Kids Should Vote This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Global warming, stock market plunges, housing market at an all-time low, bird flu, and Americans dying in Iraq! When you’re a kid it feels like you’re letting adults plan your future. Adults are voting, but their votes affect the next generation. We are the ones who have to live with their decisions.

In our multimedia-based society kids are exposed to more information than ever. Television, Internet, and satellite news are available 24/7. Polar ice caps are melting, our troops are dying, and people are starving as we watch live. My generation is more aware of what is going on in the world than previous ones. My generation is more likely to be offspring of single-parent families, multi-racial families, and openly gay parents. The world has changed, society is different from when our parents grew up.

Kids are more socially and politically aware; so why can’t we take part in the political process? What would the political environment be like if kids could vote? Perhaps SUVs would be illegal - if you don’t get 35 miles per gallon, you’re off the road. Why are our troops dying in Iraq if no weapons of mass destruction were found? Perhaps we would bring the troops home now, if kids had a say. How come Katrina victims still need help, while we turn away economic aid from other countries? I would vote to accept help from foreign countries. Why does it matter if we agree with their government or leaders if they want to help? Also, my generation doesn’t care who makes up a family. I would vote that families are people who love and care for their children.

My hope is that because children of my generation have more knowledge, they will make the right decisions. My fear is that kids are so busy memorizing Red Sox stats, so concerned with Britney at the VMA Awards or with beating the newest video game, that they may not pay attention to what will affect their lives. On the other hand, don’t some adults focus on these less important things too?

Perhaps only the politically aware should vote, whether they are 14 or 104. If you don’t know how your vote will affect everyone, or how a candidate will govern, then don’t cast a vote. I guess kids couldn’t do any worse.

Electricity This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Actually, I disagree. It's good kids don't vote, because kids base 99% of their opinions from their parents.
BY THE WAY replied...
smart statistic
Kidleader said...
We should get to vote Because Its our country as well as yours. we have school assembles on demockray but If we don't wet to vote we might as well live in a communist country. People don't respect us. If they show respect for us we show respect. If they discriminate against us we are going to lose respect for them. ===Grown-ups have told us what to do for to long do this, do that, "We are adults and you are children you do not have the right to answer back!!!" there are other things too:... (more »)
BookWorm579 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Kids aren't allowed to vote for several reasons. One of these reasons is that many kids are naive. They haven't experienced as much of life as their parents have. Sure, adults often vote on subjects that affect us in the long-run, but one must remember that we will be voting on issues which affect our parents without the experience to know how they will. Another way kids are naive is that we expect instant-gratification. I don't like the Iraq war any more than anyone else, but I kn... (more »)
Meagan M. said...
Wow, Great job, this very much changed my opinion. It gave me a new outlook on voting as a teen. I know many kids in my school who could take on the responsibility and others who couldn't it is a very good topic to explore.
Amyyy said...
Feb. 14, 2009 at 2:55 am
teens could probably vote, but children?! No way! The only reason my little brother would have voted against Obama is that Obama might take away his precious little BB gun. Young kids only care about themselves (most anyway) because they do not realize the most important things. Let kids think and be what they wanna be before they're adults otherwise you'll end up with adults who act like kids!!!
elena said...
I partially agree. Children intelligent enough to have there own opinions and are educated about the issue or conflict they are voting on should be able to vote. However, a great majority of kids in the U.S. go only by there parents opinions. This could cause issues with the voting system as it would just replicate their parents voting tacticts.
Bored77 said...
I think you made a great point and it is completely true.m Many adults have the right but so do many kids. If some adults that are complete morons that know less about politics than my 7 year old brother can vote so can we.
pieceoflight said...
Um, children should not be able to vote. It'd cause major problems, since kids have a tendency to think EXACTLY like their parents. "My parents said Obama is a terrorist." "Seriously?" "Oh my god!" And then everyone has that opinion.

Children aren't mature enough to develop their own opinion, we aren't even that intelligent yet. Just wait your turn like the generations before did. The old suffrage age was 21. Man up.
Jamestheman replied...
Jul. 28, 2011 at 12:34 am
Not all kids, but some.
Lost_After_Dark said...
Dec. 25, 2008 at 4:52 am
I Think You Make A Good Point But Alot Of Teens Have No Idea About Politics And Stuff. Teens Could Vote We Could Mess Up Alot Of Stuff IFf Half Of Us Dont Know What Were Doing.
L.I.B.King said...
Outstanding article! Kids who are 14 year old should able to vote. We could able to make some decision about were we live. As we grow up, we have a lot of responsibility. As this age we should able to know more about government and democracy. If you ask any 8th grader this, they won’t able to tell you any good. We are responsible for our future, and we have to do a better use out of it. This way, the place could be a better place for the kids of the future. We can help.
L.I.B.King said...
Oct. 11, 2008 at 4:00 am
Outstanding article! This is good that kids should able to vote. Kids who are 14 year old and up, can have responsibility to take part in voting. As this age we could learn more about government and democracy. As we grow, we should able to know this. But if u ask any kids won't able to tell you anything about democracy. We need to about our own future.
9spaceking said...
Jan. 23 at 10:19 am
If a 14 year old is not even responsible enough to drive, how can he/she listen to politicians, know their true stances and the problems of the world, and not be easily swayed by lame ads? They have to learn busily in school already; they simply cannot be able to have the privilege to vote! Who knows, the politicians may focus more on teen problems if we allow kids to vote! Nevertheless; a strong essay on the pro position.
Facelessness replied...
10 and over should vote! Kids should have to decide what party, then be able to vote. If they can decide that sort of thing, then they have enough responsibility to vote. Also, they wouldn't have to. It would be optional for those kids who are stupid enough not to want to.
momogoogle replied...
I totally agree i have read this article and you are right were young so what we still have brains right! Maybe the person that gets ellected (Obamma) e.hint hint. jk may be they will  change the law and let us vot
Aaaaa replied...
Feb. 4 at 10:20 pm
Are you telling me this isn't true for adults too?