Kids Should Vote MAG

By Amanda M., Franklin, MA

Global warming, stock market plunges, housing market at an all-time low, bird flu, and Americans dying in Iraq! When you’re a kid it feels like you’re letting adults plan your future. Adults are voting, but their votes affect the next generation. We are the ones who have to live with their decisions.

In our multimedia-based society kids are exposed to more information than ever. Television, Internet, and satellite news are available 24/7. Polar ice caps are melting, our troops are dying, and people are starving as we watch live. My generation is more aware of what is going on in the world than previous ones. My generation is more likely to be offspring of single-parent families, multi-racial families, and openly gay parents. The world has changed, society is different from when our parents grew up.

Kids are more socially and politically aware; so why can’t we take part in the political process? What would the political environment be like if kids could vote? Perhaps SUVs would be illegal - if you don’t get 35 miles per gallon, you’re off the road. Why are our troops dying in Iraq if no weapons of mass destruction were found? Perhaps we would bring the troops home now, if kids had a say. How come Katrina victims still need help, while we turn away economic aid from other countries? I would vote to accept help from foreign countries. Why does it matter if we agree with their government or leaders if they want to help? Also, my generation doesn’t care who makes up a family. I would vote that families are people who love and care for their children.

My hope is that because children of my generation have more knowledge, they will make the right decisions. My fear is that kids are so busy memorizing Red Sox stats, so concerned with Britney at the VMA Awards or with beating the newest video game, that they may not pay attention to what will affect their lives. On the other hand, don’t some adults focus on these less important things too?

Perhaps only the politically aware should vote, whether they are 14 or 104. If you don’t know how your vote will affect everyone, or how a candidate will govern, then don’t cast a vote. I guess kids couldn’t do any worse.

olokai said...
on May. 28 2013 at 10:44 am
i totaly agree with this article but only 10 and up

BY THE WAY said...
on May. 26 2013 at 1:10 pm
smart statistic

BY THE WAY said...
on May. 26 2013 at 1:09 pm
WHAT? plz use just a bit of complex vocab k? just kiddin you sound cutie...lol :)

BY THE WAY said...
on May. 26 2013 at 1:06 pm
i would hate to break this to you but it's NOT in your hand. :P

BY THE WAY said...
on May. 26 2013 at 1:01 pm
PLEASE, don't act so smart coz there are teens who are mature enough to vote. including me, i don't think every teen would go like "oh look at my lip gloss" and "oh i have got a crush on him" and " wow he's hot!"  excuse me but i think i am mature enough to vote you know...:) to you to.

BY THE WAY said...
on May. 26 2013 at 12:53 pm
BTW teens and children might sometimes be immatures but there are others who care just as much as adults and they might have a different  opinion than them. :) to you too

kat18 said...
on Apr. 29 2013 at 1:48 pm
katrina here loves to vote for anything.  

on Apr. 24 2013 at 10:52 am
i think we should vote

Bones96 BRONZE said...
on Feb. 23 2013 at 7:39 pm
Bones96 BRONZE, Charlotte, North Carolina

Life isn't about finding yourself it's about creating yourself-

While you are correct that most adolescents have more information available to them through the internet and news. That doesn't make them capable to take on the responsibility. As adolescents our frontal lobe aren't fully develop till early to mid twenties. (to be clear the frontal lope is the part of the brain that tells us and understands the differences between right and wrong; as well as help make more logical, rational decisions.) Teenagers a lot of the time tend to make rash decisions based on wanting to rebel such as drinking alcohol or taking illegal drugs, ECT. Going back to your argument about having more knowledge that maybe the case but that doesn't mean it is used. Studies also show that with inherited genes and nurture from the parents children often take after their parents even if they change their option later. To sum it up I believe there are some adolescents that are capable to take on that responsibility and may have valid plans. But in the long run we'd have to change how the schools work and how parenting is handled. Most 'kids' as you say are not mature enough. I agree with your concerns and perhaps there should be some kind of test for everyone before voting to determined if that person should vote. Though that will likily never happen.

momogoogle said...
on Oct. 22 2012 at 10:06 pm
I totally agree i have read this article and you are right were young so what we still have brains right! Maybe the person that gets ellected (Obamma) e.hint hint. jk may be they will  change the law and let us vot

trip mane said...
on Mar. 15 2012 at 12:55 pm
yes they should vote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

crazy guy said...
on Mar. 15 2012 at 12:54 pm
i think that kids should be given that responsibility

JayMoney said...
on Mar. 15 2012 at 12:54 pm
I agree with this article because i believe that children should have the right to vote and to have it counted. I fell that is really important as us kids and I take it seriously.

JayMoney said...
on Mar. 15 2012 at 12:54 pm

crazy guy said...
on Mar. 15 2012 at 12:53 pm
kids should not vote because they are not mature enough to be given that responsibility

Jay Money said...
on Mar. 15 2012 at 12:52 pm
I really do agree with that Miguel 

umadbro said...
on Mar. 13 2012 at 1:33 pm
I think that kids should be able to vote. Its there future and aven thought they may make some bad decisions it is still their right. 

Migs M. said...
on Mar. 13 2012 at 12:25 pm
Well, the reason we (kids) don't vote it because we are not mature enough.  Most of the kids I have met don't care about politics or the economy.  Also, when the presidential elections come up, they say that they want to vote for someone  but when you ask them why you will most likely hear, "I don't know" and watch them give you a shrug.  This just PROVES that we aren't mature enough, or aren't smart enough to care.

on Oct. 19 2011 at 9:25 pm
Xella714 BRONZE, Salem, Massachusetts
I agree with this completely, but I also think that you have a bit too high of an opinion of kids today. However, adults are clearly flawed too, and its hypocritical of them to look down on us like we're subhuman.

Jamestheman said...
on Jul. 28 2011 at 12:34 am
Not all kids, but some.

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!