Kids Should Vote This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Global warming, stock market plunges, housing market at an all-time low, bird flu, and Americans dying in Iraq! When you’re a kid it feels like you’re letting adults plan your future. Adults are voting, but their votes affect the next generation. We are the ones who have to live with their decisions.

In our multimedia-based society kids are exposed to more information than ever. Television, Internet, and satellite news are available 24/7. Polar ice caps are melting, our troops are dying, and people are starving as we watch live. My generation is more aware of what is going on in the world than previous ones. My generation is more likely to be offspring of single-parent families, multi-racial families, and openly gay parents. The world has changed, society is different from when our parents grew up.

Kids are more socially and politically aware; so why can’t we take part in the political process? What would the political environment be like if kids could vote? Perhaps SUVs would be illegal - if you don’t get 35 miles per gallon, you’re off the road. Why are our troops dying in Iraq if no weapons of mass destruction were found? Perhaps we would bring the troops home now, if kids had a say. How come Katrina victims still need help, while we turn away economic aid from other countries? I would vote to accept help from foreign countries. Why does it matter if we agree with their government or leaders if they want to help? Also, my generation doesn’t care who makes up a family. I would vote that families are people who love and care for their children.

My hope is that because children of my generation have more knowledge, they will make the right decisions. My fear is that kids are so busy memorizing Red Sox stats, so concerned with Britney at the VMA Awards or with beating the newest video game, that they may not pay attention to what will affect their lives. On the other hand, don’t some adults focus on these less important things too?

Perhaps only the politically aware should vote, whether they are 14 or 104. If you don’t know how your vote will affect everyone, or how a candidate will govern, then don’t cast a vote. I guess kids couldn’t do any worse.

Migs M. said...
Well, the reason we (kids) don't vote it because we are not mature enough.  Most of the kids I have met don't care about politics or the economy.  Also, when the presidential elections come up, they say that they want to vote for someone  but when you ask them why you will most likely hear, "I don't know" and watch them give you a shrug.  This just PROVES that we aren't mature enough, or aren't smart enough to care.

Jay Money replied...
I really do agree with that Miguel 

Xella714 said...
I agree with this completely, but I also think that you have a bit too high of an opinion of kids today. However, adults are clearly flawed too, and its hypocritical of them to look down on us like we're subhuman.

peachymushroom said...

I agree that her article is a little naive on some issues but she definitely brings up a very fundamental issue on civil liberties in modern society that I side with her on. I was reading some of the arguments against allowing kids to vote in the comments and I just wanted to say:

a) the whole argument about kids' votes being a replica of their parents' is not legitimate. At all. Okay let's establish 14 as the age. So they are at least competent enough to walk into a voting booth where... (more »)

jommelyn07 said...

"Don't you think kids be allowed to vote."Many people say that kids should not be allowed to vote.That's many people say,but they don't give a reason why kids can't vote,many just say that they can't.They maybe young,but that doesn't mean that they can't make difference.

I believe kids should have the right to vote.Yes some kids are mature enough and could possibly have an important opinion.In some ways no....because most kid... (more »)

24-7 said...

Honey what do you know about voting...maybe what you should do is look at how immature 15 -17 and sometimes 18 year old kids act, and you think adults make the wrong choice HA! it's an opinion by the way and i understand what your trying to say but we choose who we choose and you choose who ever you feel like it so just stop ok :)

BY THE WAY replied...
PLEASE, don't act so smart coz there are teens who are mature enough to vote. including me, i don't think every teen would go like "oh look at my lip gloss" and "oh i have got a crush on him" and " wow he's hot!"  excuse me but i think i am mature enough to vote you know...:) to you to.

I.M-14 said...
I know a lot of adults that are misinformed or completely oblivious as to what is going on in the outside world.. like older people they don't accept todays ideas and refuse to move on... they live in the past, I'm very educated.. and aware of what is going on in the outside world, why cant i vote?? i think they should lower the age to something ore reasonable, like 16?/

stanley95 replied...
I agree with you just from 15 an up :)

BY THE WAY replied...
i would hate to break this to you but it's NOT in your hand. :P

jaylins said...
Sept. 29, 2010 at 11:07 am
yes i think kids should vote because adults might pick the wrong person that we dont want

BY THE WAY replied...
WHAT? plz use just a bit of complex vocab k? just kiddin you sound cutie...lol :)

MasterKFJ96 said...
This is a great articule which I agree with. Well written.

Electricity This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Actually, I disagree. It's good kids don't vote, because kids base 99% of their opinions from their parents.

BY THE WAY replied...
smart statistic

Kidleader said...
We should get to vote Because Its our country as well as yours. we have school assembles on demockray but If we don't wet to vote we might as well live in a communist country. People don't respect us. If they show respect for us we show respect. If they discriminate against us we are going to lose respect for them. ===Grown-ups have told us what to do for to long do this, do that, "We are adults and you are children you do not have the right to answer back!!!" there are other things too:... (more »)

BookWorm579 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Kids aren't allowed to vote for several reasons. One of these reasons is that many kids are naive. They haven't experienced as much of life as their parents have. Sure, adults often vote on subjects that affect us in the long-run, but one must remember that we will be voting on issues which affect our parents without the experience to know how they will. Another way kids are naive is that we expect instant-gratification. I don't like the Iraq war any more than anyone else, but I kn... (more »)

Meagan M. said...
Wow, Great job, this very much changed my opinion. It gave me a new outlook on voting as a teen. I know many kids in my school who could take on the responsibility and others who couldn't it is a very good topic to explore.

Amyyy said...
Feb. 14, 2009 at 2:55 am
teens could probably vote, but children?! No way! The only reason my little brother would have voted against Obama is that Obama might take away his precious little BB gun. Young kids only care about themselves (most anyway) because they do not realize the most important things. Let kids think and be what they wanna be before they're adults otherwise you'll end up with adults who act like kids!!!

elena said...
I partially agree. Children intelligent enough to have there own opinions and are educated about the issue or conflict they are voting on should be able to vote. However, a great majority of kids in the U.S. go only by there parents opinions. This could cause issues with the voting system as it would just replicate their parents voting tacticts.

Bored77 said...
I think you made a great point and it is completely true.m Many adults have the right but so do many kids. If some adults that are complete morons that know less about politics than my 7 year old brother can vote so can we.