This shows that it is likely that 51% of Oaklanders have been harmed by gun violence.

Using the ShotSpotter report, Oakland police, we can see the change in gun violence incidents. I have gathered this information from the ShotSpotter Oakland police. In Sept. 2017 there were 249 incidents, then in Sept. 2018, there were 395 incidents. That was a 43% rise in gun incidents.

This shows how gun violence in Oakland has risen from two years ago to a year ago by 43%. So, over the past two years, it has gotten what do you 43% worse.

As a possible solution for the reduction of gun violence in Oakland is, background checks. In my opinion, this can be a solution for Oakland. Background checks can show if the buyer of the gun is “ready” to handle the gun safely. If this happens it will reduce the number of guns on the streets. Making it safer.

Another possible solution for less gun violence is classes about gun violence and safety. This is a personal idea and opinion. If we can talk to school districts to add a non-gun violence class to talk about the negative effects of gun violence and safety people at young ages will learn that guns are dangerous and not to be played with. This knowledge will/can help them in the future as they grow.

Last we can try to strengthen gun laws. This is a personal opinion. If we include more contacts in laws and harsher consequences, it might prevent some harm. This could help people see the fine line better with gun laws and help them not to cross it.

The argument presented suggests you should take action against gun violence in Oakland because guns harm Oakland. You yourself can protest and make calls to take action.  Taking action will make the streets of Oakland safer for you, your friends, and your family.